'84 turn signal electrical problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '84 turn signal electrical problem

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #16
MaxDaddy1
1984 CJ7 

I can connect additional grounds to the fixtures. We'll see.

MaxDaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #17
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I got a bit lost. You are saying that the signal lights do work and flash everywhere except for this one front fixture right?

I have had aftermarket pigtails blow out a contact pin before causing the light to stop working. Several times over the years as they are made from thin bent brass, not a solid lug. I have had stock ones wear down, needing a blob of solder on them so they make contact again.

I think I would remove the bulb and see what the two bottom contacts look like.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #18
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago where the right front turn signal would not blink, it would stay on solid and the directional arrow in the speedometer cluster would just stay on. Had good ground to the light reflectors on the factory setup but the plug connection for that light had some corrosion inside the male/female plug. Cleaned it up and applied some dielectric grease to the internals of the plug and it started working again as needed. Pic below is view of said plug.

Also note, the electrical function for the turn signal lights act a little different when headlights are both on and off. When the headlights are off, both the front signals and side marker lamps will blink at the same time. When the headlights are on, the front signals will blink alternately from the side markers. Meaning, front blinker on, side marker off. Front blinker off, side marker light on.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #19
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think you are going to need a test light now and probe inside the socket to see if it's getting any power. Then trace back to the TS switch.

The front TS circuit is a separate circuit from the rear TS circuit. the only lights on the front turn signal circuit are the front turn signal lights, the TS indicators in the speedometer and the side marker lights on the fender. Lets not get into the side marker light at the moment, it will be a bit confusing.

Does the turn signal indicator in the speedometer work? if it does, this is a good sign. It is connected to the front turn signal lamp also so if this lamp is ON , then there is no problem with the Turn signal switch.
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
MaxDaddy1
1984 CJ7 

What does it indicate with only 1 filament working?
Unread 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #21
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDaddy1 View Post
Only 1 filament lights up(now we're getting somewhere). No additional grounds are attached to either fixture. And haven't been for the last 10 years(since I've owned it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDaddy1 View Post
What does it indicate with only 1 filament working?
With it hanging in the air like that with no ground it could be just the running light filament lighting up not the turn signal filament. you would have to check to be sure.

Does you turn signal indicator on the speedo light up?
Unread 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #22
MaxDaddy1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
With it hanging in the air like that with no ground it could be just the running light filament lighting up not the turn signal filament. you would have to check to be sure.

Does you turn signal indicator on the speedo light up?
Yes. It's the running light.
No. The indicator does not light up.

I was hoping it would just be the fixture.

But... It's looking more like I'm going to have to replace the switch.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Unread 05-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #23
Sherrif80
1985 CJ7 

I've been following this because I also need to replace my turn signal switch for my '86. I've seen a couple switches on Quadratec ranging from $40-$60, but I can't see any difference. Can someone help?
Sherrif80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #24
MaxDaddy1
1984 CJ7 

I ordered one from Morris 4x4 center. $32.99.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/turn-si...-56002011.html
Unread 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #25
MaxDaddy1
1984 CJ7 

Well John Strenk. Because of your great article on replacing the ignition switch I felt confident about replacing the turn signal switch (same pathway). However..... Underneath the switch I found 2 electrical connector tabs that appear to be smushed down. I'm not sure if this was the cause of the signal not working or what? And I'm not sure how they're supposed to be bent back?
image.jpg

Unread 06-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #26
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Those are just for the key buzzer. It has no connection on the other end.

Should not have any effect on your turn signal problem but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #27
MaxDaddy1
1984 CJ7 

Thank you!
Unread 06-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #28
MaxDaddy1
1984 CJ7 

A big thank you to John Strenk! I now have fully functional turn signals. I could not(would not) have done it without his excellent tutorial on how to do it.

Thanks again!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.