84 CJ7 Stuck Oil Pan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 CJ7 Stuck Oil Pan

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Marsh4130
1984 CJ7 

84 CJ7 Stuck Oil Pan

I'm new to Jeeps, but had always wanted one... I got one... Been fixing more than driving.

It's got a 258, stock. I have read every thread on the internet. I'm attempting to replace my RMS. I've read all of the RMS threads on multiple forums. I pulled the passenger motor mount and removed all the bolts from the pan but the thing won't budge. I've tried the wedge a putty knife trick, the pry bar, beat with a mallet and a hammer, done pull ups from the skid plate... everything. It's won't budge. Ideas? Thanks!

Marsh4130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Bigger hammer?

Sounds like the last owner did a great job sealing it with RTV. You're gonna have to get in there and break that seal with a putty knife, and you may wind up replacing the oil pan after all is said and done unfortunately.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Marsh4130
1984 CJ7 

Thanks! I'm not worried about the pan. I already have a replacement one as the current one took a hard hit somewhere and is dented. I've had a hard time getting the putty knife in because of the lack of room to hit the back of it with a hammer. I've thought about drilling some holes in it and attempting to "winch" it of with some brilliant rigging job to get downward force on the pan. Any advice on good or bad idea?

I read on another, inferior forum the idea of putting a jack under the bottom of the pan and jacking it up tight, let it sit, and see what happens.... I'm currently doing that.
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Marsh4130
1984 CJ7 

Random question - Does the flywheel inspection place have to come off for the pan to drop? It looks like mine (plate) is bolted on through the bottom two bolts AND the bolts that also bolt on the clutch piece. I pulled the bottom two bolts and loosened the two bolts holding the clutch piece. The plate would swivel a bit, but not come totally off. It doesn't look like it has to come off.
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
CJuncky
1981 CJ5 

You might try putting a board on pan and a small hyd jack between frame and board.apply some pressure with jack and hit pan with heavy mallet. I haven't used a jack before but have had buddy hold board on pan and hit board with sledge hammer. Board will protect pan

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
80 CJ7 258/auto/d 44 diffs/ 4" lift/rebuild started 80 CJ7 #2 stock(sold)
82 CJ7 stock DD
CJuncky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I use a 1 inch wood chisel for those absolutely glued on pans or valve covers. And if you sharpen them to a real sharp edge, they do great at surface cleaning of old gasket material.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

as tito said use a wood chisel,
its flat on one side so it should not damage your motor block surface and place all the pressure on the pan.

try to find out what the po used to install the pan and be sure to not use that material again.
he was very confident of his work, that he would never have to go back in there again.

I am not that confident of my work, as I have had to (lick the calf over) a few times over the years.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I would bet the PO/shop used weatherstrip adhesive. That s**t is the most nasty stuff to use on gaskets.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Marsh4130
1984 CJ7 

Does the flywheel inspection place have to come off for the pan to drop? It looks like mine (plate) is bolted on through the bottom two bolts AND the bolts that also bolt on the clutch piece. I pulled the bottom two bolts and loosened the two bolts holding the clutch piece. The plate would swivel a bit, but not come totally off. It doesn't look like it needs to.
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
titomars
1981 CJ7 

No. It does not need to come off unless someone bent the thing and its interfering with the pan rail in the rear. You can shine a light up between the two and look neither should be touching.
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Keith_b00ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh4130 View Post
Been fixing more than driving.
Sounds about right for a Jeep.
Keith_b00ne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.