84' cj7 Replacement wiring harness issues! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84' cj7 Replacement wiring harness issues!

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Tom1382

84' cj7 Replacement wiring harness issues!

I am replacing a hacked up harness with an oem one from another cj and I cant get it to turn over. No power at all! I think the problem is at the starter solenoid. The old harness seems to be modified just enough to get the jeep to run, no power to anything, else but the engine ran like a champ. I put in the new harness and I have 2 light blue wires at the starter solenoid with no where to go. Im not sure the solenoid is stock. I think these are the fusible link wires but i cant figure out where they go. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. 1984 cj7 258 weber carb.

Tom1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

First does it not run or not crank?

If they are the original color code, blue should go to the "S" on the starter solenoid the other to the ignition module. Possibly to a NSS depending upon year.

The stock starter solenoid should have two small terminals. An "I" that runs to the (+) of the ignition coil (Red) and an "S" that comes from the ignition switch (Blue).
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Tom1382

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
First does it not run or not crank?

If they are the original color code, blue should go to the "S" on the starter solenoid the other to the ignition module. Possibly to a NSS depending upon year.
No it doesnt run. The new harness seems to be stock and in good shape. And it ran fine this morning when i removed the old harness so im pretty sure all my grounds are ok.
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Tom1382

OK, I think it has to be a fusible link issue. the only thing that seems like it might be a fusible link (no idea!) is a yellow wire connector on a red wire on the battery cable side of the ignition solenoid. it seems fine though. Any other fuse or grounds under the dash perhaps that i might check?

Last edited by Tom1382; 01-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I have an 84' CJ so this picture may help. All CJ's are pretty much wired the same way.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Tom1382

thanks Keith and John. I got it to fire right up after I loosened and re tightened all my connections. I think it was a rubber wire boot that wasn't letting my wire contact on the solenoid. took 7 hours to figure that out!
Unread 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
greene86cj
1986 CJ7 

Quick question for Keith. I noticed in your pic your solenoid is wired with the positive lead from your battery that shares the post with the lead to the alternator is on the "I" side of the solenoid, ie the firewall side. The positive lead to the starter is on the "s" side. Mine is wired the opposite. Does it matter which post, or are they interchangeable? Also, I have an 999 auto and I am wondering if my n safety switch is connected correctly (where does it tie to the solenoid at?) can you override the ns switch? Sorry to high jack the thread.
greene86cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
MigBike

A volt meter is MUST HAVE in ones tool box in my opinion, mine just saved me from spending another 4 hours trying to figure out the ignition wiring with my painless wiring harness, which by the way, is not painless at all... especially since their help hotline and website are both down! and as for your terminal post question green, it should be interchangeable, there is just a bridge inside that connects the two terminals when the solenoid becomes energized.
MigBike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power , restoration , solenoid , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.