84 CJ7 Rear Driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 CJ7 Rear Driveshaft

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 06-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Chrisfol82

84 CJ7 Rear Driveshaft

I have an 84 CJ7 with about a ~4 1/2" lift, dana 300 tcase, and AMC20 rear.

Currently i have the stock drive shaft and maybe about a 1/2" tcase drop.

Offroad i dont seem to have much trouble, but on road there is a pretty noticeable vibration. I didnt have time to fix it in the past, but now i do and would like to get it working better.

I want to swap to a double cardan shaft but had a few questions.

To change my rear axle input angle to point up towards the tcase output, shoudl i go with angle shims, or weld on new perches? I think im leaning towards welding on new perches.

On the tcase end with the doubel cardan shaft can i use the stock tcase output yoke? Looking at the tom woods website for CJ's it looks like they reccomend a flanged connection rather than the stock type yoke, why is this?

I understand i coudl use an XJ front shaft and tcase output. Anyone done this? The tcase output matches up with the Dana 300 tcase correctly i assume and i just ahve to shorten the shaft? When i shorten is do i make it so that the shaft is in the middle of its stroke at normal ride height?

When i rotate my rear axle to work with the double cardan shaft is it ok to run with the stock driveshaft until i get my new shaft installed?

Any help would be appreciated

Chrisfol82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Just finished up the lift on mine...4.5 RE lift, left out the case drop. Welded on new perches to index the rear end. I went with a double carden shaft, so changed out the output on the D300.

No vibrations what-so-ever.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I built my own DC rear from a XJ front. The output yoke on the NP231 has the same splines as the Dana 300 (26). It bolts right up. I spent $50 on my complete setup.

Full write up on it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/di...ne-cj-1444192/

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
I built my own DC rear from a XJ front. The output yoke on the NP231 has the same splines as the Dana 300 (26). It bolts right up. I spent $50 on my complete setup.

Full write up on it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/di...ne-cj-1444192/
I did something similar... I used a shortened XJ front driveshaft for my son's TJ.

I used an NP231 yoke with a Tom Woods driveshaft on my CJ7.

I don't like shims for either axle. I welded on new perches.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.