84 CJ7 Rear Driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 CJ7 Rear Driveshaft

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Chrisfol82

84 CJ7 Rear Driveshaft

I have an 84 CJ7 with about a ~4 1/2" lift, dana 300 tcase, and AMC20 rear.

Currently i have the stock drive shaft and maybe about a 1/2" tcase drop.

Offroad i dont seem to have much trouble, but on road there is a pretty noticeable vibration. I didnt have time to fix it in the past, but now i do and would like to get it working better.

I want to swap to a double cardan shaft but had a few questions.

To change my rear axle input angle to point up towards the tcase output, shoudl i go with angle shims, or weld on new perches? I think im leaning towards welding on new perches.

On the tcase end with the doubel cardan shaft can i use the stock tcase output yoke? Looking at the tom woods website for CJ's it looks like they reccomend a flanged connection rather than the stock type yoke, why is this?

I understand i coudl use an XJ front shaft and tcase output. Anyone done this? The tcase output matches up with the Dana 300 tcase correctly i assume and i just ahve to shorten the shaft? When i shorten is do i make it so that the shaft is in the middle of its stroke at normal ride height?

When i rotate my rear axle to work with the double cardan shaft is it ok to run with the stock driveshaft until i get my new shaft installed?

Any help would be appreciated

Chrisfol82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Just finished up the lift on mine...4.5 RE lift, left out the case drop. Welded on new perches to index the rear end. I went with a double carden shaft, so changed out the output on the D300.

No vibrations what-so-ever.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I built my own DC rear from a XJ front. The output yoke on the NP231 has the same splines as the Dana 300 (26). It bolts right up. I spent $50 on my complete setup.

Full write up on it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/di...ne-cj-1444192/

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
I built my own DC rear from a XJ front. The output yoke on the NP231 has the same splines as the Dana 300 (26). It bolts right up. I spent $50 on my complete setup.

Full write up on it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/di...ne-cj-1444192/
I did something similar... I used a shortened XJ front driveshaft for my son's TJ.

I used an NP231 yoke with a Tom Woods driveshaft on my CJ7.

I don't like shims for either axle. I welded on new perches.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.