84 CJ7 Hubs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 CJ7 Hubs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
locoasset

84 CJ7 Hubs

Have an 84' CJ7 and I am going to replace the factory Hubs. I have it down to Superwinch, Mile Marker, and Rugged Ridge. Anybody have any experiences with any of these that may be helpful?

locoasset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Do the Warn premium 6 bolt conversion. Here are what mine look like...don't mind the old rims.

85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

I like the Mile Markers. They're cheaper and almost identical to Warns, but Warn does a cast casing that is chrome plated, Mile Markers are a solid piece of stainless that's been machined and polished.

addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
locoasset

I didn't know about the WARN conversion kit. I'll look into it today. Thanks for the feedback!
locoasset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
CSP

It's not a Warn conversion kit. You swap your wheel bearing hubs which use five bolts to retain the lockouts to the earlier type that use six bolts. At that point you can purchase Warn Premium lockouts, which are not available in the five bolt variety.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Valkyrie0002
2009 JK Wrangler 

I installed MM last year. Bought them online from Advance Auto for less than $90 with coupon. Much beefier than stock hubs.
Valkyrie0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy swapped out his 5 bolt to the 6 bolt style after blowing his hubs to smitherines. He had the stock Warn ones but upgraded to the Warn premium with 6 bolts. They are much beefier. He also has some Mile Markers that look exactly the same for spares.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoasset View Post
Have an 84' CJ7 and I am going to replace the factory Hubs. I have it down to Superwinch, Mile Marker, and Rugged Ridge. Anybody have any experiences with any of these that may be helpful?
First off,
Lets get the terminology correct here,

HUBS (Short For WHEEL BEARING HUB) are what the wheel bearings mount into, the brake rotor and wheel bolt up to.

The 'LOCK OUTS' are what I think you are talking about.

Second,
An '84 has 5 bolt LOCKOUTS on the 'Wheel Bearing Hubs'.
If you want 'Premium' Lockouts, you will have to change over to 6 bolt hole Wheel Bearing Hubs so you can use the Premium Lockouts, they all have at least 6 bolts securing them to the Hubs.

It's not a big deal, No worse than changing the wheel bearings.
I would pull the spindle while the hub is off and check your inside (only) spindle bearing and seals since it's only 6 bolts to get at it if you take the hubs off for change...

85 Laredo CJ7 has a very good picture of what you need to upgrade to 'Premium' lockouts.
The larger things are the Hubs, wheel bearings, wheel studs, you reuse the lug studs in most cases,
And then the 6 bolt Axle Lock Outs.

---------------------------------------------------

I like the fit and finish of Mile Marker over Warn.
I shouldn't say that, but the last few sets of Warn Premiums I've received I had to file off burrs, nicks, smooth down gasket surfaces, ect. to make them work smoothly.

The little Allen head screws that hold the switch on the outside of the lockout are JUNK, pressed 'China' crap.
I ran around for half a day to source some reasonable screws to replace the junk Warn sent me.
Got a nice box of them now, so I replace everything I work on with good fasteners.

Haven't had to do that with Mile Marker, they just bolt on out of the box and work like they are supposed to.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Exactly, not a "kit" so to speak, but just what's needed to do it.
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

loco,
question:
why are you changing out the OE front locking hubs?
I still have the OE front locking hubs on my 1984 jeep, they still seem to work ok, I have had them serviced once, many years ago.

I run them locked in, for at least 1 to 3 miles twice a year, so far that system has worked.

Was just interested, if yours had gone bad, what were the signs, how did they act, etc:

Is there anything else I need to do to mine, to maintain them in operational condition.
Thanks,
Fred
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.