'84 CJ7 Engine Conversion to GM 4.3 Vortec - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '84 CJ7 Engine Conversion to GM 4.3 Vortec

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 04-02-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
tcarlton
1984 CJ7 

'84 CJ7 Engine Conversion to GM 4.3 Vortec

I'm wanting to start a thread as I work through my engine swap. This is the largest mechanical project I have began so I want to poll the experts and share the experience. I live in Northern California so the swap will need to be smog legal.

About me:
I'm a student at Southern Oregon University and live in Redding, CA. I'm not a master mechanic but have done everything I can within my limits.

The Jeep:
I have an 84 CJ7 that had an underpowered 4 cylinder, so i bought a 4.3 engine out of a 2000 blazer. It came with the 4L60E tran, GM radiator(which doesn't fit), everything under the hood including computer, wiring harness, starter, fuse boxes, etc.(Got it all for $1150)

Where i am now:
I have pulled out my old engine and tranny. Unbolted the transfer case which i am going to use(Dana 300). This weekend I am going to undercoat the body and spray a bedliner material in the engine compartment(If i get that far.) cost for this will be around $150 for materials.

Things to buy:
tranny to transfer case adapter... about $450, and another $200ish for a shop to install shafts.
conversion radiator... $275 ebay
engine mounts... $130 novak
twin stick transfer case... $100
lokar auto floor shifter... $175 ebay

My biggest question about the swap is wiring. Painless doesn't do a wiring harness for post '99 GM V6 engine conversions. My first choice would be to use the harness out of the blazer. Any expertise on this would be great. I assume I have to just eliminate what i don't need and plug everything in. My friend tells me i'm naive and can't use it. I'll try to get some pics up throughout various stages of the swap. Questions and answers are welcomed. Thanks for reading

tcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
stlouis400ex

I would start with a hanes manual for a 02 blazer.. they would have wiring in it.
stlouis400ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
BillsFan
1986 CJ7 

My uncle took a I4 out of a early 80's Mercury Zephyr and put it in my dads 1979 MGB utilizing the Zephyr harness. If he can do that I don't see why you couldnt use the Blazer harness.

Good luck with it, keep us posted! That 4.3 is a great engine!
BillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
Redmanchew
1982 CJ7 

TC,
CHeck out some of my posts along with Dirtman13. We have both done the swap. He is in cali so he is your best resource for the referee. As for wiring i sent mine to Fuel Injection Specialties, 300 for flashing the ECU 300 for the wiring and it came back perfect. GIve them a call and talk to Tracey or Jeff "the wire guy".
I did mine last May and was up and on the trails in 4 weeks total.
Any questions feel free to shoot me a PM!

Haha!!! another one converting to the dark side......

Side note, you didnt get the engine harness when you got the motor??? Mine came with it...
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
tcarlton
1984 CJ7 

I did get the harness when I bought the blazer motor. I just got a chilton manual for the blazer, i also have a book for the jeep. Thanks for the resources, $600 sounds like a great deal for the wiring and flashing the ECU. I'll probably attempt the harness in a couple weeks. The jeep is in Redding, Ca, and I go to school in Oregon during the week, so a 4 week timeline is not gonna happen, I only get 2 nights a week on it. Any recommendations to beef up the heating? What do you think about A/C? Redding gets up to 110 degrees regularly in summer.
tcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

You can use the wiring from the blazer and defintely want to keep the fuel injection on the 4.3. Check out this site for some info, not exactly your swap, but has all the info you need to know what wires go to where.
http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums...ad.php?t=47254

On the adapter - You can use a NP 205 adapter for about $40 or so off ebay and then buy a D300 input shaft for about $175 from JB conversions - Saves you big time on the AA or Novak adapters. The NP 205 adapter clocks your TC up some, which makes for a tight front drive shaft fit, but it works.

You can buy a new 3 core conversion radiator from Jeepdoc.com for $200.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
sprtsmedx
1986 CJ7 

Hey Guys, I'm in the beginning process of putting a 1995 4.3l V6 motor into my 86 cj7. I live in California and my biggest concerns are obviously emissions and smog check. I had to purchase this motor because the jeep came with a solid 403 v8 but it was a 79 and won't get through inspection due to the older engine in newer vehicle. Anyway, I bought this motor out of what I was told a 1995 blazer. The vehicle was an automatic and I'm going with a manual 5 speed NV3550 tranny. The guy had the computer for the engine but couldn't put together the wireharness. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can get this up and running. Basically I think I may have to buy the computer that was intended for the manual 5 speed model and then figure out the emissions and wireharness. Anyone gone through this process for passing smog in CA? I was hoping you guys could help me with some links or companies that offer California emissions harnesses. I've called PAINLESS and they said NO, only for off road... I'm wondering if I will just need to go to a GM dealer in town and talk with them?? Any help would be great! Thanks guys!
sprtsmedx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.