84 CJ7 Diamond plating - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Macoob2003
1984 CJ7 

Garage
84 CJ7 Diamond plating

My 84 CJ7 rustbucket is in need of some help. At the moment I don't have time or funds to replace the bucket. How long will diamond plating & other "add-on" body mods hold King Rusty together? What are my best options as far as rear panels & side rails?

You don't always have to be at your best, but it helps to be at your best when it counts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 12:19 PM
jeepwhore
1984 CJ7 

Got pictures? Without seeing it my bigger concern would be the frame. If the tub is so questionable it needs to be bandaged together with checker plate I'd be worried the frame is similar or worse in which case it probably shouldn't be on the road.

That said, if there's enough meat to bolt checker plate to it would certainly be stronger than gaping holes of rust. It'll look pretty hack but I would just get a sheet of checker plate and start cutting it up to fit.

'84 CJ-17: 17" stretch, locked Toy axles, 5.5" lift, FI, AX15, D300 w/twin sticks, boatsides & junk.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Macoob2003
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks jeepwhore! Frame & other components are fine. Lots of body cancer. Wanting to hold body together until I can do a tub swap. Band aids in essence. I'll post pictures as soon as I am over this darned flu!

You don't always have to be at your best, but it helps to be at your best when it counts.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Macoob2003
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks Jeepwhore. Frame & other components are fine. Just a case of bad body cancer. Looking for a band aid until I can do a tub swap. I'll post pictures as soon as I am over this flu.

post #5 of 16 Old 03-19-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Macoob2003
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks Jeepwhore. Rust is only on the body - nothing else. I'll post pictures once I'm over the flu. Just looking for a 3 to 5 year band-aid.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Macoob2003
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Here's my Rusty. I think Diamond Plating will help for a few years... Other than a new tub, what suggestions do you have?
Attached Images

post #7 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

IMHO, the diamond plate will only speed up the existing rust. Leave it 'as is', until you decided to repair it.

Doesn't look all that bad, so don't know why you'd want to swap tubs.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #8 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Macoob2003
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks for the input HackFabrication. I'm going to "listen" a lot before making any decisions. Appreciate you input.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macoob2003 View Post
Appreciate you input.
Ya want rust??? Here's RUST:

Honestly, if you've got the time/tools/etc., from what I'm looking at, it's fixable. Mine wasn't economically.
WSS likes this.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #10 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 PM
CSP

Agreed, diamond plate is just going to give moisture a place to sit that it doesn't already have. If you're in Colorado it's not going to go to pot like it would in the Midwest or New England, if that's what you're used to.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 PM
hickslawns
1982 CJ5 

I agree. I'd leave it alone. If I felt compelled to do anything to slow down the rust I would give it a quick sanding and slap some POR 15 on it, some undercoating, or even just primer. You could even just slap some oil on a rag and wipe it down once a month or something. Common for farm machinery to get wiped down with oil if being put away for the season. On our snow equipment we clean them and spray them down with Fluid Film in the summer. Salt spreaders are washed after storms and sprayed down with Fluid Film between snow events. This would also work for your needs.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickslawns View Post
or even just primer

Primer, except for epoxy primer, is permeable. It does nothing to stop the metal underneath from rusting.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 AM
WSS
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

If you do intend to swap tubs, then a few aluminum skins might work, does not have to be diamond plate if it's not your style. Brushed aluminum looks good too. Prep your rusty stuff with some por15 and seal the skins good with silicone.

It's advice only if you do intend to swap tubs, it will get you your required time but may make things worse if you want to repair the tub. Depends on how much moisture it will see.

Do you drive in the rain or do mud runs? Me no likey either.

WSS
post #14 of 16 Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 AM
RadioRadio
1980 CJ5 

Diamonplate would just trap more moisture, as others said. Here's what I'd do:

1. Sand down the rusty areas
2. Spray on some Phosphoric acid solution (like SEM Rust Mort) and let it convert and stabilize the rust
3. Apply POR15 over top of the converted rust
4. Rattlecan over some closely matching white paint

Your tub doesn't look to bad...you may be suprised at the results.

RadioRadio | 1980 CJ-5
post #15 of 16 Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Macoob2003
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Wow! I'm overwhelmed with the support, suggestions, and advice everyone is willing to supplant! Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.