84 CJ7 4in Lift advice-new to jeep thing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 CJ7 4in Lift advice-new to jeep thing

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

84 CJ7 4in Lift advice-new to jeep thing

Hi all,
I just purchsed a 1984 moneypit and was hoping for some advice. Reading through these forums I have come to the conclusion that these lift questions are normally repeated and shunned! Well here comes another! I have decided that I immediately want to do the following things:
4" BDS Lift (unless you talk me into a diff. brand)
33s
tie rod flip,
steering box supports

I have a few questions regarding the lift, mainly drive shaft. Ive read a bunch of guys dont like the transfer case drop and I was curious what problems I will have in the driveshaft dept. Also if anyone has installed this lift, any problems I might run into. Like i said, I am new to all of this and will be trial and erroring my way through. I appreciate any help!

RedRaiderCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

Welcome to JF.
I have the BDS lift system and love it it flexes well and rides well.
You can check out some stuff in my build thread about a lot of little things people forget but I also went up 4 inches and refused to drop my T Case. This presents you with very few solutions. The best solution in my mind is get yourself a cv rear drive shaft (Curtis Tatton is great to deal with) and shim or weld new rear axle perches on to get your pinion to point directly at the output yoke of the case.

That being said the tie rod flip will allow you to gain ground clearance and not need to install a dropped drag link. I have a steering box brace and M.O.R.E. steering box mount to stiffen her up a lot.

My front drive shaft only extended about a 1/2 inch between my 2.5 inch lift so you will need to investigate that.

After your lift you need to make sure your front castor is within 3 to 6 degrees. After My lift I have just under 1 degree causing the jeep to wonder all over, and difficult to drive. I have 4 degree shims coming and if that is my magic number I will end up welding on new spring hangers in the future.

You will need extended brake lines as well.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thank you bigred,
So it sounds like a new driveshaft is inevitable. How much do they run? Would it be cheaper to try to get my current one modified? Also, I take it that the BDS kit doesnt come with shims?

I checked out your build thread and I must say that is nice work sir. I dont plan on mine ever looking that nice. Thanks again for your help!
Unread 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

The BDS kit did come with shims but depending on your drive train configuration you can have many different lengths of drive shafts which affects the pinion angle. I think they threw in some 4 degree shims with the kit.

The drive shaft from Curtis Tatton (you can find him on ebay) was like 260 bucks I think. He builds awesome stuff. Because your factory shaft wasnt a CV I am assuming you still dont have one so you wont be able to reuse that shaft or even have it reworked and save any money. Just pull the trigger on Curtis's and be happy. You will need to get the lift on get he jeep on teh ground then make you measurements. You can reference Tom Woods drive shaft site on how to measure for the new shaft.

Thanks for you comments on my CJ. I have long winters and time to tinker.
Its a sickness!

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
Unread 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Did you have to replace/modify your front drive shaft? Also, what is your jeep geared to? I've read aroung and it looks like 4.56 might be right for mr but I'm kindof worried about what it might do at highway speeds.
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I did change my front drive shaft but not because of lift. I did a complete powertrain swap that dictated the change.
You might not need to have yours lengthened.
I have 3.54 gears and with my 33's it gives me a good balance between highway rpm and power with my V8 and 3 spd auto but 4.56s with your 5 speed might be a good balance. I am thinking about 4.10's in the future.

Tags
jeep build , jeep cj7 , jeep forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.