84 Cj7 258 Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 Cj7 258 Question

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-30-2002, 10:38 AM   #1
Buckeye

84 Cj7 258 Question

My 258 seems to be flooding out at low rpms and will finally stop running. I rebuilt the carb and still is doing the samething. Where do I go from here spark plugs, wires etc..? I can hear a lifter pecking every so often also.The jeep sat around for about a year and I thought about swaping a 360 in for the 258 but seems expensive. Does the problem sound like easy fix on the 258 and make it worth keeping? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Buckeye
P.S. This is a great site which I found last night.

Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2002, 11:24 AM   #2
johny1i

Don't worry about the lifter tapping if it's very intermittent. Mine has done that when it's cold for the 80,000 miles that I've owned it. My jeep had been pulled behind a motorhome, so like yours, it had essentially sat, but with time the lifter tapping has gotten much less frequent. I'll have to think about that carb question--maybe the float adjustment? Another possibility could be that the oxygen sensor isn't working and the computer is therefore screwing with the mixture erroneously. Your readings on an oxygen sensor should be between 100 and 1000 mV, with 400 mV being the optimum 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. My computer has been bypassed and the oxygen sensor is therefore useless, so I can't say much more about troubleshooting it.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.