84 CJ 7 starts + idles for 2mins and cuts off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 CJ 7 starts + idles for 2mins and cuts off

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
SeaJay7

84 CJ 7 starts + idles for 2mins and cuts off

it will start fine and idle for about a minute, but after that it chokes off like it's not getting the right fuel mix/air mix and then cuts off. All the emissions stuff has been removed and pluged up. The only hosing remainin are the pcv valve and the vacuum advance. I. Does anyone have an idea off what could be wrong. Vacuum line leaks are my only idea, gonna start checkin them later. One more random question. Should the vacuum advance be atached above or below the carb/manifold plate? Thankyou for your time and help. -Anthony

SeaJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
IdahoJeeper
1995 ZJ 

Anthony....how about more info so we can assist better....what engine, what carb, what mods do you have? Do you still have/use the fuel filter with the "return" line? Just need some more info and there are lots of guys here that will gladly assist.

Good luck!!
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
littleturner76
1984 CJ8 

You should probably give more details, like: was your Jeep running fine and this just started, or has it been parked, or did you just remove all the emmissions ect..............Check this out, kinda sounds like a problem I had. I changed just about everything I could before I tried the gas can. Read this post and it might help you narrow your problem down and save you some headache.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/je...-2-min-783211/
Unread 04-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
All the emissions stuff has been removed and pluged up. The only hosing remainin are the pcv valve and the vacuum advance.
Unplug the line that went from the charcoal can to the tank. Let the tank breathe, and it'll run. Better thought - connect the charcoal back up so you don't have to smell the gas fumes as it vents out..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
SeaJay7

IdahoJeeper - the engine is a 258 inline 6 (5 speed). The carb is a Carter 0 (2731). I honestly don't know what the zero offest on the carb denotes. here's a link to the carb plate with all the info. http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-03185417.jpg

Littlturner76 - I got it cheap because of that. It was sitting for a bit, but ran fine to get gas to take it home, but then we came back to the guy we bought it from and parked it out front to come get later. When we came back it would start and stay running when you tap the accelerator, however if you let off it would cut off.

Cutlass327 - I'll try that.
Thankyou guys(and gals)
I also just put up some more photos
here: Pictures by SeaJay7 - Photobucket

And here are two visual questions.
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...carbhelp-1.jpg
The original is here if you can please go in paint and redraw the two or 3 hoses in question correctly and reupload to imgur or somewhere please and thankyou.
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...4-03190903.jpg

Here's the second question:
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...utterfly-1.jpg
That is as far as the carb butterfly will close, is that enough because I was always under the impression it should be flat.

Thankyou guys for your time and help.
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay7 View Post

Here's the second question:

That is as far as the carb butterfly will close, is that enough because I was always under the impression it should be flat.

Thankyou guys for your time and help.
That's a choke flap...supposed to be open (all the way) when the engine is warm...could be at least a big part of your problem.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
SeaJay7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter402 View Post
That's a choke flap...supposed to be open (all the way) when the engine is warm...could be at least a big part of your problem.
The engine is off in all of these photo's.
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay7 View Post
The engine is off in all of these photo's.
Okay, that's fine. It doesn't necessarily "need" to be flat....all depends on the cold running/starting characteristics of your engine. If it starts up fine when its cold, there's no need to adjust the choke flap closed any more than it is.

What I am trying to say, however, is that if the choke flap remains in that position after 2 minutes of running, then the engine "begins to run roughly, as if it is not getting the right fuel/air mix, then dies" this COULD be part of the issue...choke flap blocks off airflow into the carb, richening the fuel mixture. Great for cold starts, kills it when the engine is warm. I'd make sure that your choke is opening up enough when the engine is running/warm, that's all I was saying.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
SeaJay7

Ah ok, thankyou. How would i go about adjusting the choke flap?
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

If you have not downloaded the Factory Service Manual yet, get on it. Can't live without it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/84...ml#post6991784
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
SeaJay7

awesome, downloading it now, thankyou
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Looks like you still have most of the emission parts to me.
If I read your post correctly,
It will stay running, but you have to keep the rpm's up when it wants to die.
Sounds like the carb needs rebuilt.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
SeaJay7

ok, thankyou. sorry for double posting

Tags
cj7 , idle , pcv , vacuum advance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.