84 Cj 7 Slow build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 Cj 7 Slow build thread

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

84 Cj 7 Slow build thread

Heres some pics of my mutual project with a friend.

84 CJ-7 300 plus an unused glock.

Came with every thing but a radiator, hood, tub, dash and the windshield frame is rotted out. But it did come with a hard top and set of hard doors.

Decided the new tires that were one it would get sold to buy a tub. Like a christmas miracle found a local guy with a tub (decent shape) hood already smoothed and sanded (rust free) dash, solid windsheild frame, and radiator. So tire got sold and tub picked up

I have a set of rollers so the tires wont be missed for now. so for 300 bucks and an unwanted glock were on our way to a CJ

88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

cant beat that deal!
4lowherewego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
mavsfan001
1983 CJ7 

Looks like a good start!!!!! Keep the pictures coming as you go along. Do you have a plan for the build engine, powertrain, lift, axles?
mavsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Bglenut
1976 CJ7 

Looks like FUN
Bglenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan001 View Post
Looks like a good start!!!!! Keep the pictures coming as you go along. Do you have a plan for the build engine, powertrain, lift, axles?
right now its just a budget build and main concern is to get it on the road so the wives will be happy that its actually moves.. they were not very happy with the parts and peices that it came in. It has the 6cyl, auton 20 rear and 30 frot.. as far as the lift goes it will have to wait for a bit. again main concern os getting on the road.

Heres some more pics
when we got it I know the frame had some rot on the drivers side near the motor mounts. I could tell it was split and soft enough to move when I squeezed it. I ddint however know it was in this bad of shape

for most of it I had to replace only the bpttom 2 inches. But up by the motor mount brackets I had to replace all the way up to the top 2 holes

Heres the motor mount bolts.. Im thinking the PO must have cruise the salt water a bunch with it

after welding in replacement metal on the inside we made reinforcing plates that ran from the front shock mounts to the rear spring hanger for the outside on both sides.. Ill try to get some pics of those in a day or two.. My buddy has the frame at his place.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.

Last edited by jimbos76cj; 05-08-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot I started a build page here.. I'll update and upload more pics soon
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heres my update

Got the tub up on some jack stands to make it easier to work when I realized the few rusty area were all in major stress points and it actually started to bend right behind the door openings. I did some trading to get the diamond plate corner and rocker covers, that will cut down on a ton of body work

heres the tub on the frame. Its sitting on temporary 2x4 body mounts.

Hood, wind shield frome and grill primered

Finally got the proper body mounts on it and bolted it down.. that squared it up nicely. Doing some metal work on it. and the lift is on.. I cant remeber if its 3 or 4 inches but for $150 bucks cant beat it.

Unread 10-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Doing so good with it. every thing was moving right along then I decided to pull the plugs and see how well the motor spins.. no spin!! yup water in 2 cylinders. Luckily it cleaned up pretty well. I pulled the head apart installed new valve seals and lapped them so hopefully they are nice a tight. I got the head back on a few days ago and just need to orque it down them Im going to run a compresion check and hopefully run it like it is. Its going to be a trail rig so a little smoke wont bother it to much

Since I got alot of this jeep in boxes I went through them and "installed" most of the interior parts to see what was missing.. suprisingly not much! I also got a list of nuts and bolts needed to reassemble.

Got some paint on the hood.. I was using the duplicolor paint shop stuff but its not working out to well so Im changing gears to another option.

I also painted the hood and loosley assembled its major parts.

Like I said earlier I hope to get the motor back together this week. and begin the sand blasting the tub to get it ready for paint. then it sould go together pretty quickly
Unread 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time to swap the glass over from the bad frame to the good one.Decided what the hell and went for it. the most nerve wrecking 5 minutes of this whole entire jeep project. It was alot easier then every one has made it sound. Knocked it out on the first try.

I also did a lil pre assembly on the dash.
[img]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/jimbotheshaker/36221ace.jpg[/img
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got it painted and I'm waiting for some free days to finish. Here's where it's at now.

I have to get the roll bar straight and installed, then button up all the little things
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

WOW.. just realized I havent updated this in a while.. heres some pics from the last few months.

Took it to the tach school I work at and had the kids help a bunch

Windshield mounted

Rear

Front

Unread 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got it all the way together, then decided to fix the brakes to get it on the road when it was decided that the front end was toast.. all the TRE's bearing and brakes were shot so we decided to swaqp out to some FSJ axles I had laying around the yard.

44 front

Got my new welder and had a buddy that's a good welder come by and give me some pointers. 2hrs and half a spool of wire later I was ready to get to work making the outboard mounts

Postman dropped off my new rear spring mounts

Welded the support plate on it.. The plate wasn't a tight fit but I managed
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alrighty.. Back onto the build with a few hiccups. The front end has been gone through and set up. I'm hoping to get the steel to make my own shackles this week and the right spring plates that I need for the pass drop 44. I need to get the rear dropped off to Brian for the gear swap and set up.
Now here's where the hiccup comes in. When we first got the jeep the frame had a bunch of rot that we repaired and reinforced. When I started to measure for mocking up the out board set up I realized the was alot of interference were the reinforcing plates were, where the new spring mounts need to go and the area where the rot was repaired. So then I became paranoid that the frame wouldn't take the eccentric load that the outboard brackets would apply on the front spring mount. I ended up making the tough choice of swapping frames. Luckily I have a few extra frames laying around and one is already set up for full width axles. So today I drug it onto the deck and got to work cutting off in-needed brackets. The rear of the frame needs a little love it I thing I may cut the rear 6" of the original frame off and weld it onto the new frame. Here's how the day started.

After doin some slow cutting and waiting for my air tank to refill I got it to here.. I know it's not much progress but it's nice to get back at it again.

Hopefully after a week or two it should be ready for a parts swap.. Maybe a wrenching drinking day may be in the future
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got the rear spring hangers welded on along with the body mount. Im one bolt short of completely having the front end finished.

So now i need to make some room in the shop and get ready for the big swap a roo.
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heres todays progress. unloaded all the crap that accumulated in the back of the jeep, removed the roll bar, rear axle, and got one side of the rear frame cut off. My sawz all battery died prior to cutting the other side. so for sheits and giggles I rolled the rear end up to see how well I measured the spring hangers.. Bingo.. slid right in.. actually easier then they would go into a stock set of hangers.

the 2 different rims are because the front is a 6 lug 44 and the rear is still the stock WT 20. Speaking of axles... John J-10 axle went to Brian to get regeared and of course some thing has to go wrong. I got the call that the posi unit was shot. After finding the replacement parts for about $100 I remembered about a guy with a Lunch box locker with 325 miles on it and a new case for $80 so for about $110 shipped Im going to go that route with it. Im hoping its in before the weekend so brian can finish it up by next week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.