'84 CJ-7 "restore" project - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '84 CJ-7 "restore" project

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #61
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

ugh... I knew it would be that much but was hoping for a bit less... guess I will have to make the decision eventually... or I can just scuff the paint and rattle can it for now..

smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #62
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Harbor freight has a soda blaster for sodium bi carbonate. Its pretty cheap. It may for what you want.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #63
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post

I didn't get a picture of it, but when I took the vapor canister out, it was fully caked with old mud... how essential is that thing and are there any replacements available? is that one of those parts that I must have?

thanks.

also, I am thinking of sandblasting my tub... about how much are people paying for that?
You talking about the charcoal canister? Mounted to the firewall below the brake MC? They clean up pretty easy, just get as much mud off the bottom as possible. They are needed unless you want the smell of raw fuel all the time. You can't buy a factory replacement, but canisters out of other vehicles work too. Just do a search on charcoal canister replacement.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #64
mscout118
1983 CJ7 

Called a place in Trussville, cant recall the name at the moment (maybe Tfabs) and they quoted me @ $400 for the tub. There is a place in Leeds as well called Recore. Ive used them for small parts in the past.
mscout118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #65
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
You talking about the charcoal canister? Mounted to the firewall below the brake MC? They clean up pretty easy, just get as much mud off the bottom as possible. They are needed unless you want the smell of raw fuel all the time. You can't buy a factory replacement, but canisters out of other vehicles work too. Just do a search on charcoal canister replacement.
yep. that is what I am talking about.. do I need to refill it with charcoal?

I am not sure if that is even needed... need to clean it badly. but, since the body is going to come off soon, that can wait.
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #66
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscout118 View Post
Called a place in Trussville, cant recall the name at the moment (maybe Tfabs) and they quoted me @ $400 for the tub. There is a place in Leeds as well called Recore. Ive used them for small parts in the past.
wow.. $400 is what I freaking talking about! I will do some googling for a name around here.
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #67
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13

yep. that is what I am talking about.. do I need to refill it with charcoal?

I am not sure if that is even needed... need to clean it badly. but, since the body is going to come off soon, that can wait.
No, they are not serviceable, and don't really go bad. Just clean it and it will be fine. It's there for a reason, so I'd leave it.
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #68
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oh ok cool. I will just freshen up the on I have.
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #69
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Although you can buy a new filter mat for the bottom of it. I believe it's WIX that makes one. I got it from RockAuto or PartsGeek.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #70
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

interesting... thanks for the info... fortunately / unfortunately I have to roll my CJ out of the garage for the next couple of days so that we can get new sheetrock in there to fix damage from a frozen water pipe.
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #71
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

while I am not working on my CJ, I have been contemplating a few things.. first and foremost are tube fenders... I am a big fan of poison spyder stuff but I am not the biggest fan of the fact that their fenders are $500ish and aren't complete replacements... I found Metalcloak for almost the same price and they are complete fenders... when I say complete, I mean it has an inner fender and I don't cut up my stock fenders... I am thinking of going that way, since I am not looking to do a full factory fresh restore..

anyone have experience with them?
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #72
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

just an update, I am still waiting for repairs to my garage to be completed.. while I have had time to think (dangerous/expensive).. I have decided that I am going to put a 5.3L LM7 engine with a manual trans behind it... this will make the old jeep quite nice to drive (hopefully)... I am 100% positive I will have to upgrade multiple other things to be able to handle the new power but I can cross those bridges when I come to them.

I figured that since I would be pulling the body off, now would be the best time to do any sort of swap... and, since I have seen 5.3Ls for sale for between $500-800.. it isn't nearly as expensive (so far) as I expected.. on my drive home from work last night I got to thinking (dangerous again)... I could see how this swap goes and start saving for a 5.3L swap into JKUR... hmmm
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #73
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

ok, after doing more research into the engine swap... I have decided to stick with AMC engines.. more specifically, either a 258 or a 360. my biggest question is swapability. I currently have the AMC 4cylinder with a T4 and D300. If I thought that engine would be able to push 33-35' tires then I would keep it.. I just don't think it will..

I think (hope) that a 258 6cylinder will just drop in place of the 4 cylinder, am I correct or am I dreaming? what about an AMC 360? will the v8 destroy to T4?

What about engine mounts for either engine? will the 4cyl engine mount location work with both engines?

I have a line on both engines for (I think) good prices. $300 for the 258 and $450 for the 360. allegedly they are complete engines.

sorry for all these mind changes and questions. I really appreciate yalls help.
Unread 03-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #74
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post

I think (hope) that a 258 6cylinder will just drop in place of the 4 cylinder, am I correct or am I dreaming? what about an AMC 360? will the v8 destroy to T4?

What about engine mounts for either engine? will the 4cyl engine mount location work with both engines?

I have a line on both engines for (I think) good prices. $300 for the 258 and $450 for the 360. allegedly they are complete engines.

sorry for all these mind changes and questions. I really appreciate yalls help.
The 258 is a bolt in with the T4. The 360, not so much. I believe you'll need a different bellhousing, and the motor mounts (right side only I believe) are different. If you look back through my build thread, you'll see where I made my own mounts for my 360. And it will most likely destroy the T4. Those prices still seem high to me...
Unread 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #75
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
The 258 is a bolt in with the T4. The 360, not so much. I believe you'll need a different bellhousing, and the motor mounts (right side only I believe) are different. If you look back through my build thread, you'll see where I made my own mounts for my 360. And it will most likely destroy the T4. Those prices still seem high to me...
well... 258 it is then! I will offer the guy like $200 for the 258 since I would have to drive a couple hours to get it... I just have been unable to find an engine around here (Birmingham)..

thanks a lot for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.