'84 CJ-7 "restore" project - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '84 CJ-7 "restore" project

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 02-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #46
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg6772 View Post
I had to use innertube first,then I found some belting for some sort of conveyer.

BTW, my new skid also did not have a strap to hold tank into it. I had to add the strap above the tank on the jeep so when installed the strap holds the tank in place. It is from jc Whitney.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
yeah I am going to have to buy a new center strap... might have to buy the new side straps but am not sure... they aren't that expensive.. less than $15 a piece.

smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #47
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Be aware, there are other modifications that may be necessary with a body lift. These include:

1. Clutch linkage
2. Gas tank filler hose
3. Fan shroud
4. Steering shaft

Matt
Matt is right with this. The only thing I didn't have to change was my filler hose. I have a 1 1/2" lift (3" cut in half) it fit fine. I didn't have to mod the t/c shifter,but did anyway,otherwise I thought I would have to make the hole larger to accommodate the longer travel.

dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #48
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post

even for a 1" body lift?

I don't want to cut corners or anything like that... just figured if I was going to have to put new body mount bushings in, I may as well get a small amount of lift..
"I" would recommend the lift. It has made working on many other things easier;at least for me.

Unread 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #49
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

cool, thanks for the info. I will just go with the 1" daystar kit when I have my body off and adjust whatever comes up.
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #50
Jeepn-n-tx
I go by "Mike Honcho" ...

1981 CJ7 

Hey brother from another TX mother ...

Going back to your stuck torx bolts ... I had a few that were stuck like that. Tried to weld on nuts to the bolt heads, but guess I wasn't doing it right. I ended up taking a grinder w/ a cutting wheel and VERY carefully I cut a small slice off two sides effectively leaving a small rectangular shape piece over the center of the bolt threads. This gave me something to grab onto with a box wrench of crescent wrench. Worked every time. Just be careful not to buzz straight through the bolt head and into the body when cutting. I replaced everything with hex bolts.

Most everything looks pretty good on your CJ ... now stop taking perfectly good CJs out of TX! ... Move your arse back here instead!

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - I6 258, 2.5" lift, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, heater upgrade, MC 2100, headlight relays, future plans ... HEI, drag link flip, ...
Jeepn-n-tx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #51
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

hmm.. thanks for the info! I bought some quality torx sockets so maybe that might help with the bolts.. plus, I have been spraying them with PB blaster for about two weeks!

haha.. I am trying to convince my wife to make the move back to t-town.. maybe next year.
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #52
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

ok, I am going to (hopefully) start taking the front end off of my CJ this weekend... my question now is, when I unbolt the brake and clutch master cylinders, I would prefer to keep them hooked up to the lines so that I might be able to bleed the systems more thoroughly with the body off... I am most interested in the clutch hydraulic system since I just put a new master cylinder on. I was able to bleed the system but I would like to really be thorough about it...

I am positive that the brake master cylinder is pretty heavy... so I don't want to fubar any of the hardlines... if I need to take off the cylinders then no problem.. would be nice if I didn't have to disconnect them is all.

also, I don't have power brakes..
Unread 02-21-2014, 04:06 AM   #53
dsfd722sts
1980 CJ7 

have you decided what kind of "gasket" your goiung with under the tank and between the skid? I hear neoprene or bike tube rubber especially on the straps. the guy at 4wp told me to get a semi tire tub and make a gasket, but I seem to think there was a plastic liner in the tank skid plate?
dsfd722sts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #54
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have not.. I haven't even bought a new tank.. I am going to look at the one that is on my skid to see if it can be salvaged..
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #55
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

If you need something for between your skid and tank, try some self adhesive rubberized flashing. You can get it at Lowe's in the roofing section in 6 inch wide rolls. Just line the inside of your skid with it, and put some on the tank where the straps will rub, and it should be fine.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #56
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the info!
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #57
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

ok, got some things done on the jeep this weekend.
took the fenders off..

in my efforts to take the fenders off, I only broke 2-3 non-essential bolts..

but I did discover this vacuum reservoir that might not hold a vacuum anymore.

I didn't get a picture of it, but when I took the vapor canister out, it was fully caked with old mud... how essential is that thing and are there any replacements available? is that one of those parts that I must have?

thanks.

also, I am thinking of sandblasting my tub... about how much are people paying for that?
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #58
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Sandblasting it's pretty rough on body steel. It can be done,but you may want to go a little less aggressive like.......media blasting. Walnut shells or some other media that will take the paint off,or possibly chemical stripper. Advanced Auto has a stripper that works well.

Unread 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #59
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

yeah.. I was just using sand blasting as a blanket term... sorry for the confusion.
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #60
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Gotcha, I checked into this for a nova I'm thinking of doing. Around here it's about 1,000 bucks give or take

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.