84 Cj-7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 84 Cj-7

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-07-2002, 08:06 AM   #1
01Sport
2002 WJ 

84 Cj-7

OK, I am a TJ owner and still learning. But I have a friend looking for a CJ. We went last night and looked at a 84 CJ-7 and the guy is asking $5000. My friend offered $3800 and the owner said $4500. I am going to describe it as best as I can, as it was 10:00 p.m. when we were looking at it, and then I would appreciate any advise you might have regarding it.

Here we go (as much as I can remember):
1984 CJ-7 (daily driver)
258 6 Cyl - rebuilt about 1 year ago with 12-15,000 miles on it.
It only has about 87,000 miles on the body. It used to be pulled by an older couple behind their motor home before the current owner acquired it.
4 speed manual
3 in body lift - not the ideal
1.5 in shackle lift
Full roll cage
5 pt harness
33/12.50 Futura A/T's
Decent paint job (repainted about a year or so ago)
Soft top, bikini top, full soft doors, half steel doors
No spare
Push button start. - His little brother broke the key off in the ignition so they changed it out. They are going to put in a kill switch to go with the push button.
4.10 gears in OEM axles (I think an AMC 20 in the rear)
OEM tc ???
Ugly bumper
Frame looks like it doesn't have rust
Tub has some rust in the floor (not much though)
Needs a new carb in the near future
Cheap diamond plate rocker guards from JC Whitney

I think that is all. Any advise would be much appreciated. He needs to know soon. This is his first Jeep and he wants something to fix up and use as an outdoors toy. Something to go camping in and just have fun with. Probably just a little off-roading, nothing extreme for now. I told him to offer the guy $4300, I think he would go for it. The owner just needs cash to but something bigger for work. He is also selling his 1999 Z71.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

K.C.

Sold:
2001 TJ Sport :(
01Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
cjryder

Sounds like it's worth 4000 to me. The last 2 or 3 hundred haggled is how bad do you want it?
A rustfree CJ that's intact (daily driver as you state) can get 3500 and up any day, and this one has a rebuilt engine, 4 speed and low ratios.
cjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 09:18 AM   #3
johny1i

Sounds like I good deal compared to what they fetch around here. Check out the electronics on it--gauges, wipers, lights, turn signals, etc. That little stuff can be aggravating to track down and that could be a buying point for you to get the seller to knock some price off. If it all works, that's great.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 03:55 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Without seeing the Jeep with my own eyes, $3500 sounds like it would be a decent price for a stock Jeep. A modified one in the way that you describe it could fetch just a little bit more, but I wouldn't go as high as the $4500 price that he is asking ..

I know of many CJ's selling for well under $2500cad around here (which is around $1700 usd)
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 08:44 PM   #5
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The guy I bought my 85 from wanted $4500 and I offered $3500 and he took it. I was kind of surprised that he took it, but I guess he needed the money pretty bad.

Like someone else said, i think $3500 is reasonable for a daily driver that is pretty stock.

You would be getting rims, tires, (about $1000 for those depending what you get)

paint job, ($200-$600 depending on how good, more for flames and deluxe)

Axles re-geared, (or at least you won't have to spend $1200 to have that done, $600 if you do it yourself)

But, the way he has it lifted is not desirable. You will probably want to do away with the BL and Shackles and spend another $600-$850 on a suspension lift, if you do it yourself)

So, for the extra $800 you'd be paying over mine, you won't have to payyyyyy, lets seeeeee $1800 to $2800 in extras.
Unread 08-08-2002, 08:22 AM   #6
01Sport
2002 WJ 

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is very helpful. We have been doing some looking around and figure we can find something better for that price. It is a cool Jeep but just not worth the money. Thanks again for your help.
K.C.

Sold:
2001 TJ Sport :(
01Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.