84, Carter POS won't idle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
AeroViper1

84, Carter POS won't idle

My jeep, about a year ago, slowly deteriorated to a non existant idle. I still can't figure out what is wrong. I have done the nutter bypass, ran fine after that, about 90% sure it has nothing to do with the nutter. The idle problem is due to the fact that the choke is stuck wide open. Where do I start?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 06:05 PM
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

put on a manual choke..... I put one on my MC2100 and works great.

86' CJ7 (258 w/ Howell TBI, 33" ProComp MT's)
post #3 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
AeroViper1

what does that involve? what kind of work and money? I'm not a newb to my jeep, but I never considered that idea, I'm going to research that for a bit too. It's a 258 i6.

post #4 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 07:00 PM
tsjeepcj
1981 CJ7 

are you only having a problem when it's cold or are you having problems when it's warmed up also?? i would think that if it is having problems idling after it's warmed up and the choke is wide open then you've got other stuff going on besides the choke.

i'm in charlotte if ur close and want to work on it. let me know.

cya
tim

81 cj7 on 37's...
post #5 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 07:07 PM
cliff

Wink

I am not experienced with your carburetor set up. But I have had some problems in my older jeeps with vacuum leaks. One way to check it is to idle the motor and spray some WD40 around the carburetor base and see if the rpm on your engine changes. If it does, you may have found the problem. Do you have a vacuum hose on your choke that operates the choke? If it is cracked or not fitting tight at the manifold and the carb, it might cause some idle problems.

IMHO I would suggust to keep it stock and fix what you have. You will be out less expense and trouble in the long run.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
AeroViper1

where are you in charlotte? it is 100% of the time, foot off the gas = motor going dead. There is power to the electric choke, and the vac line the pulls the choke open has suction. I am at a complete loss when it comes to carbs.
post #7 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
AeroViper1

cliff -

the choke just sits wide open, If i hold it at an angle to "manually" activate the choke with my hand, it idles great, but nothing is closing the choke

so visually, this is what it should be when running at idle

|\ |
| \ |
| \|

and this is what my choke looks like 100% of the time

| | |
| | |
| | |
post #8 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
AeroViper1

well...that didn't work but you get the point
post #9 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
tsjeepcj
1981 CJ7 

aeroviper,

i'm up in the university area, about 10 mins from uncc. i'm no carb expert, but the way i have my carb set up is like this. i have an electric choke on my 81 and when it's cold, the choke plate is closed, or at least nearly closed...

| \ |

then, as the coil in the choke warms up and allows the vacuum to pull the plate open and the engine warms up, the choke plate (i'm not sure this is the right name for it) opens up....

| | |

I think you've got an air/fuel mixture problem that is causing your idle problems. i'd guess either you've got some vacuum leaks, which may explain why when you close off the plate and allow less air in the engine it runs better, or your air/fuel mixture is just off.

i put a rebuilt carter on mine and it took me a while to set it up where it runs decently, but a lot of that was learning what to do. i made sure there were no vacuum leaks, made sure the float level was right, adjusted the idle mixture screws and made sure the timing was right. also, i did the tfi upgrade, which made it idle and run much better.

again, i'm no expert but if u want me to look at it i can.

cya

81 cj7 on 37's...
post #10 of 32 Old 04-05-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
AeroViper1

I'm up here in the Univ Area too. Due to the shape the motor was in when I got it, the vacume system is almost non existant. The whole thing is just a lump of sh*t, that's why I'm trying to get it fixed up and sell it. Runs GREAT when it idles, but I just have to get it there. Any ideas on what to look for in the way of vac problems? Also, where's a good muffler shop up here, I live just off campus and my exhaust, including muffler and cat are falling apart, inspection is manditory by the end of the month lol. I love college haha.
post #11 of 32 Old 04-06-2005, 06:10 AM
tsjeepcj
1981 CJ7 

cliff mentioned spraying wd40 around the base of the carb to see if there is a change in rpm and that's a good idea to check for leaks. check the vacuum hoses, make sure everything is hooked up and there are no broken hoses or open vacuum ports.

as far as exhaust, i had mine done at a shop called "denny"s off hwy 218, but it's a ways from the university. i really don't know of any other good shops but maybe someone else will know.

tim

81 cj7 on 37's...
post #12 of 32 Old 04-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Geer_hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroViper1
cliff -

the choke just sits wide open, If i hold it at an angle to "manually" activate the choke with my hand, it idles great, but nothing is closing the choke

so visually, this is what it should be when running at idle

|\ |
| \ |
| \|

and this is what my choke looks like 100% of the time

| | |
| | |
| | |
So presumably if you hold your hand over the throat of the carb and have someone else crank the engine, it'll start and idle fine? It sounds like you've already determined your choke is the primary issue. If so, then why not either replace the choke, go manual, or just rebuild the carter altogether if the butterfly blade doesn't open?

Also, if the engine dies after the engine is warm, it is not due to your choke. Checking for vacuum leaks like the others have suggested would be a better place for you to start after you've corrected the choke issue.

85 CJ7 / 258 / T176 / Dana 30/ AMC 20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 32 Old 04-06-2005, 08:10 AM
XJH-007

Could be a million things that the stupid 84 emissions system is doing. Don't put a bandage on it, fix it.

DUMP the 84 BBD carb and atleast pick up an older NON-computer controlled model.

She'll run great!

I've done the Nutter, 82' CJ Carb and juice box/Ford ignition and it runs AWESOME.

230,000 miles strong....my DailyDriver...

All for LESS than $100

Scott-Crawlorado Native
I have an addiction.....
*00' XJ_T-n-T Y-Link/6" RE_OME's_33" KM2's
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
post #14 of 32 Old 04-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Slipslap

Well my choke is manual but I never close it and mine runs fine even on start up when it's cool out. Try adjusting the mix. Might be to lean to idle. Back the screws out a half to 3/4 turn and see what happens.
post #15 of 32 Old 04-06-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
AeroViper1

for those of you like XJ, I'm a college kid, less than $100 or not, buying new parts is not in the cards right now, I'm fixing what I've got.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.