83 stock CJ Carter Carb replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 83 stock CJ Carter Carb replacement

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
abynx

83 stock CJ Carter Carb replacement

Hi, Thankyou to anyone taking time to read this, I just purchased a stock 83 CJ and was wondering what is the best Carb/Air Filter system to replace the carter carb with that huge air filter pan that covers the whole engine? Being from England I honestly have no clue about the carb systems we have over here in north America and would greatly appreciate some help. This is a 258 with the Catalytic converter. I am in BC but the vehicle is from California.
Cheers.

abynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The best running carb for your Jeep is the stock Carter BBD. You can put a kit into them and they just purr. This kit runs about $20.00 at Canadian Tire or Napa and is 'supposed' to go in every time the engine needs plugs or every major tune up.

Fully loaded for camping I am getting 11L/100 km (21-22 mpg) highway if I keep her under 65 mph.

Even folks that 'know' carb have serious tuning issues on 258's trying to match up jets, chokes, etc. with carbs made for other engines.

You will need the air filter and it's hoses or you will have icing up issues with the carb. That air filter sucks hot air from the manifold when it is cold outside. They seem to start icing up just below freezing in high humidity like you have out there. Aftermarket air filters do not have this nor will they pass emissions.

You really wouldn't want to be going through the Frasier Valley or be coming down from Whistler and have the carb freeze solid at 65 mph... Really really no fun. Happened to me on a trip across the Yellowhead highway.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
abynx

Thanks Mike, really appreciate it.

Whats is this kit I should ask for? I should really take it all apart as it just gases out my townhome after I park it. We have a Napa and a Fortins (Fortins mostly seen to know what they're doing) I am going to phone Aircare tomorrow and try and figure out whether or not that the 83cj was required to have the cat in bc to pass. Would be really nice to lose the spaghetti around the engine and stick on a better looking cleaner. Regarding the weather - it isn't really an issue as we're using a Kia and a 90 cherokee. The CJ is pretty much giong to be a summer fun thing for going to work the odd time and piddling around the Fraser Valley logging roads like Vedder, Cheam and Sumas.
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
TUPPERCJ7
1986 CJ7 

Mike,

On your Jeep, along with the rebuilt BBD, did you do any ignition upgrades?

Thanks,
Brian
TUPPERCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

It is just a 'kit' for a Carter BBD carb. It is very easy to put in.

Do they not have an age limit in BC for emissions? The Canadian CJ7 was a 'utility' vehicle and as such didn't require a cat as far as I know. They also don't have a visual inspection, just a functional one. You need to find out what's what.

If you don't have the serious visual, the engine can be made to run sweet 'and' still pass tailpipe emissions by killing the emissions computer. It is called the 'Nutter' bypass which basically puts the engine into pre- 1980 tune. It also gets rid of 90% of those vacuum lines.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 04-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
abynx

Sweet! Hey I just checked out your ride.. Looks really nice! Thanks for the info!
Unread 04-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPPERCJ7 View Post
Mike,

On your Jeep, along with the rebuilt BBD, did you do any ignition upgrades?

Thanks,
Brian
I haven't needed any really. When I needed a new coil, I just bough a 'better' one and went with an Accel SuperCoil. I run Champion plugs slightly overgapped.

I have a dynomax superturbo muffler on and 2" pipes. It has a nice lifetime warranty, I am on my second.

My carb gets cleaned and/or kitted every emissions usually. I seldom can get away with 4 years (two emissions periods) on a float needle seat. The modern 'gas' does bad things to them. I am at 4 year right now and it will get kitted this rebuild. It's got a new frame going in.

I have tried fancy 'high performance' junk Like an Accel distributor cap and wires that didn't last a year and simply went back to OEM from the Dealership for wires. They give the best performance and life. 8 years on this set and still no issues.

I like the power and mileage I get running stock. The 11L/100km or 21+ mpg on the highway running at 2300 rpm in 4th is sweet and when I get on the skinny pedal my fiberglass Jeep goes like a scalded cat. It will top 4400 rpm in 2nd at a bit over 50 mph, 3rd hauls nice up to 75 mph and 4th buries the speedo. I 'really' have 'no' urge to find out how fast 5th will go... 1st will climb sand pit walls at 400 rpm without a chug. It has never stalled on a climb, get too steep and it just churns the tires.

I have 3.31 gears and 33's so don't use 5th. It drops my mileage down because the engine lugs at 65 in 5th and 1725 rpm.

I seem to get the best mileage driving at 2200-2300 rpm, no matter the gear.
Unread 04-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
tjhawk
1985 CJ7 

I have a Weber carb and it works better than that POS stock carb ever could. I got a kit off of E-bay. It came with carb, K&N air cleaner and all mounting hardware. This carb woke the engine up big time. It even gets better milage because it uses the idle circuit at cruise throttle.(Check the Weber Carb page, I didn't beleive it at first either) My only complaint is that you will need to get a fuel pressure reg and bump the press down to 4 psi. Also if you do alot of hills and rock climbing you will need to drop the fuel level in the float bowl to keep it from sloshing into the venturi.
tjhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
lopezzi
1983 CJ7 

I also have a Weber carb (34/34) on my 83 CJ from Cali, and it runs like a dream. When I first bought my Jeep, the computer was completely shot, so I just decided to get an aftermarket carb instead of trying to find a working computer. However, the Weber would not pass Cali emissions no matter what, so I was forced to swap back to the stock carb to pass emissions, then put the Weber back on to make it run. Kinda a hassle. I don't know what the emissions tests are like in Canada, but if there are anything like Cali, you might have trouble passing emissions with a Weber.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.