Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

83 CJ7 wants to stall only on right turns!

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  CrashOdle 
#1 ·
Anybody else have this problem, Jeep runs and idles perfect, but when making right turns at low RPM it sputters like its starving for fuel and wants to stall. As soon as it straightens out its fine. No problem on left turns. Tank is full, cleaned the idle jets.

#11 ·
I agree with this one.. check float level in a right turn if the fuel level in the bowl is to low it well cause the jets to go dry when the fuel sloshes to one side. Gas tank and fuel lines moving when turning well NOT cause this effect.
When I raced round-d-round we had to adjust are floats to not cause dry jets in the turns.
good luck
tim

#9 ·
Is it an automatic?

Mine had a very similar problem not long ago. Coincidence was that I happened to be turning right, but that really had nothing to do with it. The torque converter was not disengaging properly when coming to a stop or slowing down. It was essentially like popping out the clutch when in a gear that was too high.

I may have to change out the converter, but we added some BG trans conditioner, and it seemed to have flushed it out for now. I can't say how long it will last, but hopefully it won't be a problem for a while.

BW

#10 ·
This just occurred to me when I remembered an issue I had on my fuel tank. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I state something in err, but something to consider....

Our tanks have two vent lines on the drivers side. When I had my fuel tank out, a steel 15 gallon jobber, the vent tube that runs along the top (inside) the tank had come dislodged. So basically, I ended up with two vents on the left (drivers side) and no venting on the right. Both of those vents run up to a roll over valve and a anti siphon valve up under your drivers rear corner, and then to your canister. Sooooo, if you make a right hand turn, the gas sloshes over to the left and clogs both vents, instead of letting the vent intended for the right hand side to properly vent. I could see that causing a rich condition at the least, maybe a vapor lock if it doesnt vent properly. Worth checking it out.

I couldn't get the cross over vent tube back on, so I welded a nipple on the right hand side for venting. I want was careful to make sure the tank didn't have more then a quarter tank of fuel when doing so ;-).

#13 ·
No luck so far, cleaned carb, checked float level, new fuel filter, still stalling on right turn only. Tried putting in neutral thru the turn and stalled, tried powering thru it, stutters real bad and stalls if I don't straighten it out fast. Gonna try running out of a gas can next. This sucks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.