'83 CJ7 rebuild questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '83 CJ7 rebuild questions

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
KMA
1983 CJ7 

'83 CJ7 rebuild questions

Hello.

This is my first post on this forum. I picked up a 1983 CJ7 over the weekend for my 15 year old son and I to fix up. I believe it is in pretty good shape, with some body rust but the frame is very solid. The windshield frame is rusted badly, but it included a new one that needs to be painted and installed. It came with 33's in pretty good condition and Clifford/Redline rebuilt fuel injected engine. First I'll describe what we plan on doing to the Jeep, then follow up with some questions I'm hoping some of you can help answer.

We are planning to do the following over the next 6 months to a year:

- Pull out the carpets and fix any rusted panels
- Rhino coat (or similar) the inside (no longer use carpeting)
- Replace the windshield frame and seal
- Fix rust spots on the body
- Undercoat the frame and body
- Replace the shocks (thinking of going with Skyjacker Hydros for softer ride on a budget?)
- Fix crack in hardtop and rusted liftgate
- Replace door/window/hardtop seals
- Fix extremely soft brakes (think it might be the master cylinder)
- Replace brake and fuel lines
- Replace fuel sending unit (and tank?) so fuel gauge works
- Fix horn (previous owner had a workaround horn button under dash)
- Replace radiator and re-install overflow container
- Tune Redline FI so it starts better when cold
- Fix transmission "popping out" of first gear
- Possibly replace seats and add upgraded belts or harnesses
- Replace fluids/filters/etc
- Fix door locks
- Update radio/speakers
- Add locking interior storage

That's the starting list at least. Our budget isn't very large. This is going to be driven mostly on the road, with some light off-road use.

My first questions are if anyone can identify this transmission, and tell me if you should be able to see inside the housing when installed. Here is a picture I took underneath using my phone:

Thanks in advance for the help.

KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I can't tell what transmission it is but it looks like it's just missing the inspection cover on the belhousing. Doesn't affect the transmission's functionality but something you should try and fix before driving it too much. Enjoy your build!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Dust cover is miss'n is all. No big deal. You can make one yourownself.
Is the tranny a 4 or 5 speed?
4 speed(OEM)is either a T-176(GOOD 'box') or a T-4(NOT so good).
5 speed is a T-5(same as T4).
Order ASAP, a copy of the OEM, Factory Service Manual(FSM). You will NEED it!
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
KMA
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the fast responses!

I believe it is the T-5 5 speed transmission. Do you guys think this is the right cover? Click on photo to go to the product page. Free shipping if I order today. I found it cheaper, but shipping was extra. Best price is around $25. Thanks.

Unread 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Yep thats it.
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

If it's a T5, do NOT use std gear oil or ATF in it!
Use only syn 75W-80.
LG
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Nice rig. Take you're time rebuilding and do it right the first time. Enjoy your new toy, and empty your wallet.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
KMA
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
Yep thats it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
If it's a T5, do NOT use std gear oil or ATF in it!
Use only syn 75W-80.
LG
Thanks guys!

I also noticed a lot of oil on the engine, hoses, harnesses, etc but it doesn't seem to be leaking on the ground. Should I just clean it best I can and see if it reappears? Not sure where it came from, or if it is left over from a previous fix. The valve cover does appear to use that make-a-seal type stuff instead of an ordinary gasket. Maybe it was leaking there and was patched up... dunno.

Speaking of the valve cover; it says 4.0 on it and I thought that year had a 4.2l motor. The guy I bought it from said it was a rebuilt Clifford Performance engine with about 15k miles on it, but I think he got it from someone with the work already done so I don't have any more details.

I don't have the OEM manuals, but I do have the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereussailor View Post
Nice rig. Take you're time rebuilding and do it right the first time. Enjoy your new toy, and empty your wallet.
Thanks. We're going to try! Although I don't want to empty my wallet... at least not right away.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

It's probably had the 4.0 head swap when they did the FI. As for the manuals, Those are both good. I also have a Haynes manual and Here's a link to the FSM http://www.civilianjeep.info/84-86FSM/CJ-FSM-84to86.pdf It's a pretty big file, but well worth it.

Last edited by Nereussailor; 06-17-2013 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: add link
Nereussailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
KMA
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the link!
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Look for a copy of the AMC factory MR-252 manual.
LG
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
KMA
1983 CJ7 

Thanks LG. Nereussailor's link above is to the 84-86 M.R.252 FSM, which I downloaded last night. I have an '83, but I think it should be close, no?
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

That's it......
LG
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
KMA
1983 CJ7 

Do you guys think this power brake upgrade would work well on my CJ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321149808117...84.m1438.l2649

It has drums in the rear, and doesn't have the power booster now. The brakes barely work and the previous owner said he believed it was the master cylinder. I figured I could replace it with new, and might as well try to get better stopping power while I'm at it. It says it can be used with drum or disc rears in case I ever decided to upgrade the rear calipers. I've been reading other threads about brake various upgrade approaches, but I'd rather buy a new kit that drops in if possible, without spending way too much. Thanks.

Last edited by KMA; 06-25-2013 at 07:42 AM..
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
MountainHound

1979 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum and Good looking Jeep!
Not sure what size tires those are 33'' or 35's', Update your profile and it would help members better help with your ?s. I bought a kit with a corvette style MC and it didn't work well with my disc/drums. I went with a OEM brake booster and a new MC. It stops my 33'' tires very well. I think it would be the most 'drop in' out of the many upgrade options.

-Prop Valve
-Bracket
-New MC
-New OEM Booster --got mine from JC Whitney but I had the old core to return. Suggest getting this new/reman not from a junkyard.

There are a number of write-ups on this forum from manual to power brakes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.