83 CJ7 Build(in progress) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 83 CJ7 Build(in progress)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Infiniti89
1983 CJ7 

83 CJ7 Build(in progress)

Hey guys and gals, I recently acquired a 1983 Jeep CJ7 with some modifications already done to it. My father and I are working together to restore the body and turn this into a trail beast. Hope you enjoy the pics of what has been done so far and future pics that I will upload to keep everyone up to date on what we are doing to the jeep. Also if you have any input or ideas on what I should do to this thing, please feel free to let me know!!!

As for what has been done so far/my future goals as of right now are as follows:
So Far
-new blower motor
-I believe it has 72 Ford F-350 front and rear 3/4 ton axles
-6" custom suspension lift
-16.5 aluminum wheels
-37" x 12.5" Tires
-5.7L V8 350ci LS1 motor

Future
-TH350 rebuilt to racing specs
-Tub replacement parts(passenger inner wheel well, both rear corner panels, rear valence, windshield frame, and tailgate.)
-Body and Frame all Rhino Lined inside and out(I work at a Rhino Lining Shop)
-New dash panel
-CB radio
-new front and rear seats(Black Vinyl)
-Halogen Headlights
-replacing shock absorbers
-all new brake lines and master cylinder/brake booster
-drum rebuild kit for rear end
-all new fluids
-replace cap and rotor/spark plugs/wires
-Halogen headlights
-new diff gaskets
More to come.
Will probably add in a kenwood CD deck, speakers and some Red accenting LED's on the interior and a dome light.

Leave me some Feedback!!!

Infiniti89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Bugs713
1983 CJ7 

Awesome AND an LS1!
Bugs713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
copauls863
1982 CJ7 

I wanna see the motor ?
copauls863 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
new-jeeper
1983 CJ7 

im no expert but judging by the intake in the first pic that's not an ls1. Also ford front diffs were drivers drop, so its probably a chev dana 44 front diff by the looks of it

otherwise it looks like a good project. I love the color
new-jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-jeeper View Post
im no expert but judging by the intake in the first pic that's not an ls1.
Yep, looks like 5.7 TPI engine
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Infiniti89
1983 CJ7 

Well found the block number today and it jnfortunately is NOT and LS1 motor it is a 80-85 gm 305 motor. As for the axles i was told they were 1ton axles dana 40 fronts and dana 60 reads which i now believe is untrue. Reason we suspected they were from a 72 for f350 is because the diff cover gaskets matched up with the ones we pulled off. Anyway to figure out for sure what they are? Thankyou everyone for the info and enthusiasm. Also the jeep will be fully black after the rhino lining as its the only color we deal with out of the shop i work for
Unread 12-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti89 View Post
Well found the block number today and it jnfortunately is NOT and LS1 motor it is a 80-85 gm 305 motor. As for the axles i was told they were 1ton axles dana 40 fronts and dana 60 reads which i now believe is untrue. Reason we suspected they were from a 72 for f350 is because the diff cover gaskets matched up with the ones we pulled off. Anyway to figure out for sure what they are? Thankyou everyone for the info and enthusiasm. Also the jeep will be fully black after the rhino lining as its the only color we deal with out of the shop i work for
yep. old 305 tpi. not too bad but grossly underpowered for a v8. i think they came in camaros. be careful if you ever pull the intake tubes, they are papr thin and dent easily! post pics of the covers and axle numbers. dana 44s arent a one ton axle, they did come in 3/4 tons though. and if the rear is a dana 60,then score! post up some more detailed pics of the drivetrain.
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

oh and also id sell that bm proshifter and get just a megashifter. youll be happier with it. i had a proshifter on my s10 drag truck and its good for the stripp but thats about it. the reverse lockout makes it a pain to shift into reverse and park (have to use 2 hands)
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Infiniti89
1983 CJ7 

okay, so i took some more pics today of the axles and engine. Will post them.

Front Axle

Rear Axle

Judging from what i am reading online and seeing on my axles/gears, I would say the front is a Dana 44 and the rear is a Dana 60? correct me if i am wrong and appreciate any input and knowledge anyone is willing to provide! thanks people.
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

Good score on the Dana 60. The d44 isn't bad either. Should be a good combo. I can't see too well but does anybody think that rear looks welded?
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Infiniti89
1983 CJ7 

yeah the rear is welded posi.

Tags
cj7 , jeep , lifted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.