83 cj 258 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 08-20-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

83 cj 258

Hi everyone. I am starting to plan my winter Jeep Project(s) and I was hoping for some advice/counsel/whatever on two separate projects.

1. There is a squeak which seems to be coming right from my water pump. It is not the belt. I have tried every type of tightness on the alternator belt know to man-kind and it only gets worse the more I tighten it. Furthermore, when I loosen it enough to not squeak, the belts start squawking when I turn the lights on or especially when I turn the trail lights on.

So question is; should I just go for a new water pump first or maybe go serpentine with whole backwards pump or something else?

2. I have put on a HO head off from a 90's Grand Cherokee and I have a nice Clifford intake manifold with a 4 barrel Holley. I also have the obligatory HEI spark. It runs pretty well but it is very cold-blooded and I would really like to fuel inject it over the winter. Is a simple Howell TBI a good enough upgrade for the money or do you really have to get a port injection system to do the job right?

BTW - I realize I could upgrade to a small block chevy but I don't want to.

Thanks,

Jeff from Michigan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-21-2017, 01:03 AM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

There are two types of belt noise, “Chirp” and “Squeal”. Use a water squirt bottle and spray the belt while engine running. If it gets louder, a squeal but if goes away, it’s a chirp.

Chirps are caused mostly by pulley misalignment and improper installation but also by belt condition - worn or contaminated or worn pulley bearings - wobble/excessive free-play side to side.

Solution is to check the alignment of all pulleys with a straight edge and make sure all pulleys are on tight. Replace any pulleys and items such as the water pump and power steering bearings that have rough/seized bearings or excessively wobble. Replace the belt, it will ave been worn by this chirping.

A “Squeal” is a high pitched noise, typically lasting several seconds in duration and increases in volume as the engine speed increases, caused by relative slip between the belt and pulleys. This is usually low belt tension but can also be contamination and even glazing of the pulley surface.

Once they start to slip, I suggest replacing the belt and sanding with a rough grit the pulley surfaces.

As you will be aware the belt sides are in contact with the pulley, not the bottom flat edge. I have seen well used belts that are actually running on the bottom and have less grip and squeal.

The water pump may not be at fault, but you can find out. It is a cheap part in any case. Going serpentine will take some time and effort to find all the pulleys and idlers and is not much better.

As to FI, a lot of users report favourably on Howell. It is outdated technology as a TBI but it works and is low cost. you could put on multipoint injection using the GC manifold but there will be more work.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Tags
belt , fuel injection , serpentine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.