82 CJ7 return fuel line missing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ7 return fuel line missing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 07-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

82 CJ7 return fuel line missing

I have an 82 CJ 7 with a carter BBD and the 4.2. I dont have a return fuel line on it. Should i have one and what are the consequences of not running one. I am on my phone and the search wont work.

Chris

Unread 07-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
joseyw
1977 CJ7 

The return line provides a constant flow of fuel in the lines to help keep fuel cooler and fight against vapor lock.
joseyw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyw View Post
The return line provides a constant flow of fuel in the lines to help keep fuel cooler and fight against vapor lock.
It also regulates the fuel pressure.

With my return line plugged, my mechanical pump puts 7-8 psi of fuel to the carb, which is too much. With the return connected, the carb sees around 4 psi.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2015, 01:02 AM   #4
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

It will run a lot better with the return line.

The 3 way filter not only regulates pressure and relieves vapours and air but it keeps a few ounces of fuel just before the carb, making starting easier. I hav eyet to buy a CJ where the return line is hooked up, 3 way filters are a rarity in redneck Java, but it is the first thing I install.

Are you sure it is missing? If you get under there you should have three fuel lines from the back, one slightly larger is the supply line, the two smaller are the return line and the vapour release line, which goes to the canister in the engine bay.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
It will run a lot better with the return line.

The 3 way filter not only regulates pressure and relieves vapours and air but it keeps a few ounces of fuel just before the carb, making starting easier. I hav eyet to buy a CJ where the return line is hooked up, 3 way filters are a rarity in redneck Java, but it is the first thing I install.

Are you sure it is missing? If you get under there you should have three fuel lines from the back, one slightly larger is the supply line, the two smaller are the return line and the vapour release line, which goes to the canister in the engine bay.
I found three lines from the tank. Supply, then 2 others. One runs to the charcoal canister and one runs to the intake manifold. Thinking the latter is the return.
20150715_073604.jpg  
Unread 07-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Tigerjeep79
1979 CJ7 

Intake manifold is a weird place for a fuel hose. At least it's all there, so it will be a simple thing to correct.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 12:12 AM   #7
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79 View Post
Intake manifold is a weird place for a fuel hose. At least it's all there, so it will be a simple thing to correct.
I agreee...a bit weird. Who knows what a PO has done or why. Kind of like tossing the chicken bones to see what comes up. Anyway, installed the correct fuel filter with return. Then had to raise the float level and adjust the jetting to get it running good again. Runs great ow, just a little fi e tuning on the rich side now and it will be as perfect as a jeep can be.

Thanks all for your advice.

Chris
Unread 07-16-2015, 03:08 AM   #8
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

some say if you do not run the fuel filter with two outlets then you need to run a fuel pressure regulator between the fuel pump and carb to cut fuel pressure back down to around 3+ lbs.

I am not sure on this as my old 1984 junkie jeep still had the (one in, two out fuel filter) on it when I got it years ago.

also word to the wise: just check it out by others smarter than me:

if you install a two out fuel filter on the jeep, you must install the outside out, outlet at 12:00 high and the fuel filter needs to be around the same height or little higher than the carb.

otherwise, fuel will syphoned out of the carb, back to the tank and motor will be hard to start after a long rest period. fuel pump will have to fill carb up with fuel again before it will start????????????
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 04:12 AM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Something like that wellmax.

The stock fuel filters, with two outlets, definitely meter the fuel going into the carb. For a more reliable cold startup, the tubing after the filter-to-carb should have a loop that holds fuel. Its one of those things I've noticed when switching carbs around from the stock Carter BBD to a Weber. The Carter starts very easy cold while the Weber takes a bit longer. Carter has the line with the loop and the Weber is just a hose.

Carter BBD

Weber 32/36

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Something like that wellmax.

The stock fuel filters, with two outlets, definitely meter the fuel going into the carb. For a more reliable cold startup, the tubing after the filter-to-carb should have a loop that holds fuel. Its one of those things I've noticed when switching carbs around from the stock Carter BBD to a Weber. The Carter starts very easy cold while the Weber takes a bit longer. Carter has the line with the loop and the Weber is just a hose.

Carter BBD

Weber 32/36
Thanks. Think i agree with the need for a fuel regulator, speaking from experience. When i cracked the line there was a lot of pressure in it. I will orientate my filter to the 12 o'clock position.

Thanks for all the input on this. I am sure i will have a lot more questions the deeper i dig.

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.