82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!" - Page 8 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 155 Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Dang... sorry, Dude. What kind of show was it?
A festival/craft show in McDonough. It is how we make ends meet with me in school full time again. Also why everything on the jeep is jy or scrounged.

I am at FSU today trying to take care of my admissions for this fall. I finished my AS degree so now we have to figure out how to pay the big money. Because I worked before and because life got in the way the govt decided I don't get my GI Bill or College Fund. They will give me loans though.


"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 155 Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
I have found everything I need for the power steering upgrade except for a power steering pitman arm and the bell coupler from the steering shaft to the steering box. I guess I will have to order new ones. Let's hope the show in White Springs goes well and the wife let's me buy them.

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #108 of 155 Old 05-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,478
I have you covered with the pitman arm and the speedo. Looking forward to seeing you in White Springs this weekend. I wonder if you'll have time to come by and see all my stuff?? Hopin...

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #109 of 155 Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I have you covered with the pitman arm and the speedo. Looking forward to seeing you in White Springs this weekend. I wonder if you'll have time to come by and see all my stuff?? Hopin...
We will make time .... my wife ALWAYS does as she is told

I'm sure it will be fine. I don't think it will be a long day there. It is kind of informal but it sounds fun.

I am looking forward to it!

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #110 of 155 Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
So, I followed JeepHammers instructions for distributor install. I just needed a gasket to stop the oil leak from the PO not putting a gasket. To be safe I went through the entire process like it was a new distributor. TDC and my current settings were close, the difference is probably just the 9 degree BTDC for my timing.

After I fastened everything down and double checked I got ready to test fire and reset timing.

It cranked fine, almost caught, then the starter started dragging????? I thought I screwed up something somehow, I can do that.
When I went over to look the solenoid had a little wisp of smoke and the starter lug was melting out of it????

I disconnected the battery and am heading to get a new solenoid. Is this just coincidence? Or something I did?

Help!
Attached Thumbnails
image-2662407392.jpg  

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #111 of 155 Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
You were right about the coincidence on the phone Skerr. Gotta love a small town, I drove 15 minutes to town and had to wait over an hour for them to get one from another store. At least I got it today. Came back to clean all the connections and look what I found when I pulled the starter cable off. Good reason to disconnect your battery when you have an obvious current overdraw. I must have pushed the rubbed part tight when I was cleaning up the oil leak.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1041814932.jpg  

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #112 of 155 Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr
You were right about the coincidence on the phone Skerr. Gotta love a small town, I drove 15 minutes to town and had to wait over an hour for them to get one from another store. At least I got it today. Came back to clean all the connections and look what I found when I pulled the starter cable off. Good reason to disconnect your battery when you have an obvious current overdraw. I must have pushed the rubbed part tight when I was cleaning up the oil leak.
And after all of that I was so eager to test drive it that I left my IPad and phone on the cowl. Thank goodness something wasn't right because I turned around in 1/4 mile and came back. Looked for my phone and realized whatI just did. iPad and phone located and both just scuffed a bit. Griffin case for the IPad just paid for itself there. Flew off at at least 25 mph and no damage.

Bad news is engine is running fine but still leaks oil. Now that I really cleaned it up its obvious it is coming up thru the distributor and leaking??????

Now what? New Distributor? Is there an o-ring worn out? Any ideas?

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #113 of 155 Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
And after all of that I was so eager to test drive it that I left my IPad and phone on the cowl. Thank goodness something wasn't right because I turned around in 1/4 mile and came back. Looked for my phone and realized whatI just did. iPad and phone located and both just scuffed a bit. Griffin case for the IPad just paid for itself there. Flew off at at least 25 mph and no damage.

Bad news is engine is running fine but still leaks oil. Now that I really cleaned it up its obvious it is coming up thru the distributor and leaking??????

Now what? New Distributor? Is there an o-ring worn out? Any ideas?
Wow! You almost plunged yourself back into the Dark Ages in one fell swoop! Way to go, Moe! Glad your stuff was not damaged.

Are you SURE you installed the metal washer between the dizzy and the block?? Take it back out. Clean the mating surfaces. Put it back together. I have no other knowledge of possible leak spots???

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #114 of 155 Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Wow! You almost plunged yourself back into the Dark Ages in one fell swoop! Way to go, Moe! Glad your stuff was not damaged.

Are you SURE you installed the metal washer between the dizzy and the block?? Take it back out. Clean the mating surfaces. Put it back together. I have no other knowledge of possible leak spots???
My dizzy does not have a metal washer. I cleaned both sides well. I put the felt washer back that they had left off. It did not leak from here before. I wonder if this isn't why they had the vac advance plugged?

I did go back and look at PCV, put a new one in, still on new canister. I had the canister going to manifold vac for some reason so I changed that to ported like it recommends. I even vented PCV to atmosphere. It still leaks up through the dizzy, not from the base. The leak comes from the plate under the rotor cup. Higher the rpm the more leak you get.

Don't know what to do now. More research I guess.

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #115 of 155 Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
Well, good and bad news. No more oil leak! All it took was a new distributor! Somehow oil was leaking up thru the old one. Bad news, it isn't running as good as it was before now

I also got some courtesy lights rigged inside. 2 sets of strip LEDs on each side. Lights up pretty nice. May rig something on the roll bar, just a different color. Those were on clearance for $5 each so I couldn't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2456199805.jpg   image-4281958826.jpg  

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #116 of 155 Old 05-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,478
I really enjoyed your company today, Paul. Thanks for spending so much time with us.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG0010_1.JPG   CIMG0011_1.JPG  

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #117 of 155 Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
I really enjoyed your company today, Paul. Thanks for spending so much time with us.
It was our pleasure! We had a great time and really enjoyed it. You have a great family and y'all have done a great job with the boys! I am glad it worked out where we could hang out a while. I hope the boys haven't burned down anything with the fire starters yet!!!

I got the mower set up but ran out of daylight so I started working on the jeep again. It seems like an avalanche of issues sometimes

I got brake, park and hazard lights all working finally. I had to take out the trailer harness hack from the POs and trace everything out. Swapped the hazard flasher for the turn signal, hazard would still work but still no turn signal. So it's not fuse or flasher. Hand signals will have to work for now

Reset timing on motor and took it for a ride to make sure the dizzy oil leak was finished. It was, but I almost feel like I am on hidden camera!!! For no reason the 2 bolts at the front of the oil pan were loose, I could turn one by hand, and that was now leaking like crazy. I tightened them down and let it Idle and revved it some and it seems to have stopped 99.99% of it. What the heck already!

Jeep will run 68-70 but not liking a heavy foot. Have to let it build rpms or it bogs if you get to heavy footed.

The adventures continue.

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #118 of 155 Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,478
Have you got a little 12V test light? It is a very handy tool to have when testing these CJ circuits. Pull the bulbs out of the sockets and test for current there first. If not, trace the ground wire and clean/reattach. Most of the time there are grounding issues with the electrical. Most of the time it is a bad connection. Although the factory flasher should work alright, there is a digital one available, about $15, that I have more confidence in. It's heavy duty (towing type) and clear, smoky plastic. Get a couple of them and plug them in. Save your old good one in your parts drawer.

I meant to say also that your bogging engine still sounds like a combo of tuning the carb and getting your timing just right. Double check, triple check, quadruple check for intake leaks. Retighten your manifold bolts. I promise they have loosened up some!

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #119 of 155 Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Have you got a little 12V test light? It is a very handy tool to have when testing these CJ circuits. Pull the bulbs out of the sockets and test for current there first. If not, trace the ground wire and clean/reattach. Most of the time there are grounding issues with the electrical. Most of the time it is a bad connection. Although the factory flasher should work alright, there is a digital one available, about $15, that I have more confidence in. It's heavy duty (towing type) and clear, smoky plastic. Get a couple of them and plug them in. Save your old good one in your parts drawer.

I meant to say also that your bogging engine still sounds like a combo of tuning the carb and getting your timing just right. Double check, triple check, quadruple check for intake leaks. Retighten your manifold bolts. I promise they have loosened up some!
I do and a nice multimeter. The flashers are interchangeable according to the numbers on mine. The hazards worked with the one flasher so I switched the flasher and they still worked. I will get back to the turn signals one of these days.

I have been working at the front garage and in the dirt because I wasn't done with the new workshop, tired of rolling in the dirt though. I went ahead and lugged most of my tools and parts back to the workshop and moved the jeep back there. I get to work on concrete now, just have to get power from my generator while I'm working.

I am going to reinstall the distributor tomorrow. I am having to turn it much further clockwise to get it to 8-9 BTDC. Makes me think it's not dead on the gear set. I think some how I am like one tooth off? I am going to try to gently lift it and "feel" one tooth over? We will see I guess.

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline  
post #120 of 155 Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,478
Good luck on the tooth. I was once there, too. Because of the helical cut, the rotor will advance if you don't get it just right. Glad you are out of the dirt! I am cooked red!!

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
Reply

Tags
carter carb , cj7 , msd , nutter bypass , team rush

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome