82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!" - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #76
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
You welded it? Or clay . Its better off with a bolt from me, trust me.
ahem... I did it. I was welding before that little squirt was even thought about!

Bring it over...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #77
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

ahem... I did it. I was welding before that little squirt was even thought about!

Bring it over...
What did you plug the holes for the connecting tube with? I can't find a plug that size so I am thinking about cutting the pipe, flattening it, folding it and then welding it. If that makes sense.

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but I'm pretty sure a country boy was the father.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"

Project 2 "Rustegade"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #78
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You have the intake and exhaust that bolt together?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #79
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
You have the intake and exhaust that bolt together?
Yep I do, and that pipe that connects them is cracked. They are about $30 or better at the dealer from what I have seen. Don't wanna pay that. It's not a normal plug I can find at ace or box auto place so far.

Sorry it took so long to answer ... studying for finals.

I really, really wish I could punch The Laws of Thermochemistry square in the face right now.

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but I'm pretty sure a country boy was the father.

Project 2 "Rustegade"
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #80
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
Yep I do, and that pipe that connects them is cracked. They are about $30 or better at the dealer from what I have seen. Don't wanna pay that. It's not a normal plug I can find at ace or box auto place so far.

Sorry it took so long to answer ... studying for finals.

I really, really wish I could punch The Laws of Thermochemistry square in the face right now.
Thermochemistry?? Guess I'm gonna have to respect you a little more!

Just a little FFT... I had the same setup on Clay's engine. I had problems with it from the get-go. After it was all wire-wheeled, cleaned, painted... after it was all bolted up and torqued down... after we fired it up and tuned the engine, it started leaking, bad! It had a crack in it! I don't know if this is realisitc for you right now, but I would find a later model intake and exhaust. They are independent of each other, no attachment. Nicer application and piece of mind.

Somewhere, early in Clay's thread, I address the exhaust manifold. Starts on page one...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #81
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:

Thermochemistry?? Guess I'm gonna have to respect you a little more!

Just a little FFT... I had the same setup on Clay's engine. I had problems with it from the get-go. After it was all wire-wheeled, cleaned, painted... after it was all bolted up and torqued down... after we fired it up and tuned the engine, it started leaking, bad! It had a crack in it! I don't know if this is realisitc for you right now, but I would find a later model intake and exhaust. They are independent of each other, no attachment. Nicer application and piece of mind.

Somewhere, early in Clay's thread, I address the exhaust manifold. Starts on page one...
With mine cracked I gave it some thought. With the EGR cut off and welded up the exhaust gas would have straight shot to the intake manifold. I cut the pipes off flush and had a new jeep bud weld them into plugs for me. Problem solved.

Project 2 "Rustegade"
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #82
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Found some wheels thru a FB site. Turns out he was a JF member too. Having a bit of a time cleaning em up. Not just dirt evidently. Spot oxidation and crud on inside of wheels suggests it was brake fluid or something similar.
fb_img_13676984175489130.jpg  

Project 2 "Rustegade"
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #83
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Well, I tried every cleaner and polish there was and even bought the Mothers. No luck. I have now gotten bold and decided to go the steel wool and sand paper route. What the heck..... it'll buff out right?

Project 2 "Rustegade"
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #84
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr
Well, I tried every cleaner and polish there was and even bought the Mothers. No luck. I have now gotten bold and decided to go the steel wool and sand paper route. What the heck..... it'll buff out right?
Did you try Nevr-Dull? I've found it to work well. I've resorted to steel wool occasionally with no probs.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #85
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingCJ View Post

Did you try Nevr-Dull? I've found it to work well. I've resorted to steel wool occasionally with no probs.
Neverdull was first. Its my usual go to. The etching from the mystery fluid is too much for just a polish. I wet sanded one with 800 grit then test polished it with a drill. I think it is gonna work. Just a tad scary seeing those lines and swirls. Gonna go try to get access to a big compressor and die grinder for the buffing to help speed it up

Project 2 "Rustegade"
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #86
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Here is a wheel cleaned but you can see the fluid etching. A pic after some 800 grit wet sanding to remove the etching. Hopefully with polishing the sanding lines will come out. Going to HF to get a pneumatic polisher to save me carpal tunnel syndrome . Any excuse to buy a new tool.

Last couple are from my Dad's Car club he belongs too. We went there for breakfast this morning nag hung out a bit. A lot of great guys a knowledge floating around that place. The East TN chapter was Founded in 1969 and a few at breakfast were some of those original members.

Last one is a photo of a photo. It is cold and raining up here. They have a bunch of bays, a lift, 2 compressors, tire changer, paint booth, storage and more. Neat place to come hang out with friends and work on cars.
image-424411633.jpg   image-3349413558.jpg   image-2157760667.jpg   image-505143633.jpg  

Project 2 "Rustegade"
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #87
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That wheel looks much better. And I like the atmosphere.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #88
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
A lot of great guys up there. I'm sure I could learn a lot faster if I could work up there. I have never been locked into a single car brand to be honest I have had Pontiac, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Jeep, BMW, Infiniti and Honda. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few too. These guys LOVE their Fords though. I'll post up some pics later when I get a chance.

Some of the stories up there get real interesting, of course it can get deep too

Project 2 "Rustegade"
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #89
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Here is a finished wheel and the last one I have to do for a comparison. Took some elbow grease, well, a die grinder with a 4" cotton wheel and Mother's wheel polish.
image-3841999878.jpg   image-796113660.jpg   image-318027653.jpg  

Project 2 "Rustegade"
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #90
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Wow! I need you to wax my Astro!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.