82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!"

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #61
mulehead2
1981 CJ7 

I'm a Jeep fan and a Dead fan...and all Dead incarnations

mulehead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #62
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Yeah, I think the Craft Shack is far too effeminate for a Jeep shop!! Well done, Paul. Better to have a shady place to work on the Jeep with summer coming on.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #63
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Yeah, I think the Craft Shack is far too effeminate for a Jeep shop!! Well done, Paul. Better to have a shady place to work on the Jeep with summer coming on.
Wait a minute now! ... That was my work shop before it was her craft shop and you're calling it effeminate? Just kidding .... My new one has somehow become a lot bigger as it has progressed ... I have NO idea how that happened!!!!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #64
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
The first pic is the workshop I built originally but the wife has deemed her craft space now. The second is my new one I am building that she calls the Jeepmahal now!

It is taking away from jeep work but it is close to getting done.
What are the dimensions of your second workshop? I really like the design for my own!
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #65
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbatt

What are the dimensions of your second workshop? I really like the design for my own!
The front cover is 12 x 32, the main interior is 24 x 32 and the back storage is 14 x 30. I am going to build a 12 x 26 side shed on the left for covered parking of my duck boat too one of these days.

Unread 04-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #66
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Just a note if you are going to do the power steering upgrade also. Don't just buy the $30 GM power steering pulley installer. Go to the counter and ask them if they have a new rental one. If they don't they can get you one on the next truck and it is the same price. The big difference? It comes with a hard case for storage AND it comes with the bolts to do Ford pulleys too for the SAME price.
image-858538607.jpg   image-2681170678.jpg  

Unread 04-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #67
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

When I was first starting this project I had to remove and clean out the poly 20 gallon tank and skid plate. I dropped a logging chain and some kerosene in the tank and swirled it around by hand for a while and then water jetted the tank out and let it air dry for a couple of days upside down. It was tedious but it worked. Then, one of the guys on Capital City Jeepers saw my thread and told me I had been wasting my time and energy ... and I needed to have more ingenuity ... here was his plan!

Unread 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #68
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

That's not a bad idea really, for a metal tank. But I'm curious why you had to clean out your poly tank? Mines been on for 17+ years and it looks clean inside.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #69
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
That's not a bad idea really, for a metal tank. But I'm curious why you had to clean out your poly tank? Mines been on for 17+ years and it looks clean inside.
It sat for years with gas in it and had varnish, sludge and crud in it .... not to mention the remnants of this ......
rusty-fuel-sender.jpg  

Unread 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #70
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulehead2 View Post
I'm a Jeep fan and a Dead fan...and all Dead incarnations
Welcome! Pull up a chair! Let me know if you find a similar Dead sticker somewhere, I am pretty sure that one came from a surf shop over near Carolina Beach North Carolina.

Unread 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #71
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

eewww wow! Yep, I see the need now!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #72
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
eewww wow! Yep, I see the need now!
Yep! I tell you . Getting that poly tank out of the skid plate after 30 years of crud is not a simple task either. I framed, beat pryed, banged and scraped for 2 days. Finally I got a jet nozzle for my water hose and just kept running it around where I could on the sides. I had a stick tied to a rope in the sending unit hole and slowly was able to work the skid plate loose. It was a real PITA. Funny part is..... with my bad back I was having issues so a friend offered to bolt the tank back up there for me. He didn't hook it back up when he did so I'm taking it back down this weekend

Unread 04-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #73
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I finally blew everything else off to spend at least some time on the jeep. Got the intake and manifold back on, 23 lbs doesn't seem like enough but that's what it says for most of them. I was about to put the EGR back on and decided to delete it. But I don't have a plate to cover it. I decided to modify the EGR itself.

First I took a sawzall and removed the body of the EGR. I could not for the life of me get the rest of the shaft and valve out though? Anyone?

I tapped out the hole for a 7/16 bolt but I need a shorter one. I will make sure it seats against that valve to hold it in place to keep it from rattling until someone can tell me how to get it out.

With the right length bolt it should look better than me hack fabbing a plate.
image-3510982980.jpg   image-3315183315.jpg   image-369448233.jpg   image-2603798215.jpg  

Unread 04-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #74
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

At that point Paul I just welded the hole closed. It seems to be working fine. Unless that's the reason all of my oil keeps blowing out of the engine! Make sure you have a good gasket behind it.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #75
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
At that point Paul I just welded the hole closed. It seems to be working fine. Unless that's the reason all of my oil keeps blowing out of the engine! Make sure you have a good gasket behind it.
You welded it? Or clay . Its better off with a bolt from me, trust me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.