82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!"

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #46
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr
Any input on the voltage regulator?

Also, I can't find any input on using a 95 explorer power brake booster. I am going to try it because it was given to me for free. Does anyone know the length of the connecting rod from the firewall to pedal?

Thanks for the help!
Mine is inside the alternator. No idea on the brake booster.

RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #47
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I'm reading in the 82 tsm (pgs. 1L2 & 1L7) that the constant voltage regulator (CVR) is located in the fuel gauge housing and if it's bad you replace the entire fuel gauge.
Page 1J50 tells about the idle speed control, though not real detailed, but you've probably read that already.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #48
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Great build!!! I will follow this one!!!

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingCJ View Post
Mine is inside the alternator. No idea on the brake booster.
I compared the ford with the bracket and it is a little smaller but appears that it could be made to fit. You would have to redrill the bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I'm reading in the 82 tsm (pgs. 1L2 & 1L7) that the constant voltage regulator (CVR) is located in the fuel gauge housing and if it's bad you replace the entire fuel gauge.
Page 1J50 tells about the idle speed control, though not real detailed, but you've probably read that already.
The TSM and Chilton's gave me schematics that I used when tracing the wires. I think the CVR in the fuel gauge is to reduce voltage for the gauge so it doesn't burn out. I may be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkatrucksryan View Post
Great build!!! I will follow this one!!!
Thanks. I hope I can keep up the progress. I need to get my workshop finished so I can get indoors before it gets too hot. It is slow going sometimes working by yourself.

I got some JY finds today I will post up later. Woot!!!!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #50
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:

I compared the ford with the bracket and it is a little smaller but appears that it could be made to fit. You would have to redrill the bracket.

The TSM and Chilton's gave me schematics that I used when tracing the wires. I think the CVR in the fuel gauge is to reduce voltage for the gauge so it doesn't burn out. I may be wrong though.

Thanks. I hope I can keep up the progress. I need to get my workshop finished so I can get indoors before it gets too hot. It is slow going sometimes working by yourself.

I got some JY finds today I will post up later. Woot!!!!
First pic is JY finds. .... Yes I even got an extra booster bracket in case someone else needs one. Scott?

Second is the cleaned up wiring.

Third is the crap removed from the wiring.
image-2871475244.jpg   image-3097202403.jpg   image-1739999356.jpg  

Unread 04-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #51
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

Just subscribed to thread. I to have an 82 7 I am working on as time allows. I have many of the same questions. Hopefully in May I will have a decent amount of time to work on it and finally start my own thread, but for now I'm gonna lurk around yours and see what other questions I have will be inadvertently answered. Good luck!
ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #52
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteel85
Just subscribed to thread. I to have an 82 7 I am working on as time allows. I have many of the same questions. Hopefully in May I will have a decent amount of time to work on it and finally start my own thread, but for now I'm gonna lurk around yours and see what other questions I have will be inadvertently answered. Good luck!
Thanks. I have enjoyed figuring things out and the help on here. What seems trivial to some folks may save a lot of time and headaches for others.

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #53
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The research on the web (mostly JF for me) has been one of the most rewarding aspects of rebuilding a Jeep. Finding out HOW to do something, then going out and DOING it is instantly gratifying. Sorta like hitting a big gator in the head! Do the computer time. It will pay back in dividends.

Thanks for the brake bracket offer, but I am in good shape. My unit is complete. But I do want to see how the Explorer parts work out, so be sure and doc that well. Sonebody will want that info.

Your cleaned up wire mess is OUTSTANDING! Keep rocking, Bud.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #54
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

Thanks. I have enjoyed figuring things out and the help on here. What seems trivial to some folks may save a lot of time and headaches for others.
Yeah working on the Jeep is in some sort of twisted, busted knuckle, frustrated, pi$$ed off, and mad at the world kind of way therapeutic. I'm know mechanic but have great desire to learn. I've already learned so much from this forum!
ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #55
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Here are a few pics of the manifold. I am putting the EGR back and have to try welding a crack in the tube tomorrow. Another skill to learn

First one is the old tubes PO cut and crimped off. You can tell by carbon and look they were leaking like crazy, plus they were ugly.
I had to drill out and retap 2 that broke. They are 1/2-13 thread in case you need to know.

Second is what the empty hole looks like. I was surprised to see it is tapered. So much for just throwing a plug or bolt in.

Third/4th is the bolt I found to go in it from Fastenal. Part is 1/2-13 x 3/4 FHSCS for .62 each. And the high temp rev I am using with the bolts to help seal a bit more.

Fifth is the final result. Way better IMHO.

I am going to start putting the manifold and intake back in tomorrow!!!!

The last one was a brake booster adapter on a YJ in the JY. Is this home made or factory? I haven't seen one like this.
image-342189578.jpg   image-3399810493.jpg   image-506340380.jpg   image-1793026808.jpg   image-2854834516.jpg  

image-1049202594.jpg  

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #56
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay can weld it up for ya, but you can ditch the entire EGR system if you don't want to mess with it. Still requires a very small bit of fab work, however. The counter-sink screw looks very professional in the maifold. And the last pic looks like a seat pedastal for your boat!! But I think it is factory...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #57
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Clay can weld it up for ya, but you can ditch the entire EGR system if you don't want to mess with it. Still requires a very small bit of fab work, however. The counter-sink screw looks very professional in the maifold. And the last pic looks like a seat pedastal for your boat!! But I think it is factory...
I thought it WAS a seat pedestal. Lol. I bought a cheap 110v mig welder on clearance for $95 a while back. Just to weld small stuff if needed and to hopefully build a forge one day soon. It's a small crack so I can't mess it up too bad.

Unread 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #58
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Well, the jeep got put on the back burner since we had rain coming in the forecast. I wanted to get the new workshop housewrapped, windows and doors in and to build the sliding barn doors. My back and knee were trying to keep me from doing anything but I swallowed some meds and plugged away. It's slow going working on your own but I managed to get everything dryed in before the rains made it in. I sat in my new dry shop and put together a small rolling toolbox .... can't own a jeep if you don't have tools.

It was still raining when I came in so I'll get some pics of the shop when I get home from the Doc tomorrow .... gotta get some relief for my back and knees.

Unread 04-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #59
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I hear you about doing it by yourself, I have people I can call on if I have to but I'm usually too stubborn. Just a heads up the YJ master cylinder has diffrent fittings than the CJ lines in your jeep. I think the YJ's are metric. And they are on the wrong side if I remember correctly. What I did was use the YJ booster and a CJ master cylinder with the guts from the YJ master cylinder in it. Good Luck!
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #60
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

The first pic is the workshop I built originally but the wife has deemed her craft space now. The second is my new one I am building that she calls the Jeepmahal now!

It is taking away from jeep work but it is close to getting done.
image-2398318183.jpg   image-4183488126.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.