82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!" - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!"

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I think the first pic is really, really interesting. It is an electronic, self-activated, vacuum leak detector, or ESVLD. They only made it under the hood for one year model. If you replace the vacuum line,
and properly splice those wires, yours will probably work again! Or just remove it and plug that wire into something else.

The second pic, I think, is the wire for the auto tranny kickdown function, but I may be wrong about that. Harnesses were the same for each vehicle, but some options were left out,
so there are plugs you won't use.

The third pic... much of that wire will go away after you Nutter. Be advised... you need to do a better job of permanently attaching those wires. Maybe they are temp for your purposes
at the moment, and if so, apologies for the lecture!

Your manifolds came out dang fine!

Go back to your giant pics, click edit, and resize them. It is hard to read your posts on this page... scrolling, scrolling, scrolling.... ever scrolling, more scrolling, continued scrolling.... more and more scrolling, left to right scrolling, more scrolling than anyone would ever want to do, in a monotonous sort of way, boring really, and now I am tired.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #32
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
I think the first pic is really, really interesting. It is an electronic, self-activated, vacuum leak detector, or ESVLD. They only made it under the hood for one year model. If you replace the vacuum line,
and properly splice those wires, yours will probably work again! Or just remove it and plug that wire into something else.

The second pic, I think, is the wire for the auto tranny kickdown function, but I may be wrong about that. Harnesses were the same for each vehicle, but some options were left out,
so there are plugs you won't use.

The third pic... much of that wire will go away after you Nutter. Be advised... you need to do a better job of permanently attaching those wires. Maybe they are temp for your purposes
at the moment, and if so, apologies for the lecture!

Your manifolds came out dang fine!

Go back to your giant pics, click edit, and resize them. It is hard to read your posts on this page... scrolling, scrolling, scrolling.... ever scrolling, more scrolling, continued scrolling.... more and more scrolling, left to right scrolling, more scrolling than anyone would ever want to do, in a monotonous sort of way, boring really, and now I am tired.
I will go fix the pics. I normally use pixresizer because it is fast and easy. The ones today were from the IPad, were they too big too? I post from phone, iPad and desktop so I think the phone pics are the huge ones.

That ESLVD goes to the factory computer so it is history any way. I traced one of the plugs from the Oem box and deleted it so far. Those wire nuts and duct tape are PO not me! Mine will be solder and heat shrink. I was working on more but my BIL wanted to go scout for hogs and turkey. I had to go . Thanks on the manifold and intake!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #33
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I spent a lot of time researching the loose wires and splices. Most of the emissions sensors were deleted and just not dealt with. The only gauge that works is the voltmeter. I already removed the factory ignition, vacuum leak detector and diagnostic port(I only had one plug when most show 2). I have reasonably determined the idle controller is not necessary and thanks to John Strenk for confirming that for me. (If any of you emissions state folks need it please pm me. I believe the ESVLD and factory ignition are still good too.)

There is a relay which I think controlled the carb solenoid and intake heater. Not sure if it can go away.

On the passenger side and back of the block there is a 2 prong connector and some type of vacuum switch? Can anyone help me figure those out?

I am making slow progress with tracing and researching but at least it's progress.

Please pipe in with anything you may see. This is all a learning process for me.
image-3320836204.jpg   image-3239469239.jpg   image-1235384259.jpg   image-944902649.jpg  

Unread 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #34
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Oh yeah, there were no hoses connected to the water jacket on my intake. Is it common to remove them? Is it going to hurt in the warm weather down here in FL? Does anyone have theres still connected and pics of it?

Thanks!

Unread 04-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #35
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr
Oh yeah, there were no hoses connected to the water jacket on my intake. Is it common to remove them? Is it going to hurt in the warm weather down here in FL? Does anyone have theres still connected and pics of it?

Thanks!
The routing is from T-Stat housing to intake manifold with a molded hose.

Then from the rear port of the intake to the heater box.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #36
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Paul. I was just kidding about the electronic vacuum leak detector. I kinda thought someone would run with that. Fact is, I have never seen anything like that! I don't know what it is, but I ain't got one, so you don't need it!

You don't have to have the intake hooked up to the coolant system. Nothing is hurt without it. However, I have heard you have better performance with it connected, so I just hooked up Clay's. We don't have a heater, so ours is to and from the Tstat housing. So far, I see no difference in performance.

The third pic is your oil sending unit.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
The routing is from T-Stat housing to intake manifold with a molded hose.

Then from the rear port of the intake to the heater box.
Thank You!

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #38
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Paul. I was just kidding about the electronic vacuum leak detector. I kinda thought someone would run with that. Fact is, I have never seen anything like that! I don't know what it is, but I ain't got one, so you don't need it!

You don't have to have the intake hooked up to the coolant system. Nothing is hurt without it. However, I have heard you have better performance with it connected, so I just hooked up Clay's. We don't have a heater, so ours is to and from the Tstat housing. So far, I see no difference in performance.

The third pic is your oil sending unit.
The 4th pic is the idle Controller for 82 models. From what I understand it was a transition until the ECU in 83. I am working to eliminate it now .... I won't post a how to because I have NO idea ho wit's going to work out.

The relay I found is controlling the manifold heater and electronic choke(which my weber has) so I'm going to restore it's wiring and function.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wi...ratch-1460696/

The sending unit for coolant temp is missing and my oil pressure gauge doesn't work so I will have to address those. I will search out the part #'s but I'm going to use John Strenks gauge guide and this one

http://www.jeeptech.com/electrical/gauges/index.html

to trouble shoot first instead of just buying gauges or sending units.

It's frustrating that I am spending more time on the internet researching than I am spending working on the Jeep.

I think with our warm weather I am going to just dust cap the intake water jacket for now, it would seem to be more beneficial for our northern folks.

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #39
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

The second picture is a plug at the firewall just above the oil sending unit .... not sure and it's not part of the real mess I had ... I was just curious.

Unread 04-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #40
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr
The second picture is a plug at the firewall just above the oil sending unit .... not sure and it's not part of the real mess I had ... I was just curious.
I believe those are for the transmission and transfer case. I also want to say that I believe the one relay in the pic with the engine hood light is for the manifold heater, but can't tell for sure.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #41
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

That thing is funky! What, does it check vacuum on itself? Can't say I've seen that. Looks like its some funky emission control.... I'm interested to see what anyone says about it.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #42
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingCJ View Post
That thing is funky! What, does it check vacuum on itself? Can't say I've seen that. Looks like its some funky emission control.... I'm interested to see what anyone says about it.
The PO had removed a lot of sensors and the e choke didn't work on the BBD. They looped that thing on itself and even had wires spliced to go to it.

It's function now ... SOUVENIER!

Unread 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #43
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I wonder if this was shorted pinched between the block and bell housing? PITA to get loose.
image-3738142631.jpg  

Unread 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #44
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I managed to get the wire monster under control but something crossed my mind. I believe the other function of the Idle Controller may have been to be a voltage regulator. Am I just missing it because I don't see anything that could be functioning as that under the hood. Is it built into the alternator? With the wiring mess I hade the idle controller was likely not working anyway. Most of the connections were unplugged or "jumpered" to something else.

I was going to replace the oil pressure switch but it was being a beast to get out. I pb blasted it and will try again tomorrow. I have had enough drilling and tapping after the whole manifold episode!

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #45
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Any input on the voltage regulator?

Also, I can't find any input on using a 95 explorer power brake booster. I am going to try it because it was given to me for free. Does anyone know the length of the connecting rod from the firewall to pedal?

Thanks for the help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.