82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!"

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #16
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It looks like you have a cracked vacuum cap on the metal manifold vacuum port under the carb above the EGR mount.

Those carbs were on every 6 cylinder AMC and jeep made. To look for a 15 dollar carb to take parts off of at a junk yard. But too late.

86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #17
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
It looks like you have a cracked vacuum cap on the metal manifold vacuum port under the carb above the EGR mount.

Those carbs were on every 6 cylinder AMC and jeep made. To look for a 15 dollar carb to take parts off of at a junk yard. But too late.
I wish they were in every junk yard I have looked at. I've been online and traveled all over the area. I even had Pick-n-pull search their North American parts ... they told me Vancouver and somewhere in Washington "may" have it. I even had my dad looking up in East TN to no avail. It seems that they are getting so much for scrap right now that a lot of the places here are crushing way more than they used to. People are clearing out cars etc that have sat for 20 years on their property for the $$$$. Good for them, but sad for those of us looking for old parts.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Next time I go junking ill grab every BBD I can get. I know of at least 3 waggys that have them
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Next time I go junking ill grab every BBD I can get. I know of at least 3 waggys that have them
Even if I could find one here their prices are $45-60 as is.

Unread 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I did find a good way to spend $45 today though! I found a tilt column for the CJ at a kinda local JY. The removal and re-install was very easy .... the only hitch I had was trying to shorten the shaft since the new column is about 2.5 inches longer. The nylon pins on the collapsible shaft are tougher than they look. I didn't want to damage the u joints or terminations so I went to a buddy's house and we heated it with a torch and melted the pins out .... the one good "bang" on a board and the shaft moved down. I had to give it a couple of more taps when I got home to get it to length. It was dark when I finished so I will put up final pics tomorrow.

First pic is the old non tilt column .... second shows the shaft vs column length difference.

I am not certain the year of the column .... it seems to be prior to 82 because it does not have the "key lock" like my 82 does.

Anyone need a non tilt column

Unread 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Good news today. I got the jeep over to a local shop for a much needed exhaust system. It was pretty much just straight pipe the muffler was so rusted out. There was a leak at the manifold connection too. We had to heat it up and take out stud and all because the nuts were so rusted they wouldn't budge. Exhaust sounds so much better! The bad .... you can now hear the rest of the exhaust leaks .... from the manifold gasket

I stopped and ordered those on the way home ... It would probably be wise, based on others advice, to replace them when I do the carb anyway. I was looking at those bolts pretty hard though ... I think this is gonna take a lot longer than the carb.

Unread 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I got a bit done over the weekend. Speedo doesn't work so I started to replace the speedo cable .... and wrung the head off the retainer clip bolt. Then once I finally got the speedo gear out the cable had broken off down in the gear. That took some framming and prodding but it finally came out. Pretty frustrating but I got it done and took it for a test drive with the new cable, still no speedo I put a $79 cd/speaker combo in it and cleaned up a lot of the wiring and loomed everything out of the way for now. I was installing LEDs for courtesy lights under the dash but the cruddy switch I bought from Pep Boys broke before I even got the back nut tightened. I picked up a new one of a different style today. The 5.25 speakers took some cutting before they would fit in the factory location .... but I got them to work. I also had to install an antenna and rearview mirror.

I guess I'm going to be finding the how to check your gauges thread I saw before and testing all of my gauges. Only the amp meter currently works.

I also went to the local Jeep Dealer to get the reverse indicator switch and 4x4 indicator for the transfer case. First I had to wait forever while the guy sucked on a soda and played on his computer. Sitting at a desk looking at me with no one on the phone or with him. Whne he finally came out I told him what I needed and he looked at me like I was crazy. He sid "our catalogs only go back to 84 I can't find your part number" in a I could care less tone. I asked if someone there would have any knowledge that may be able to help and his answer was that we don't mess with stuff that old. I stopped up front on my way out and had a little chat with the GM and told him I was taking my $1600 needed parts list to the internet since his team members don't want to help anyone. He took my number but I don't expect much. After 22 years in retail as a manager myself I guess I just expect too much.

Unread 04-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Paul, search out John Strenk for gauge help. He has some links in his sig that might be helpful. I have another speedo (disassembled- don't know the year) if you need it.
They are easy to take apart and inspect. Pry off the ring, remove the two screws in back, separate it. The gears inside are plastic, but they should move
freely when you spin the cable stem. Glad to see you driving your Jeep. You are ahead of me! And let me know if you have any plant questions.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Still can't get the jeep to run right. It has a miss and we can't quite get it figured out. I went ahead and did new plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor and coil. Ran better for a brief period it seemed then back to the miss.
The engine compartment is a pure mess and none of the guages are operational. A lot of vacuum lines are plugged and it has an aftermarket valve cover.

I have NEVER heard of a CJ acting like that. It must be the owner...

Just kidding man! enjoy it it sounds like you are making real good progress so far. I wish mine went together this quick.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyD View Post
I have NEVER heard of a CJ acting like that. It must be the owner...

Just kidding man! enjoy it it sounds like you are making real good progress so far. I wish mine went together this quick.
I definately suffer from ESO syndrome. (Equipment Superior to Operator).

The brown Santa showed u pwith the weber today so I'm reading the install guide. I also "slapped some lipstick on the pig" and at least gave the old body a paint scheme instead of rust, primer, white and blue it was. I am torn between a Hunt Club Green and black scheme and going back to the original Blue/White CJ scheme. This is not going to be a 100% OEM resto so it's not critical I keep the OEM paint scheme. I hunt and spend time in the woods so metal flake is not gonna happen either.

We will see how it goes and I'llpost pictures up tomorrow when it stops raining here.

Paul

Unread 04-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #26
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Yeah I'm curious to see how the weber and the MSD get along, That sounds like an interesting combination.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyD
Yeah I'm curious to see how the weber and the MSD get along, That sounds like an interesting combination.
I hope there is no issue. A lot of others run the MSD 6 model.

I got it cleaned up and gave it some rust stopper and rustoleum to hold it together until I get started on the body swap. I also got started dismantling and cleaning up the intake and manifolds to put a new gasket set in before I mess with the new weber install. 4 of the intake/manifold bolts were hand loose. Leaks everywhere. The hard line from the EGR is cracked too but I think it can be welded. The PO had clamped off tubes coming from the manifold. I managed to get most of the bolts loose but had to drill and tap out 2 of them. I am going to try to find something to plug the holes with tomorrow. Slow going cleaning up all the grime and crud but I have the block and mating surfaces prepped. Is it worthwhile, or even smart, to blue thread lock the bolts when I put them back?
image-1191937823.jpg   image-1784121017.jpg   image-1781529049.jpg   image-2604135563.jpg   image-2650807635.jpg  

image-3522618324.jpg  

Unread 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #28
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My msd6 is from 1991. Still working.
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
My msd6 is from 1991. Still working.
I was going to go with the new 6A but after not being able to find the parts I needed for the BBD in a short amount of time I saved and few bucks and bought the MSD Streetfire. Looking at the specs it isn't quite as high as the 6 but for $50 less it seems to be a great value!! Only time will tell

Unread 04-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

And the black hole under the hood deepens. While I had the manifold and intake out I figured I would clean them up and repaint them. I spent all day yesterday on spring yard work so today I started back on the jeep. I have slpiced, wire nutted, loose and capped wires everywhere. I'm trying to sort the rats nest out and going to do a nutter since I have the MSD now. I want to clean up under the hood and get all the unnessesary out of there. I'm just not real sure how deep this rabbit hole goes though

Got pics up. I have untangled everything and now to identify what they were doing. Feel free to pipe in if you see something.
image-2386035175.jpg   image-2298885284.jpg   image-2638089580.jpg   image-1722685960.jpg   image-264604861.jpg  

image-3926517803.jpg   image-524404482.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.