82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!"

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

82 CJ7 Project: "Rustful Dead!"

I have posted a few things on the forum but it looks like it's time to put up more pics of the CJ I have started on. It belonged to one of my brothers for a long time and has been sitting for years now. He sold it to my dad, kinda hoping dad would fix it up and give it back to him, and dad finally sold it to me after a discussion about how much I missed my other jeep. I don't have a lot of time to work on it but I have almost completed a dry workspace for it and I am working on making it mechanically sound first.

So far it has gotten new fluids throughout, a gas tank repair and rebuild, new battery, brakes all around which included a new drums and calipers and media blasted and epoxyed really rusted wheels.

A tranny place swapped my brothers T5 for a 3 speed when his went out telling him it was better for it. It went out 6 months later and they would not warranty it and had sold his T5(go figure) I was able to locate another T5 and had it rebuilt and the transfer case gone through so they are mated back up. When I put thme back in I went ahead and put in a new clutch kit too.

I got a little gas in her and after sitting all that time she started on the 3rd try and ran pretty well. The carb is slightly rough but I'm going to drive it a bit and see what shakes out.

Here are my starting pics for ya'll. After a life in the mountains of TN and then North Carolina Beaches it has made it to it's retirement(active) with me in Florida. I don't think there will be trouble getting fresh air in the cab for a while.

img_1497-640x427-.jpg   img_1498-640x427-.jpg   img_1499-640x427-.jpg   img_1500-640x427-.jpg   img_1501-640x427-.jpg  

img_1502-640x427-.jpg   img_1503-640x427-.jpg   img_1504-640x427-.jpg   img_1505-640x427-.jpg   img_1506-640x427-.jpg  

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"

Last edited by HALOjmpr; 03-31-2013 at 05:39 PM..
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

My vote is to keep the dead sticker on her at all costs.

Wow, you got some rust to deal with......good luck and post lots of pics!!!!
kconnor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconnor123 View Post
My vote is to keep the dead sticker on her at all costs.

Wow, you got some rust to deal with......good luck and post lots of pics!!!!
It sucks but the dead stickers didn't make it. That top had been hit by a tree and was cracked pretty badly. I traded some doors and other parts I had and got another top. I also managed to get a pretty decent donor body for the rust issues. It is going to be much easier to fix and then I can just swap them. I got a great deal on the painless harness from Amazon and I plan on doing it at the time of the swap. The frame is amazingly free of rust so that's the good news.

I was planning on doing the nutter bypass and ignition upgrade .... anyone have thoughts on that?

Unread 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Bigmaaty
1979 CJ7 

Planned on the ignition upgrade for today but 6 to 12 inches of snow has put that off for a few days. Spent about a year working in Ft. Meyers a while ago, I do miss those Fla. winters. A shame about the "Dead" sticker, seems like a good theme for bringing it back to life.
Bigmaaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

My 78 had those same pinstripes from the factory. Haven't seen them very often. Mine are long gone but it brings back lotsa memories. Good luck on the rebuild!
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Thanks everyone. One thing I've already noticed with the brakes is that I got pads, calipers and drums for the 82 but had to take em back. The ones for the 1980 fit fine. I don't know if I got spare parts in 82 assembly line or if or if they just got swapped out over the last 30 years. My brother says no axle swap when he had it. Got all new ujoints today and should ge tthat back together soon. I've been waiting for stuff for the workshop I'm building and making some progress on the jeep while I saved the money. I start Spring Break this weekend(Haven't had one of those in 25 years) so I plan on getting the entire outside shell of the shop finished, weed and remulch all of the flower beds, and planting 100 trees through out my lot. That should keep me busy .... plus Wed. I have an interview with the NWTF. If all that isn't enough I'm going to harrow, spray and overseed my entire 5 acres if I can find the time. Anyone know anyone who does cloning?

Unread 03-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmaaty View Post
Planned on the ignition upgrade for today but 6 to 12 inches of snow has put that off for a few days. Spent about a year working in Ft. Meyers a while ago, I do miss those Fla. winters. A shame about the "Dead" sticker, seems like a good theme for bringing it back to life.
My brother who had the jeep before is a huge Dead and Buffet fan ... I may have to make one of those a theme in honor of him. Not a bad idea there!

Unread 03-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Well, rust bucket is an operational and driveable jeep again. The carb is still just a little rough after sitting for so long. I'm taking her to a mechanic friend who is going to try to smooth it out this weekend. I will jus ttake the doors off and start driving it maybe next week. I have to get started on the donor body now and get it ready to swap.

Unread 03-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Still can't get the jeep to run right. It has a miss and we can't quite get it figured out. I went ahead and did new plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor and coil. Ran better for a brief period it seemed then back to the miss.
The engine compartment is a pure mess and none of the guages are operational. A lot of vacuum lines are plugged and it has an aftermarket valve cover.

I have some pics on the phone and I'm going to post them .... maybe some of you can tell me what to go after first based on the pics.

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks!

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

If/when you decide to start tackling the rust, make sure you keep the part of the rocker panel shown in your 7th picture or weld it back in place. Because Jeeps seldom came with hard doors, and when they did they were removable, they placed the VIN info normally found on the door jamb inside the rocker.....upside down so you can read it easier.

I had cut mine out with the intent of welding it back in but be damned if I can find it. And since the one on the windshield frame went to the scrappers I now only have one VIN tag.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

So if the picture attached you can see the new plugs are burnt but only on one side. All 6 plugs are the same way. I am doing the Team rush and regapping the plugs @ .045 as recommended. I am afraid after researching the accel super stock coil they recommended I upgrade to has fried the ignition module. Something about it not having enough resistance?
2013-03-23_19-50-50_305.jpg   forumrunner_20130323_195752.jpg  

Unread 03-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Managed to get ignition under control and completed the TeamRush. I went with the MSD coil and took the ACCEL back. I also went with the MSD StreetFire ignition to replace the stock one. I don't ever plan on switching back so I didn't buy any special adapters. I wired it with spade terminals and heat shrunk those connections after testing. It was $140 so it is $40 cheaper than the 6201 and still has 95kJ of spark energy with every fire. It also includes the Rev Limiter if that matters to you.

I badly need to upgrade the carter carb but I rigged it for now. Can't get the idle down but I will have to figure that out later.
image-957134562.jpg   image-4153287442.jpg   image-1194167511.jpg   image-1560814417.jpg  

Unread 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Well, I figured out the idle tonight .. DUH!!!! I missed an important step in the CDI install. It comes set up for a V8 motor and you must cut the red loop wire at the box in order to tell it it is for a 6 cylinder. After I did that the idle settled right down after warm up. I went back and wire loomed everything and cleaned it up. I won't road test it until tomorrow when I am taking it in for a new exhaust from the manifold back. I have been soaking the bolts with PB Blaster at the manifold for the last couple of days so hopefully they will come out a little easier for the muffler shop. Wish me luck!

Unread 03-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I updated the thread name to reflect the name input some others have given this project. I'm going to try to resurrect the "Rustful Dead" and locate another window sticker to go in her back window when it is done. I think my brother will like it!

Sorry for you thread readers that I post my own answers a lot of times before the forum gets to them. I love jeep forum and the people here .... I'm just not a very patient person and I hate not being able to figure something out. Since I never have been a mechanic most of this is new to me so I'm ogin g to post my mistakes as wellas my successes so hopefully someone else can avoid my mistakes!

Let me know if anyone can find one of those stickers in the rear window !!!!!

Paul

Unread 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I have been trying to locate the linkage, choke and rebuild parts for the Carter BBD. I really thought it would be cheaper and still have the jeep run OK. I have no idea why my brother let someone(or him) disconnect the choke linkage and components.
The E-choke itself is $44 for what I could find, so it's $55 with shipping and tax. The rebuild kit is $20-25 and the kicker was the linkage parts, springs etc .... would have been at least another $40. So I would have $125 and time into a 30 yo carb that could have more issues I would find on the rebuild. I decided to part woth some of my saved money and get the Weber kit ordered.

It's amazing how many opinions there are on the carb situation. I ordered the 551 Kit which is more geared to a slight improvement over the OEM. I can't see a reason at this point for me to get the 38 Kit. I hope it's as simple to install and tune as others have made out .... I am a carb rookie 100%.

I've got to stop working on the jeep and get the workshop finished ... but it's like an addiction

Look forwar to pics and I'm sure a few laughs as I try to figure this out when it gets here!

Paul

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.