82 CJ7 Build up - blackout - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ7 Build up - blackout

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I figure I should let you guys in on what I have planned. First off, as I mentioned, I will be getting a fiberglass tub. I don't ever want to worry about rust on that part of the Jeep AGAIN. The other parts, not so much cause they can be removed with ease. When you guys (or at least you guys whose build threads I've read, Coiz I'm looking your way) get to removing your tubs, you have a pic with the tub on with a title saying something like "before taking tub off". Then you have a pic of your jeep down to the frame, with a title saying "tub gone"! When I started taking my tub off, like an idiot I thought there was nothing to it, half hour job at most. Just Loosen a few bolts and Bob's yer uncle. WRONG!!!! First off, whoever invented Torx bolts should be shot in the face, burned then pissed on. And the body mounting bolts underneath- those were a hoot as well. I no longer have hands by the way, just 2 gnarled claws. I guess you boys just made it look so simple. Anyways, I hope to do a chevy 350/t350 engine and tranny swap. I have the I6 right now, which is a good motor, don't get me wrong. But a 350 just seems like a better fit for me. I will be getting a painless wire harness, and replacing the entire ignition system. New headlights, taillights, side markers, Crown interior lamps (which I've read light up your interior like Times Square), all new seats, new OEM replacement gauges, new accessory knobs, tuffy security console with stereo, dual exhaust (magnaflow, flowmaster, whatever is the better brand with the best price and/or meanest sound). I need to get a Bestop Supertop with 2-piece soft doors. As you saw I already have a bikini top. I need to pick up one more 33/12.5/15 Procomp Xterrain for a spare. I custom made my own front bumper (pics are coming), and my rear bumper is a work in progress. Anything I fab myself gets made at my work on my days off. I don't have a welder at my house, no air compressor (yet) or air tools (both of which I haven't really needed up to this point).Off the top of my head, those are the plans. Other stuff will come up I'm sure, but those are the for-sures. What do you guys think?

SaskCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCJ7 View Post
Thanks for reading! As far as the Flat black's durability, I used to have a '90 GMC sierra that I used the same paint on. It does the trick if its done right. I don't know much about paint except that I like what I see, though. And I've seen other guys with flat green Jeeps. They look sweet. Do you mean olive drab, or more of a forest green?
Yep, olive drab. Ral 6014, as used by the Dutch army and probably everybody else in the world since WOII before moving to a Sand colour. I can get the same stuff the Dutch Jeeps (Nekaf/M38 A1) were painted with. They used brushes back in the day, I'm going rollin' But before that I'd better get the Jeep back together.

Build threads are good, I don't have one though. I'd lack updates... I do enjoy reading other's build threads.
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The parts you already have painted look good. There is no doubt your tool collection will grow during this process. It is nice that you have access to a full sized shop for some of your work. Do you have any plans for the roll bar and tying that to the frame with the fiberglass body?
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylke View Post
Yep, olive drab. Ral 6014, as used by the Dutch army and probably everybody else in the world since WOII before moving to a Sand colour. I can get the same stuff the Dutch Jeeps (Nekaf/M38 A1) were painted with. They used brushes back in the day, I'm going rollin' But before that I'd better get the Jeep back together.

Build threads are good, I don't have one though. I'd lack updates... I do enjoy reading other's build threads.
Well if you do start up a build thread, let me know. I love reading them too!
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
The parts you already have painted look good. There is no doubt your tool collection will grow during this process. It is nice that you have access to a full sized shop for some of your work. Do you have any plans for the roll bar and tying that to the frame with the fiberglass body?
As far as the tool collection goes, my own personal tool supply is LOW. But again, we have just about anything a guy will need at my work. So that will definately come in handy. As far as the roll bar is concerned- I don't know. The Jeep will primarily be used as a daily driver with maybe some mild (and I mean mild) wheeling. For that reason, is that something I should do? Or is that more for the guys who have good reason to worry about rolling their jeep? If I do I'll have to find someone with a thread on how to do this.
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #21
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Torx fittings are great, they do not cam out the tool like an ordinary screw. Instead they will hold the tool to the point of breaking the tool. They are great anywhere you may have expected to see a self tapper IF you have the right tool bit.

However I have had several that have siezed solid and they are not as easy to work with as a hex head bolt. The last stubborn one came off with a hammer and chisel.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Torx fittings are great, they do not cam out the tool like an ordinary screw. Instead they will hold the tool to the point of breaking the tool. They are great anywhere you may have expected to see a self tapper IF you have the right tool bit.

However I have had several that have siezed solid and they are not as easy to work with as a hex head bolt. The last stubborn one came off with a hammer and chisel.
That's a good point, I do see their usefulness. But man when they seize, they are a PAIN! And I actually did break one of my Torx head inserts trying to get one out. And I've stripped maybe 5 so far. Oh well.
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

So I'll show a couple things that the PO did. First of all, he had a speaker box in the back behind the bench that housed a 10" sub. The box was small enough to fit back back there, but big enough that you had to get it in and out by opening the tailgate- you couldn't just drop it in. So for the sake of securing his 2nd hand 10" Cerwin Vega speaker, he goes and does this...

and even better...

Now I've seen good welding, I've even seen great welding. But the gentleman responsable for that should have a shrine made for him, for he has taken welding into a new realm.
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

As if that wasn't enough, I guess the guy REALLY wanted his roll bar to stay put.

The other post was the same way. Ugh.
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

So here's buddy grinding one side of the roll bar off...

and me on the other side...

here's pulling it off...

And here's what was waiting underneath...

Here's a pic of an A+ patch job...

This has all led to my ultimate decision to just get a new tub. I have the skill to repair it, but I don't have the time, patience or desire.
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I finished fabbing my front bumper. I think it looks good. I cut the sides of the original bumper to be as long as the frame is wide, welded it to the back of the new bumper so then it could be bolted to the frame the exact same way. The hardest part by far was the two flat bars that make up the sides of the bull bar. They have a very custom shape to them, so the only machine process used to make them was cutting some stock flat bar at the saw. The rest was done with a torch (I can control a oxy/acetylene torch easier that a plasma for some reason, maybe cause it's heavier?) byhand, then a grinder with a soft disk to smooth it out. Doing one was easy, but making a second one the exact same shape was where it got a little trickier. They turned out good though. Overall I'm really happy with it.

The rear bumper is being fabbed up right now. It's about halfway finished. I plan on getting a fiberglass tub with no tailgate opening (despite the crappy welding, the PO had the right idea about securing that speaker box...), so I figure I don't need my spare tire mount to swing out. Therefore the whole thing is going to be one solid piece. I'll provide pics when it's done, or the next time I go to work I'll bring my camera and snap a few pics. Anyways, I'm headin out for a drink with a work buddy.
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #27
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

Subscribed! ... im a sucker for the flat paint jobs!

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #28
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepican View Post
Subscribed! ... im a sucker for the flat paint jobs!
Thanks man, hope I don't dissappoint!
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
Btowntaz
1980 CJ7 

I found a better way to take out Torx! Drill the bastards out!

Good luck with your build. Looking great so far.
[SIZE="4"][B]My Jeep build:[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/80-cj-7-still-hunting-father-son-build-1208894/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/80-cj-7-still-hunting-father-son-build-1208894/[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=SaskCJ7;12154245]First off, whoever invented Torx bolts should be shot in the face, burned then pissed on.[/QUOTE]
Btowntaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #30
tahoe wheelers

Or an even easier way to get those stupid torx out is to weld a nut on top of them. Then those bastards come right out.
1985 cj 7. 360 V8, 35X12.50 BFG's sitting on Crager 15X8 rims, summer brothers axle rear, Yukon axles up front, lock rite lockers front and rear, 5" of lift, body armor, six point roll cage, 8000lb warn winch, 4.56 yukon gears front and rear, t-18, dana 300. And much more on the way.

www.therockgods.com
www.reno4x4.com
tahoe wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.