Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

82 cj7 build "eugene"

46K views 86 replies 14 participants last post by  Jordaddy 
#1 ·
bought this jeep in may of 09 with a ton of rust and a knocking amc360 , rebuilt T18a , and d300. leaking radiator and power steering gear box. stock axles and generic 33"

i had motor rebuilt, replaced power steering gear box, got a yellow top optima, aluminum radiator, rugged ridge steering box frame reinforced mount, bought full width axles for it, h1's on 36" wranglers. headman headers, flowmaster 44's. twin sticks, put my own choke cable and made tranny cover.

front drivers side floor

twin sticks installed(JB CUSTUMS)

rear floor truck bed lined

driver side rocker panel

rear driver side corner

rear driver side frame broke

another weak spot on the frame i boxed in

i don't have the full width axles installed yet as i don't have the funding yet. right now i'm still finishing up the rear frame and crossmember. next i will repair the tailgate.

thanks for looking :thumbsup:

See less See more
#56 ·
Got the ARB locker installed replacing the lincoln locker and their free cover that came with it. Cover is really nice, thick and has a magnetic dip stick and drain plug too.

Attachments

#59 ·
somfukinguy said:
same question any steering issues or 1 ton axle issues? Looks awesome
At first I had a problem with the knuckle wearing out around upper ball joint. I had a set of flat tops laying around so I had them drilled and tapped and switched knuckles so no problems anymore. I can drive 65 mph all day and it goes straight. Took me awhile to get the alignment and wheels balanced but I ended up doing it myself and did better than the local shop (crap).

#60 ·
Finished installing a constant duty viair on board air kit to power front ARB and to run air tools. Took me a while to install this as the directions kind of suck and they don't give you everything you need in the kit. Great quality parts but horrible everything else. I plumbed the output behind pass seat at an angle tucked away that everything is out of the way for anyone getting in the back seat. The compressor is actually very quite and the locker doesn't take much pressure or volume to operate. I can probably fill the locker close to 50 times on one tank of air. I mounted the tank on a plate and clamp it to the roll bar so no holes are drilled in fender and I can simply remove it whenever I want to if needed. This allowed me to tuck it inside the roll bar more taking up unused space.

Attachments

#62 ·
Finally put it on a rti ramp to see what it would do. Scored 1164.

Attachments

#65 ·
New edelbrock aluminum non egr intake and
Holley 670 truck avenger carb
Before I had Holley 500 2- barrel on stock cast intake

Immediately I noticed more power on top end and less power on bottom end. The engine is smoother in acceleration too.

Attachments

#69 ·
Almost flipped the jeep last weekend and resulted in a broken leaf spring. Easy fix once we got another spring (borrowed) as I used my air impact with OBA kit I have. Took maybe 15 min with two of us.

Attachments

#70 ·
Upgraded ignition

Worked on mounting tool box and high lift on my trailer

Also got my hands on a griffin radiator. Their rad lock system for off road. Has rubber mounts all the way around to allow the radiator to float in the mounts.

Attachments

#75 ·
Random wheeling pics. Some with the monster girls

Attachments

#76 ·
I know it's been a while, but do you know what the width of the h1 rims with the 14 bolt? I'm looking at doing a similar swap on my TJ. Thanks, looks great!

#78 ·
Did not expect that so quickly, thanks. I've had trouble finding aftermarket tires for the 16.5" rims, and ideas where you logged with success?

#79 ·
at that rim size the selection is very limited. Pretty much either swampers or pitbulls. I wanted a radial since i drive highway to wheel so i narrowed it down to iroks vs rockers and everything i read the rockers came out on top. expensive but worth every penny. The iroks were in 36"x13.5" and the rockers i chose were 37"x12.5" glad i didn't go any wider than 12.5" as its very close to my leaf springs on the front. i was also concerned with 37" as my clearance to get inside my one car garage was very tight. after said and done with my hard top on i have one inch or less on height to get inside my garage. i was able to find my H1's locally and at a decent price too. So i picked up 4 of them. For the 5th spare, i ordered one from a military surplus store and ate the expensive shipping costs.

If i were shopping rims and couldn't find h1's cheap i would invest in some 17" bead locks and open up my tire selection and size selection too.

#80 ·
I've considered buying 17" bead locks, but they are so expensive. I can get h1 runs for a fraction of the cost. I think I'll be running 37" on mine, might break down and go for full coil overs. I'm going with a Dana 60 front in mine though.

#82 ·
Haven't updated this in a long time. The website went downhill for a while and I just never logged in again.

This thing has changed a lot.

Has a LS 5.3 from a 99 chevy now. May post more info later. Just testing the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.