82 CJ5 oil spray at highway speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ5 oil spray at highway speeds

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
cdmcfarland
1982 CJ5 

82 CJ5 oil spray at highway speeds

Hey folks (posted this twice, didn't realize there was a CJ forum!)!

I just purchased my first older Jeep (82 CJ5) and drove her from Columbus to my hometown near Wheeling, WV to do some patching/change oil/etc. It was about a 130 mile drive. I knew when I picked it up that the gasket valve cover had a small leak (was oil on the driver side). So, we went and purchased a new gasket valve cover (we bought a rubber one rather than cork) and a new thermostat/gasket. We replaced all of this, secured everything down, and it doesn't leak when idling or when driving around town. Thought everything was a-okay until I took her on the highway and saw oil leaking in through the firewall onto the floor. Lifted the hood and it looks like a tornado of oil ran through the passenger side of the motor. Lost about a quart driving 30 miles on the highway at around 60mph. I put more oil in it, cleaned it up, and drove around town and once again no leaking at all - but as soon as it went back on the highway it started spewing once again.

We're at a standstill because we have no idea what to do. We can't trace the leak because it doesn't even drip when idling or when you mash the gas with the clutch in or out in neutral. I've been looking around and have heard that the PCV valve might need changed along with its hose, but there doesn't seem to be much oil near that part of the motor as most of it is near the firewall/back of the valve cover (likely from the spray).

We're going to change the PCV and the hose anyway just in case we strike a miracle but if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great! A side note - before we changed the gasket valve cover, there was NO spray at all - the only oil leak came from the driver side right by the valve cover; now the driver side of the engine is completely dry while the passenger side is DRENCHED.

Thanks!

cdmcfarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

A) I'm assuming the dipstick is in place? B) if dipstick is there, check the base of the dipstick tube. The oil pressure sensor is on that side as well, toward the firewall behind the dipstick. Check those for leaks.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
cdmcfarland
1982 CJ5 

The dipstick is in place but I'll take a look at the tube, didn't even think to look there. We checked the oil pressure sensor and it's not leaking. I'll update about the tube though. Thanks!
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The oil filter is on that side too, obviously. I'm just trying to make a mental checklist of every orifice that could be slinging that oil
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
cdmcfarland
1982 CJ5 

Yeah, we changed the oil after changing the gasket valve cover, so I know that's on there nice and snug. Not too sure how good that oil change did me since it's painted all over the engine . I'm hoping its the PCV valve or hose since we didn't touch anything else when we changed the valve cover, but lord knows.
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
jcwebber

Did you find the cause?

I have the very same issue on a 78 CJ7 with a 304 V8. At top speed it throws oil everywhere on the passenger side. Did you find a resolution?
jcwebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Chevy's have a problem that does the same thing. The fuel pump pushrod has a spot for a bolt to hold the rod in place while changing fuel pump, when done, pull bolt and off you go, rod floats and pushes when cam commands it. Sometimes, the rod is a little undersized and will leak oil out that hole when rpms are up and oil thins a bit. Annoying cause you can't catch it in the act, a video cam might catch it.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

I'm wondering if you have a bad ring/ rings on the pistons and at hi way speed under load it is pressurizing the oil pan and forcing oil out the dip stick tube, it only has to dislodge it enough to let oil out.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Chevy's have a problem that does the same thing. The fuel pump pushrod has a spot for a bolt to hold the rod in place while changing fuel pump, when done, pull bolt and off you go, rod floats and pushes when cam commands it. Sometimes, the rod is a little undersized and will leak oil out that hole when rpms are up and oil thins a bit. Annoying cause you can't catch it in the act, a video cam might catch it.

WSS
never heard of this, how do you prevent this, from happening. is there a specific way to change out the pump? Is this really some thing that might happen on a 4.2?
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
jcwebber

One thing I did do to try to catch it was I put a tube over the oil cap vent to an overflow to see if it was shooting it out of there. Nothing in the tank, but oil everywhere else on the passenger side still.
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
jcwebber

If it were forcing oil out of the dipstick tube, wouldn't I get it on the driver's side?
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwebber View Post
If it were forcing oil out of the dipstick tube, wouldn't I get it on the driver's side?
The dip stick tube on both of my 258s is on the passenger side.
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
never heard of this, how do you prevent this, from happening. is there a specific way to change out the pump? Is this really some thing that might happen on a 4.2?
Put a short bolt in it, shorter than needed to engage the pump rod.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
jcwebber

Oh, it's on the driver's side on the 304.
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #15
mistrornge

1983 CJ7 

I believe my oil dipstick is leaking. What is the fix for that?
Owner of a 1983 Jeep CJ7. I fear I am soon to be destitute from the constant desire to fix or "improve" things. Bought it to relearn auto mechanics, boy am I learning. In my avatar you can see my Jeep with my parts retrieval and repair vehicle in the foreground.

Master cylinder change, bled brakes, rear differential seal redo, replaced innards of a wheel hub, installed parking brake, rear folding seat, center console, half doors, soft top, refurbed tire carrier, pulled heater box, etc.

I would like to say thank you to everyone for helping each other and the great posts that are a big help.
mistrornge is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.