82 CJ tub swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 82 CJ tub swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
McDiesel45
1982 CJ7 

82 CJ tub swap

Hey everyone,

I working on my first jeep. I'm redoing an 82 CJ. Ive read lot on her abouting using a YJ tub for a swap. Ive read that a body mount needs to be moved for the use of the YJ tub. My question is what body mount needs to be moved. Is it the rear "arm" type mount??
Plan on a lot more questions from me, until this project is done.

Thanks for any help that can make this build go smooth.
Mike

McDiesel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I had to do something with the one right in front of the rear wheels and the back ones.

If running a CJ windshield you will have some mods there as well, and gas tank filler too.

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
McDiesel45
1982 CJ7 

I know about the fuel filler, which I think its not that big of a deal. I have access to a plasima cutter. I plan on using all the CJ body part (besides the tub). I never heard anything about mods with windshield. What did you have to do there? My plan is to set the body on the frame and see what I need to move and where.

Mike
McDiesel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Just move the fuel filler to the side. Makes fillups a breeZe!
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

If using a CJ Windshield as I did, you'll have to modify the top of the cowl so the CJ ducts wilI work

Dave in Muskegon
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I cut the defrost section of my CJ tub and welded it in the YJ tub. I took the whole section, side to side. If you just take the center section then the holes for the windshield hold down knobs will be slightly off on the YJ tub (If you use a CJ windshield).

If you want to use your CJ tailgate, swipe the supports for the cables from your old tub. You will have to drill for the CJ hinges as well.

The mount just in front of the rear tires does not match the YJ mount point. I chose to ignore. That mount will land on a channel of the YJ tub. I plan to cut a 1/2" piece of steel to size, drill/tap and slide it in the channel to bolt that mount. The mount holes on the rear crossmember need to move out about 3/4".

Your CJ battery tray will not match the mounting holes on the firewall. I marked, and drilled and welded in nut in correct location.

If using CJ rear fender flares, weld up the YJ holes, mark and drill holes for CJ flares.

I have read the rear drip edge of the tub may interfere with the frame but have not set my tub on the frame yet to know.

Will need to drill holes for floor dimmer switch.

You already know about the fuel filler.

Paul
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I cut the defrost section of my CJ tub and welded it in the YJ tub. I took the whole section, side to side. If you just take the center section then the holes for the windshield hold down knobs will be slightly off on the YJ tub (If you use a CJ windshield).

If you want to use your CJ tailgate, swipe the supports for the cables from your old tub. You will have to drill for the CJ hinges as well.

The mount just in front of the rear tires does not match the YJ mount point. I chose to ignore. That mount will land on a channel of the YJ tub. I plan to cut a 1/2" piece of steel to size, drill/tap and slide it in the channel to bolt that mount. The mount holes on the rear crossmember need to move out about 3/4".

Your CJ battery tray will not match the mounting holes on the firewall. I marked, and drilled and welded in nut in correct location.

If using CJ rear fender flares, weld up the YJ holes, mark and drill holes for CJ flares.

I have read the rear drip edge of the tub may interfere with the frame but have not set my tub on the frame yet to know.

Will need to drill hole for floor dimmer switch.
I did all of these for my swap, plus I put angle iron in the rear crossmember of the tub for support of the tailgate.

Dave in Muskegon
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Definitely worth it - easy to do. I put a '94 body on a '79 frame and only had to move the two mounts in front of the rear wheels 1/2". I chose to flip the tank around and re-route the fuel line to marry up with the YJ location and keep my CJ windshield.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

Ive been working on this as well... I was wondering if anyone has had to drill a hole for the clutch linkage to go through the firewall???? I dont have a hole in mine.. just wondering if it just my YJ tub that doesn't have it or its on all of them??
Jeep149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep149 View Post
Ive been working on this as well... I was wondering if anyone has had to drill a hole for the clutch linkage to go through the firewall???? I dont have a hole in mine.. just wondering if it just my YJ tub that doesn't have it or its on all of them??
I'd say maybe the automatics don't but my '94 came off an automatic and it had the hole. Who knows....

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
pipster453
1981 CJ7 

I put a 95 tub on my 82. I had to drill a hole for my clutch. The tub i bought came with YJ battery tray so was easy. The body mounts infront of the rear tires don't line up as mentioned. They do line up with holes in the channel. I just put a nut and washer inside the channel. The mount holes on the rear crossmember will have to be elongated a couple inches to line up. I cut the tailgate cable mounts out of my old tub and welded them in the new one. I also drilled the holes for thr tailgate hinges and reinforced them with some 3/16 steel. Cutting the ole for the fuel filler isnt bad. I used a jigsaw. And I put corner guards on that served 2 purposes. 1. Covers the old fuel filler hole and 2. Covered the YJ dent on the right rear corner where the tailgate stop was. I also put in a YJ windshield frame to make the family roll bar mount easier. So I cut holes in the tub cowl and modded the windshield frame. Easy with dremel. Good luck! Keep us informed!
pipster453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorse6 View Post
I'd say maybe the automatics don't but my '94 came off an automatic and it had the hole. Who knows....
yeah... not sure! I was thinking just drill a hole but it would have to be right on that seem that goes a crossed the front of the tub.. Not sure if thats the smartest thing in the world to do
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
pipster453
1981 CJ7 

Ok I lied. Mine had a hole I had to notch is for clearance. Here is the location. Hope this helps
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
pipster453
1981 CJ7 

20130922_212359.jpg

Name:  20130922_212359.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  128.7 KB
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

This is how I made my CJ tailgate work with my YJ tub..
image-4.jpg

image-6.jpg

image-5.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.