I bought my first CJ, an '82 CJ-7 Renegade, on Saturday and I am absolutely in love. I've owned two TJ's prior to this and have always admired the CJ's and finally found the perfect one for a fair price so I snatched it up. The stats are listed in my Sig and for being a 30 year old vehicle, it is impressive. The Engine is brand new w/ only a few thousand miles, the T5 was replaced with a T-176, and it has a new Weber carb. I bought it in North Carolina 4 hours from where I live and drove it back and it ran perfectly. It handles well w/ plenty of power and ran 65-70 mph comfortably the entire way back. I couldn't be happier with the purchase and it's incredible to experience the feeling that comes along with owning these old Jeeps. They simply don't make them anything like they used to and the CJ's have a presence and spirit to them that the modern ones disappoint in comparison.
I am not going to overly modify the Jeep as I am looking to restore it to its original look as much as possible. It still has the original paint so my only big plans for the exterior (since it is already lifted with brand new wheels and tires) is a fresh paint job of the original color and decals. For the interior, I am just going to "freshen" it up a bit and improve the sound system. Everything else is in great shape.
I have several questions that I need assistance with:
1) What is the Original Paint Color and Code for my Jeep? I cannot seem to find it. I'm thinking it is Deep Maroon Metallic as it is the only color that's even closed to it on the Jeep '82 paint code sheet but I'm not sure.
2) I need to buy a matching spare wheel and tire to mount on the back and I'm not sure exactly what wheels are on the Jeep and I cannot find where to buy these tires at, either. The wheels are American Racing and I'm THINKING, but certainly not positive, that they are Polished Baja's but I could be wrong. Those also come in 7", 8", and 10" versions. I'm assuming they're not 7" since the tires are 12.5's but aside from that, I have no clue if they are 8's or 10's. The tires are Mud King XTs which were originally made by BFG and then switched to Medalist, a sub-company of BFG, but I don't think they make them anymore even though the tires on my Jeep are almost new. Anyone know which wheels these are and where I can find one of these tires in a 33x12.50x15?
3) The Jeep has a nice JVC headunit and two 6"x9" marine speakers mounted on the wheel wells which do okay but I'm looking to upgrade as I'm a bit of an audiophile and the two speakers alone sound thin and don't put out the sound that I'm looking for.
First off, there are two slots in the dash for speakers that don't have anything in them. I tried to figure out how to replace them but I'm not sure of how to get in there. My Jeep has air conditioning and at first glance it looks like it's going to be a ton of work to gain access. Is there an easy way to get in there and what size speakers will fit?
Secondly, has anyone used the Intra-Pod Console that Morris 4x4 sells? It's around $200 for an empty console which is a little pricey but it has a slot for an 8" Sub, two cup holders and a locking storage compartment. Having a Sub between the front seats would be nice but I'm hoping someone has used it to give their opinion. I see that they offer it with Sub and Amp pre-installed. I would like to install a 5-channel Amp to power the two dash speakers and two rear speakers along with the Sub but not sure if it will fit.
Third, are there any pre-built boxes for Subwoofers that would fit between the rear seat and tailgate? Depending on if I use the console w/ Sub and if it's enough on its own, I might need to install some in the rear if there's an easy, effective way to do so.
Lastly, and not so important but still curious, are there any Sound Bars that will work in my CJ? I know that it doesn't have the bars connecting from the hoop behind the front seats to the windshield which is where they normally mount, but is there a way to make one work?
4) I am probably going to install carpet in the Jeep since the floors are Rhino-Lined already. Can anyone recommend a nice carpeting for it and which color should I use? The interior is black/burgundy so I'm thinking black, of course, but don't want to overdo it. Molded would probably be best and look cleanest but they seem to be a bit pricey. Any suggestions?
5) I will need to replace the decals after painting. Are the ones direct from Phoenix Graphix the best/cheapest? It looks like I can get the entire set for $299 with Jeep decals for $9 and a "Door Applique" for $39 that I'm not sure what is. In the picture it looks like it is pointing to the black part on the door but there's a striping line underneath that so I'm assuming that's what it is?
6) The fender flares will need replacement soon and I am trying to decide whether to get factory replacements or upgrade to something like the Bushwhacker/Rugged Ridge 6" Flares. However, I'm thinking something like those would take away from the overall "CJ" look. What do you guys think? Either of those the better option or is there something else out there?
7) The steering wheel and seats are pretty worn out. Is there anywhere to buy original replacements? If so, are there better options out there that are worth the upgrade?
I think that's it for now. haha Sorry for writing so much but thank you for the help!