'82 CJ-7 Renegade - Need Help w/ Build! :) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '82 CJ-7 Renegade - Need Help w/ Build! :)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 07-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
IVIaverick
1982 CJ7 

'82 CJ-7 Renegade - Need Help w/ Build! :)

I bought my first CJ, an '82 CJ-7 Renegade, on Saturday and I am absolutely in love. I've owned two TJ's prior to this and have always admired the CJ's and finally found the perfect one for a fair price so I snatched it up. The stats are listed in my Sig and for being a 30 year old vehicle, it is impressive. The Engine is brand new w/ only a few thousand miles, the T5 was replaced with a T-176, and it has a new Weber carb. I bought it in North Carolina 4 hours from where I live and drove it back and it ran perfectly. It handles well w/ plenty of power and ran 65-70 mph comfortably the entire way back. I couldn't be happier with the purchase and it's incredible to experience the feeling that comes along with owning these old Jeeps. They simply don't make them anything like they used to and the CJ's have a presence and spirit to them that the modern ones disappoint in comparison.

I am not going to overly modify the Jeep as I am looking to restore it to its original look as much as possible. It still has the original paint so my only big plans for the exterior (since it is already lifted with brand new wheels and tires) is a fresh paint job of the original color and decals. For the interior, I am just going to "freshen" it up a bit and improve the sound system. Everything else is in great shape.

I have several questions that I need assistance with:

1) What is the Original Paint Color and Code for my Jeep? I cannot seem to find it. I'm thinking it is Deep Maroon Metallic as it is the only color that's even closed to it on the Jeep '82 paint code sheet but I'm not sure.

2) I need to buy a matching spare wheel and tire to mount on the back and I'm not sure exactly what wheels are on the Jeep and I cannot find where to buy these tires at, either. The wheels are American Racing and I'm THINKING, but certainly not positive, that they are Polished Baja's but I could be wrong. Those also come in 7", 8", and 10" versions. I'm assuming they're not 7" since the tires are 12.5's but aside from that, I have no clue if they are 8's or 10's. The tires are Mud King XTs which were originally made by BFG and then switched to Medalist, a sub-company of BFG, but I don't think they make them anymore even though the tires on my Jeep are almost new. Anyone know which wheels these are and where I can find one of these tires in a 33x12.50x15?

3) The Jeep has a nice JVC headunit and two 6"x9" marine speakers mounted on the wheel wells which do okay but I'm looking to upgrade as I'm a bit of an audiophile and the two speakers alone sound thin and don't put out the sound that I'm looking for.

First off, there are two slots in the dash for speakers that don't have anything in them. I tried to figure out how to replace them but I'm not sure of how to get in there. My Jeep has air conditioning and at first glance it looks like it's going to be a ton of work to gain access. Is there an easy way to get in there and what size speakers will fit?

Secondly, has anyone used the Intra-Pod Console that Morris 4x4 sells? It's around $200 for an empty console which is a little pricey but it has a slot for an 8" Sub, two cup holders and a locking storage compartment. Having a Sub between the front seats would be nice but I'm hoping someone has used it to give their opinion. I see that they offer it with Sub and Amp pre-installed. I would like to install a 5-channel Amp to power the two dash speakers and two rear speakers along with the Sub but not sure if it will fit.

Third, are there any pre-built boxes for Subwoofers that would fit between the rear seat and tailgate? Depending on if I use the console w/ Sub and if it's enough on its own, I might need to install some in the rear if there's an easy, effective way to do so.

Lastly, and not so important but still curious, are there any Sound Bars that will work in my CJ? I know that it doesn't have the bars connecting from the hoop behind the front seats to the windshield which is where they normally mount, but is there a way to make one work?

4) I am probably going to install carpet in the Jeep since the floors are Rhino-Lined already. Can anyone recommend a nice carpeting for it and which color should I use? The interior is black/burgundy so I'm thinking black, of course, but don't want to overdo it. Molded would probably be best and look cleanest but they seem to be a bit pricey. Any suggestions?

5) I will need to replace the decals after painting. Are the ones direct from Phoenix Graphix the best/cheapest? It looks like I can get the entire set for $299 with Jeep decals for $9 and a "Door Applique" for $39 that I'm not sure what is. In the picture it looks like it is pointing to the black part on the door but there's a striping line underneath that so I'm assuming that's what it is?

6) The fender flares will need replacement soon and I am trying to decide whether to get factory replacements or upgrade to something like the Bushwhacker/Rugged Ridge 6" Flares. However, I'm thinking something like those would take away from the overall "CJ" look. What do you guys think? Either of those the better option or is there something else out there?

7) The steering wheel and seats are pretty worn out. Is there anywhere to buy original replacements? If so, are there better options out there that are worth the upgrade?

I think that's it for now. haha Sorry for writing so much but thank you for the help!

258 Inline-6 ::: SR4 4-Speed ::: Dana 300 ::: Dana 30 / AMC 20 ::: Rough Country 4" Lift ::: 33x12.50x15 Mud Kings
IVIaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Congrats on converting to the CJ side... I have felt the same way for the 20 years I've been driving them.

Your post has so many different types of "CJ" questions that it would be best to split them up into separate threads to make answering them easier for most. So Ill give some quick answers to get you going.

1. On a second VIN tag located on your firewall under the brake master, there is a 2 digit code in the bottom center...that is your color code.
2.The American Racing and Eagle Alloys Baja rims look almost the same. The way to tell is in the difference in backspacing. Width is measured inside the bead of the rim. So overall width, minus one inch is it. They look 10 inch wide. Good luck on the tire. If its a spare, Use anything close to the tread design or use a tire cover that matches the clean looks.
3. 5.25 inch bottom mount single axle speaker. Studs welded on the back inside of dash. AC lowers with the 4 screws along the front. Lower it to the trans tunnel and work around. There are overpriced boxes, but I always make my own. Sound bars put one speaker inches from your outer ear and feet away from the inner ear...not good stereo IMO.
4. Auto Custom carpets deluxe kits. Do not glue any in.
5. There are a few and that's about the price. The door decal is the textured color part on the upper section on the doors main part.....by the handle.
6.Some require cutting and will change the look. Most are harder and textured different than the OEM ones.
7. IF you want original look, any of the wheels up to 95 YJs and even the XJs will bolt right on. Offset on the spokes may be different, but horn buttons will swap too. Aftermarket seats are generally taller than the OEM and fit is hit or miss. There is upholstery kits for OEM seats offered on Ebay. That would be my choice as they are more comfortable.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Good luck with the CJ but ditto on splitting these things up.

As a serious audiophile you will appreciate it is a waste of time in a CJ, just enjoy the soundtrack of the engine, the rattles, the mysterious clunks and squeals.
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
1983 CJ7 

That is a very nice CJ7 and your plan to keep it semi-stock is cool
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
lewis09
1977 CJ7 

I wish that mine was that nice when i started.... nice CJ man
lewis09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.