'81 ECM help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '81 ECM help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
broncridingirl
1981 CJ5 

'81 ECM help

I have a stock '81 CA emissions CJ5 with the Iron Duke and unfortunately a computer that is apparently bad.
It started running rough when it hit closed loop after it warmed up, especially under load between 2000-2500 rpm. A friend tried to diagnose it and couldn't get the computer to give him a "code 12" and seems like maybe wires have been screwed with. So, I took it into a local smog shop and he determined that I have a bad 02 sensor and also the computer is bad. The 02 sensor has been replaced and he said he could get me a new computer for it.
So, my question is, what are my options? I would like to keep it smog-able in CA because although I have no intention of selling it, I don't want to make it so I can't at some point in the future. But, if there is something I can do that is somewhat easily reversable if I decide to sell it, I'm game. How reversable is a nutter bypass? Other carb kits?
Thanks for your input!

broncridingirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.