JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   81 CJ7 passed down to me (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/81-cj7-passed-down-me-1553047/)

philwil 07-24-2013 09:12 AM

81 CJ7 passed down to me

3 Attachment(s)
Kind of a story behind it but my father-in-law called and asked if I wanted his 81 CJ7, and of course i did! I bought a TJ in 97, first year released and took him 4-wheeling some time in 98. He loved it and called me up soon after to go look at jeeps with him. He ended up buying the 81 CJ7 and has had it since. He only drove it occasionally on the weekends and has not even done that over the last couple of years. I kept my TJ for 11 years and ended up selling a few years ago, since it was my DD and had no air condition and did not have enough room for the kids. Anyway, here are some pictures and I'll follow up as I go through it and figure out what I need to repair/modify.

acemics 07-24-2013 10:44 AM

Very nice! He must really not like you and want you divorced from his daughter if he is giving you his CJ :-) jk. Best of luck mate.

Ken4444 07-24-2013 11:01 AM

Congrats on the Jeep. How well does the engine start, idle, and run at street and freeway speeds?

MoC 07-24-2013 11:07 AM

Nice score sir. Looks like a good jeep to mold into what u want and it has a good story behind it.

wellmax 07-24-2013 11:19 AM

Nice Jeep, he knew you would take care of it for him.

always nice to have something with a bit of family history behind it.

philwil 07-24-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken4444 (Post 15713392)
Congrats on the Jeep. How well does the engine start, idle, and run at street and freeway speeds?

Starts right up and I drove it on the freeway @ 65mph for 2 hours to get it home. Pretty good ride and ran okay. New spark plugs now and running great.

philwil 07-24-2013 11:50 AM

Fun Begins!

2 Attachment(s)
In order to install a new dash pad, laid the windshield down and found an unpleasant surprise, although not that surprised, since I knew water was leaking in. So, new windshield frame ordered.

MoC 07-24-2013 02:16 PM

The next unpleasant surprise is going to how poorly the aftermarket frames are made and how poorly they fit.

Jeeprage 07-24-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoC (Post 15714113)
The next unpleasant surprise is going to how poorly the aftermarket frames are made and how poorly they fit.

lol. 2nd. The cowl seal fits absolutely terribly.

Like the Jeep though, and that is the exact wheel cover I was looking for in my thread from Monday.

MightyLampshade 07-24-2013 02:42 PM

Do yourself a favor and read up a bit on how to remove the windshield glass without destroying it and then how to reinstall it. There are several people who swear by a twine method that I was totally unable to duplicate but a large plastic scraper and some patience ended up working out alright installing the replacement windshield glass for me

Ken4444 07-24-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philwil (Post 15713574)
.. found an unpleasant surprise, although not that surprised..

You can get water leaking in even with a new windshield frame :)

Anyhow, be prepared for more surprises along the way. The deeper you dig into a CJ (or any old vehicle), the more surprises you will find.

MoC 07-24-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyLampshade
Do yourself a favor and read up a bit on how to remove the windshield glass without destroying it and then how to reinstall it. There are several people who swear by a twine method that I was totally unable to duplicate but a large plastic scraper and some patience ended up working out alright installing the replacement windshield glass for me

X2

Personally I would buy the seal and take it to an auto glass installer. To me its just not worth the aggravation or worth the chance of destroying the seal and having to buy another one.

philwil 07-25-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoC

X2

Personally I would buy the seal and take it to an auto glass installer. To me its just not worth the aggravation or worth the chance of destroying the seal and having to buy another one.

Yep, that's the plan. I'm going to prime, paint & clear coat the frame with rustoleum auto paint and then have the windshield installed by professional.

CJ7ROB 07-25-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philwil (Post 15716717)
Yep, that's the plan. I'm going to prime, paint & clear coat the frame with rustoleum auto paint and then have the windshield installed by professional.

Was thinking of doing the same for mine. What is about the going price for a auto glass place to do a job like this? Just so I know I don't get ripped off, thx.

Jeeprage 07-25-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ7ROB (Post 15716823)
Was thinking of doing the same for mine. What is about the going price for a auto glass place to do a job like this? Just so I know I don't get ripped off, thx.

I painted my frame then tried installing new glass and gasket myself and tore the new gasket. I then paid a glass shop to do it for me, and it was $100 to come to me and install it. Worth the money. I wouldn't bother trying again.

The time now is 10:45 AM.