81 CJ7 Clifford 258 Engine flutter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ7 Clifford 258 Engine flutter

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

UPDATE:
Hey guys, so iv spent some time on the Jeep and preformed the "Team Rush" upgrade with the larger cap, new rotor, wires, and spark plugs. This helped but I don't think this is causing my problem. After playing around with it and doing some research I found that the carb. seems to be way out of tune. So before I do anything else iv started a new thread dedicated to upgrading vs rebuilding my carb. Here's the link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/81.../#post15601432

Thank you all for your advice, ill report back to this thread with any improvements in the flutter.
-Knox

KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #17
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

UPDATE: I did a little work on the carb. taking out the idle tubes and giving them a thorough cleaning with carb. cleaner. My results were spectacular. My idle smoothed way out! Before I could only smooth the engine out a little by pulling the choke out and closing up the carb. Now open or closed it doesn't matter always smooth.

Im still getting a little bit of a flutter at higher RPMs but iv got my fingers crossed that that's a vacuum leak.

-Knox
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

UPDATE: Problem solved. I did a complete rebuild on the carb. and adjusted everything back to stock settings. I think the floats were set to sit to low in the bowl.

Thank you everyone who helped!! I really appreciate it!

-Knox

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.