81 CJ7 Carter BBD To upgrade or not to upgrade? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ7 Carter BBD To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved d

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #31
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

I decoded the vin, didnt say anything about the emission set up? Any other ways?

-Knox

KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #32
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxButler View Post
I decoded the vin, didnt say anything about the emission set up? Any other ways?

-Knox
Knox,
Are there any Emissions stickers on the front grill/radiator support? Like CEC or Air pump equipped? Or did the PO paint over them... God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
The EGR is the bell shaped thing on your intake manifold, right under the carb:

The CTO is a funny looking thing just forward of the EGR on the manifold. Cylindrical, with 2-5 ports coming out of the top of it. Sorta like this:

The Ca. model had a different type.
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/cto.htm

LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

UPDATE: I rebuilt the carb as Jon In Tucson advised and it worked beautifully! Smooth idle and smooth at high rpms.

However I still have yet to do a full replacement of the vacuum lines because of a lack of a CTO or "ported vacuum switch" as a great deal of the important things were routed to it or from it. So I have ordered the part from Autozone and as soon as it gets here ill set to work on replacing all the lines.

-Knox
KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.