81 CJ7 Carter BBD To upgrade or not to upgrade? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ7 Carter BBD To upgrade or not to upgrade?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Tell you what... Im blown away by how much of a difference the venturi clean out made. The idles almost perfect! A few small hiccups but I think that that's just a idle mixture screws, but other than that its perfect! Thank you so much.

Now I still have a bit of a fluttering when I hold it at a higher rpm, could that be the mixture screws too? Anyway I think im going to tackle the vacuum hoses tomorrow and ill let you know if that has any effect.

Thank you again
-Knox

KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Knox-
I've run the Carter BBD on my 4.2l for 25 years. I actually have it running as smooth today as when I drove it off the dealer lot. Great advise on the idle tube fix (this can be done without removing the whole carb). In addition to the clogged idle tubes, other causes for your symptoms are with vacuum leaks. I use carb cleaner to identify leaks (some folks get nervous about fire, but I've used it for years-knock on wood-with nary a problem). Check for a leak at the EGR valve as well. This is a sneakly little spot for a leak that will leave you scratching your head.

As long as the throttle shaft isn't wallowed out, you CAN get the Carter idling well. And don't be afraid to yank that sucker off and rebuild it. They're not near as complex as you would think.

Keep us posted!
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Hey pman, yes I'm really happy with my results after cleaning out the "idle tubes". I think I'm still going to post some pictures of my carb. maybe a video of its operation, just to confirm that everything looks like its working relatively like it should.

About the vacuum leaks, as iv said before I plan on replacing the lines. However what you said about the EGR valve caught my eye because iv noticed that mine has no line even running to it.

Anyway hopefully I manage to do a good job replacing the vacuum lines. When you check for leaks with carb. cleaner... are you spraying it on the lines and looking for bubbles? If so could you use soppy water, or would you be concerned with getting it in the carb. and thus into the engine?

-Knox
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #19
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

No, Vacuum sucks so soapy bubbles won't work as well.
When you use sprays and such to check for leaks, you are looking for a change in RPM or smoothness in the idle. Any change will indicate an area were there is a leak.

I just switched from a YF to a BBD and I'm happy so far.

Make sure your throttle bushings are good. I had remarkable results after getting them fixed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MmCF9Pop_wc
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #20
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The stepper BBD baseplates seem to be made of a softer material then the non-stepper plates.

His choke isn't working I believe too. But fixing vacuum lines and leaks are more important.

Go to my YouTube channel "EugeneKingify" and watch the choke operation videos.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

I have had very good luck using very-soapy water to find vac. leaks.
Just got to watch the bubbles and listen for an rpm change. I also use a tach for the vac. leak test/hunt.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
I have had very good luck using very-soapy water to find vac. leaks.
Just got to watch the bubbles and listen for an rpm change. I also use a tach for the vac. leak test/hunt.
LG

I guess if it's very soapy.
do the bubble disappear?

Next time I get a leak, I'll have to try it and get a video. Maybe I'll try an old rotted vacuum hose and see what happens.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #23
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Yes, you can see them get sucked in.
You will also hear the rpms change for a bit because of the sealing action of the soapy water. The rpms can go up or down depending on how much got sucked inside.
I mix it just thick enought to be able to spray it.
John-Would really like to see that vid

TO the OP-Take some carb cleaner and flush out the stepper motor area where you see the pins. A small piece of crud can jam them just like the v'cluster. ALSO, made sure the ele. plug on the stepper motor is clean with good contacts to the harness.

LG
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Im going to fix the vacuum today and see what happens, after that ill check out 86cjs video on chokes.

Thanks guys
-Knox
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Could anyone help me find my EGR CTO valve I cant seem to find it, or where it should be rather.

-Knox
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

The EGR is the bell shaped thing on your intake manifold, right under the carb:

The CTO is a funny looking thing just forward of the EGR on the manifold. Cylindrical, with 2-5 ports coming out of the top of it. Sorta like this:

walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Ok I dont have a CTO, what are my next steps? I dont even see a spot where it should screw into...

-Knox
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Is this a 49 state Jeep or Ca. model?
LG
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

No idea, how do i tell?

-Knox
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxButler View Post
No idea, how do i tell?

-Knox
IIRC-it's coded in the VIN. Don't remember the code.....
LG

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.