81 CJ7 Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ7 Build

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 05-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

81 CJ7 Build

Getting started

Test fitting the NV-4500

Random shot

The NV

Disassembly begins

Front Clip

Empty bay

Tired 304 (to be replaced by rebuilt 360 currently in the shop)

Body off

Another body off shot

Differentials

Leaf springs... etc...

Frame

Sandblasting begins

Rear Differential before

Rear Differential after

Front Differential

Leaf Springs

Bumpers

Misc Parts

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
It's a Jeep thing, I don't even understand it sometimes.
1981 CJ-7, AMC 360 bored .30 over, Edelbrock Intake, Edelbrock Cam, Edelbrock Double Roller Timing Chain, Holly 650 truck avenger carb, Flowcooler water pump. '97 Dodge 4wd Std NV4500. D300 Twin Sticked. Corbeau Seats, Custom Dash with Autometer guages, Electronic Speedo, all stainless hardware, Outlaw II Wheels, BFG AT 33" Tires, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, AGR steering box, Borgeson steering shaft, ididit tilt column, Mean Green Starter, Tuffy console, poly gas tank, handmade rear bumper, cheap radio and speakers.

2000 XJ - HO 4.0L, 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. PSC gearbox. IRO Double Shear Trackbar. New headliner. IRO Hack & Tap SYE. IRO adjustable UCA & LCA, RE 3.5" lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disconnects. Future mod: OTK steering, lockers, FIPK, rock sliders, JCR Bumpers, rear storage, high pinion rear (3.55), frame reinforcement, hood louvers, rack lighting.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Most blasted parts

Painted Frame

Painted Parts

Frame Closeup

The rebuild begins

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:
1981 CJ-7, AMC 360 bored .30 over, Edelbrock Intake, Edelbrock Cam, Edelbrock Double Roller Timing Chain, Holly 650 truck avenger carb, Flowcooler water pump. '97 Dodge 4wd Std NV4500. D300 Twin Sticked. Corbeau Seats, Custom Dash with Autometer guages, Electronic Speedo, all stainless hardware, Outlaw II Wheels, BFG AT 33" Tires, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, AGR steering box, Borgeson steering shaft, ididit tilt column, Mean Green Starter, Tuffy console, poly gas tank, handmade rear bumper, cheap radio and speakers.

2000 XJ - HO 4.0L, 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. PSC gearbox. IRO Double Shear Trackbar. New headliner. IRO Hack & Tap SYE. IRO adjustable UCA & LCA, RE 3.5" lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disconnects. Future mod: OTK steering, lockers, FIPK, rock sliders, JCR Bumpers, rear storage, high pinion rear (3.55), frame reinforcement, hood louvers, rack lighting.
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Cherokeester
1980 CJ7 

Wow, a lot of work there. I admire your garage and work space! Jeep is looking great too.
Cherokeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Hey Cherokee...

I appreciate the complement.

I can't take credit for the garage though, it is behind my uncles machine shop. It is all his stuff, I am just
borrowing it to fix up my jeep. I do take credit for the jeep though... and that is, like you said, a lot of work.

Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:

Unread 05-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

So you went from installing an NV4500 to this?
Unread 05-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
GuacaTex
1981 CJ7 

Wow. That's way to clean of a CJ for a build.

Nevertheless,

GT
GuacaTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
sbc61
1986 CJ7 

Sweet setup, nice jeep, great paint skills......Dang I'm jealous.
Unread 05-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
1983 CJ7 

Sandblasting everything at the beginning will save you at least a year of weekend parts stripping!

Looks great so far
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Aite, I got to do some work on it on Tuesday...

Cleaned up the differentials and got the rear primed and painted, and got the front primed.

It was 97 degrees here, but working on a jeep made it all ok... didn't even care.

After washing down the diffs with simple green to get rid of oil and whatever else was on there... the surface rust appeared almost immediately, so I rushed out with the rustoleum and started painting.. worked pretty well..

Monday I hit the blasting again to finish up the headers, shocks, steering box and shaft, axle housing U-bolts, NV4500 Trans and D300 xfer case... and whatever else I see... it is an awesome blaster.

Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:

Unread 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
So you went from installing an NV4500 to this?
hahahaha.

Yes.

Crazy huh.

That is how my jeep has gotten all its upgrades... I see something I don't like and can't quit.

Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:

Unread 05-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
danattherock
1981 CJ7 

Looks awesome man. Thanks for sharing the pics. Looking forward to seeing more. Got an 81 myself, but not as adventurous of an upgrade in my future. Sure is nice to see these older Jeeps getting the attention they deserve.

-Dan
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

Gotta say man, that is looking pretty nice...cant wait to see the rest.
Superjeep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Well,

Since I was off work today, and the wife agreed to watch little man (1 year old), I made it to the shop to do some more blasting. The sandblasting gear is hard to get set up so it is best to be able to give it a few hours of serious blasting to make up for the trouble.

I did some good blasting and painting, now I just have the worries of sand in places it shouldn't be. Anyone know the best way to flush a transmission? Kerosene? The boot on top has a small crack in it and some sand must have gotten in there. I just don't want to take chances with any sand in the gears... anyhow, I blasted the NV4500, Dana 300, steering shaft, one rear drum, bell housing and other misc parts.

So ready to get this thing back together, but I'm thinking it will be Fall before it is driveable.

Suited up and blasting

AGR

Dana 300

NV4500

Valve Cover

Bell Housing

NV Painted

Dana 300 Painted

Pallets of parts

Front differential - painted the wrong color... flat black. I didn't know I had the flat can, now I have to repaint it semi-gloss to match the rear. Maybe tomorrow?

Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:

Unread 05-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Wow, Great job so far.
Although why would anybody upgrade to an AGR box and then reuse the weak factory mounting brackets
I hope you have plans to replace them.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Hey everybody, thanks for the comments. Sure is a lot of work but well worth the effort.

LT1, I actually didn't realize that the factory brackets were too weak for the AGR. I only bought
the AGR to help my steering, and it sure has. I also bought the Borgeson steering shaft, which
has been great as well.

You think I will have problems with my brackets?

Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.