81 CJ7 Brake line issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ7 Brake line issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Demetri
1981 CJ7 

81 CJ7 Brake line issues

Hey Everyone,

I'm having some issues with taking off my front right brake line. As well, I'm not entirely sure if I need to take it off.
I've taken some photos, I was hoping that some of you could help me out.

Here is my brake hose, which I am trying to connect to the current brake line. It doesn't seem to fit:

Brake line it's self:

So my question is:
Do I have the right size of hose to fit that line?
Do I need to replace the line?

If so, how do I get that line off?

Demetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Demetri
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mouse View Post
if your are replacing the brake line, there are specific wrenches for brake lines, specifically a 'flare nut wrench'. i'd leave the bracket on, the only thing holding the brake line on now is the flare nut on the front. then trace the brake line back to the other side and there you have completly taken the whole brake line off. if you take that nut off also that new hose with the new flare nut should adapt to the brake line.
Thank you for your response!

Which nut would I take off? I'm sorry for my stupidity lol
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Demetri,

Hang on a second. That is not the brake line for that fitting at all! That looks like a "through the frame" brake line fitting which many off road people do and street rodders do to keep their flexible brake lines short so they don't get snagged or in the way of tight clearances. Your brake line has a machined slot in it where a "brake line clip" holds it into a bracket... but it doesn't look like the bracket you have there. Do you have the old flexible lines? The bracket with the "through the frame" fitting would have a flexible hose with a hex nut fitting on the end of it to tighten down to that flared fitting.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Demetri
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mouse View Post
heck, take the one off the new one and thread it to the old one. that way the brake line wont move. or since its a new hose you're replacing (?) take the flare nut off the old brake line maybe its a 5/8ths 3/4 possibly flare nut wrench size. the nut thats on the bracket surrounding the brake line. what year is them hose? passenger or drivers side? if you are just replacing the hose because its frayed , I really wouldnt worry about replacing the entire brake line unless its leaking brake fluid.
This line would be the passenger line. I'm not entirely sure on the age, if I were to guess I'd say it's been there since 1981.

Can I take the flare nut off that end of the line and replace it with a smaller one?

Thank you for all of your advice.
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Demetri
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SASjeepster View Post
Demetri,

Hang on a second. That is not the brake line for that fitting at all! That looks like a "through the frame" brake line fitting which many off road people do and street rodders do to keep their flexible brake lines short so they don't get snagged or in the way of tight clearances. Your brake line has a machined slot in it where a "brake line clip" holds it into a bracket... but it doesn't look like the bracket you have there. Do you have the old flexible lines? The bracket with the "through the frame" fitting would have a flexible hose with a hex nut fitting on the end of it to tighten down to that flared fitting.

Take care,
Thank you so much for that answer, that was exactly what I needed to hear.

I do not have the old hose as the previous owner shredded the thing.

Here is a website that has hoses that are similar to what I had before, and came up with a simple google search of: "thru the frame cj7 brake hose"
http://inlinetube.com/Brake%20Hoses%...ss/sshoses.htm

Would those be what I am looking for? If so, which one?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.