Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

81 cj7

1K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  keith460 
#1 ·
Hello people. Just bought a 81 cj7, it needs a little tlc, but its perfect.
Got a question. Its got some nice tires on it and I dont want to lift anymore. However my front tires scrub a little when turning. I was looking at 1 1/2 wheel spacers??? Suggestions for a Rookie??

#4 ·
Spacers add a weak point to the system, and when things go bad they go really bad.

If you are rubbing while turning the three best options you have are to:
(1) Get narrower tires.
(2) Adjust the stops on your knuckles to limit your turning radius.
(3) Get wheels with appropriate backspacing for the tires your are running. This is the one I went with and I think most people would recommend.

#7 ·
I was actually talking about the stress on the wheel studs. I have seen and read about too many times that a wheel has come off, or almost come off, while running spacers to personally recommend them.

#9 ·
Spacers don't add any more stress to the bearings or spindle than a wheel with less backspacing would.

A quality spacer, like those made by Spidertrax, have their own lug studs and attach via the stock lug studs. Neither set of studs has an additional amount of leverage added to them.

#13 ·
Not all spacers are created equally and people don't torque them properly and re-check them as recommended.

People don't post about successes like they do failures as well.
I definitely agree that people post more about the failures than they do about the successes.

I'm not sure I agree that it comes down to proper torque and routine checks though. The same could/should be said about just putting on a wheel but a lot of people are lazy about that too. I don't hear about those failures nearly as often.

#14 ·
No, it's not the same as putting on a wheel. There's plenty of information on similarities and differences on the web if you really want to know more.

For pertinent information that the OP needs for his application Matt summed it up accurately in post #6.

#15 ·
I've done the reading already, I just disagree with your conclusion.

You are right, however, that there is enough information here for the OP to research the best option for him.

#16 ·
Have you actually used a quality wheel spacer though?

It's not the same as installing a wheel because you're clamping one more layer. There are also lug centric spacers and hub centric spacers, each of which apply force to the lugs differently. To come to a conclusion that they are bad because people go cheap and can't follow directions is short sighted.

Spidertrax is just down the road from you. Go down there and talk to Eddie about spacers and check out all the other cool stuff they always have going on in their shop. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Have you actually used a quality wheel spacer though?
I was wondering the same. There's lots of Google based opinions out there.

I would recommend Spidertrax spacers to anyone. In over 5 years, mine have never needed to be re-torqued, nor have they caused any additional wear and tear.

The increased stability and better looks of the wider stance far outweigh any minor downfalls of quality spacers, IMO.

Matt

#18 ·
I guess I'm the only one who hasn't seen/read about these numerous reports of catastrophic failures with wheel spacers....

I run 1.5" spacers on my 81 with no trouble at all.

#20 ·
I guess I'm the only one who hasn't seen/read about these numerous reports of catastrophic failures with wheel spacers....
I haven't either.

Perhaps those claiming to have "logically researched" spacers, but have no first-hand experience with them, can share some documented failures with us.

As for what's worse on ball joints between spacers and wheels with less backspace, it's fairly simple physics. You are shifting the weight of the wheel and tire away from the joint in both cases, so the effect is the same. I suspect larger than stock tires have a greater negative impact on ball joints than either spacers or less backspace.

Matt

#23 ·
Matt1981CJ7 said:
Actually, you sunk much further. I made no personal attacks. I simply suggested you back up your claims with documented evidence. Perhaps a shot of heroin would do you some good. :rolleyes: Matt
If it was this one instance, then I'd shake it off, but there's more then a few threads out there where feathers have been ruffled. I have to admit, some of your comments do come across a bit on the smug side.

#24 ·
Just my opinion, but I think tire/wheel mass vs use would be deciding factors for me, In other words if I was gonna run 31x10.50s for light trail use I wouldnt worry much, if on the other hand I was gonna beat it fairly hard with 38x15 boggers I would probably not use them. just my thoughts....OCG

#25 ·
Every post I ever saw on wheel spacer failure was due to improper installation/maintenance. Over torquing, under torquing, not re-checking them.

I flogged the snot out of my Rugged Ridge lug centric spacers for a couple of years. Beating them through the rocks every other weekend, and driving 200+ miles during the week. Ran 35" tires with wide, low backspaced rims.

Never had a single issue. They were torqued to the recommended 95 ft/lbs, lock tight used liberally, and the torque checked after a few days of running at 90 ft/lbs so as not to break the lock tight loose. I never had so much as a single nut come loose.

I will admit that working on things, especially the rear axle with drums, was a PITA with 40 lug nuts to torque, run, remove wheels, check spacers, re torque wheels, etc... as soon as everything was torqued, and re-torqued, I would have to remover them to fix something and do the entire process again.

I am glad I went wider and did away with the spacers, but there was never any safety concern with them. Just my laziness factor.....

#26 ·
I will admit that working on things, especially the rear axle with drums, was a PITA with 40 lug nuts to torque, run, remove wheels, check spacers, re torque wheels, etc...
Your right skizriz, never thought of that. 40 lugs nuts to deal with during routine maintenance, forget that chit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.