81 CJ7 258 is dead - Advice on replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ7 258 is dead - Advice on replacement

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 09-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
herrmc
1986 CJ7 

81 CJ7 258 is dead - Advice on replacement

- I am going to ramble... will try to keep it to a minimum -

- I have 5 Jeeps
81 CJ7 - bone stock with 258
81 CJ7 - bad block... lots of mods - this thread is about this jeep
86 CJ7 - Nice trail jeep, Mopar EFI, several other moderate mods.
94 YJ --> rollover - bought for the 4.0 - MPFI
08 JK --> not relevant to this thread... but didn't want it to feel left out.

I have a CNC Mll ... and CNC plasma ... relevance is I can make some parts if needed.

... I have several "orphaned" Engines (mostly chevy small blocks)... (I do have a 396 big block... but can't see it being a good choice for my jeep)

- I originally purchased the 94 YJ to put the 4.0 and FI in my stock 81 cj7... but the 258 and carb in it just won't mis-behave ... I mostly just use it around the farm.

- I just (last week) purchased another 81 CJ7 (setup for rocks)...
--- 37" tires
--- Dana 44 front and rear (Detroit in Rear, EZ Locker in front)
----- I do not yet know the gears in the Diffs...
--- Has the Dana 300, twin stick, (was told it has 4:1 conversion)
--- T-176 transmission
--- The 258 in it was fairly fresh... but it broke a piston skirt, and damaged the block cylinder beyond reasonable repair... Previous owner removed the 258 and dis-assembled... about 6 months ago.

--- the bad 258 had been fitted with a TBI ... I have that on-hand

++++++++++++++++

I have several options for the replacement engine .... I am leaning toward using the 4.0 from the YJ (it had 122,000 miles ... and ran good... I think it had some intermittent PCM issues though).

Options:
- 4.0 from the YJ Rollover
- 1994 RAM 1500 truck I have, with either 318 or 360? (FI) 94,000 runs good.
- Chevy small blocks.... 305, several 350's, one 400 SB, and.. one of the 350's is from a 98 truck... MPFI .. but the engine would need a rebuild.

++++++++++++++++

Over the last couple of days, I have removed the Fenders, Hood, Tub from the YJ .... the PCM and Wiring harness removed as well.... I am now ready to dismantle and remove the 4.0 .... Plan to clean it up, run compression tests on each cylinder... and probably crack open the Oil pan and take a look at the bearings??? (I am old school chevy engine experienced... this will be my first time in a jeep engine)..... From those tests will decide if internal work is needed..... clean it up, paint it nice.... then put it in the (new to me) 81

- I have read a couple of threads about the viability of swapping in the 4.0 .... I don't see anything there that scares me much.... I am interested in feedback from those that have been there ....

Attaching 3 pictures -
1.) the YJ a couple of days ago before I started on it
2.) the YJ tonight
3.) the new to me 81 on the trailer...

94-yj-before-dismantle.jpg   94-yj-progress-dismantle.jpg   81-crawler.jpg  
herrmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Assuming the 4.0 is good that sounds like a good path to take. I did it and it was not that hard. You will have to come up with a solution for the CPS, I had already put in an AX-15. Other than that, the wiring, and fuel pump, it is pretty much drop-in. My donor engine had over 200k on it and the lower end was in great shape. I could have easily gotten away with just doing the head and changing the timing chain.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
CJShayne
1986 CJ7 

Not to hijack your thread, but how do you like your Mopar EFI in your 86? I've been thinking about this upgrade for mine as well....
CJShayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
herrmc
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJShayne View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but how do you like your Mopar EFI in your 86? I've been thinking about this upgrade for mine as well....
-- Shayne,
- I love it..... the conversion was already done when I purchased the Jeep... runs like a top.... I have taken it to the Ouray area twice.... and it handled the altitude... and the angles much better than my Carb'd jeep.....
Unread 09-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
herrmc
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Assuming the 4.0 is good that sounds like a good path to take. I did it and it was not that hard. You will have to come up with a solution for the CPS, I had already put in an AX-15. Other than that, the wiring, and fuel pump, it is pretty much drop-in. My donor engine had over 200k on it and the lower end was in great shape. I could have easily gotten away with just doing the head and changing the timing chain.
- I had the benefit of getting the donor engine in a running vehicle.... It ran very well.... the only problem I had was that it would randomly die... and not start... then later would run just fine..... I am pretty sure that it was/is a PCM problem.... I have read that some of them have some loose connections on the inside....
Unread 09-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
herrmc
1986 CJ7 

I forgot to mention.... an added bonus (I hope)....

---- The 81 that I just purchased with the bad engine...... was setup with the TBI (howell).... Since I will not be using it in the jeep it came in.... I will have it to transfer to the stock 81 if desired....
Unread 09-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

What is your plans for the jeep? Keep it set up for rocks and what not? comfortable driver?

I am kinda leaning towards your chevy small block options and swap in an automatic as well. This may be the better option for offroading. If it's around town or cruising, do the 4.0 and keep the T-176
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

How 'bout taking the guts out of the 4.2 with the bad block and building a stroker?

Shawn
Unread 09-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmc View Post
- I had the benefit of getting the donor engine in a running vehicle.... It ran very well.... the only problem I had was that it would randomly die... and not start... then later would run just fine..... I am pretty sure that it was/is a PCM problem.... I have read that some of them have some loose connections on the inside....
My donor would run good and die fairly quickly, turned out to be a plugged cat. The PCM is potted in rubber, not likely there is any loose connections. I have heard of problems with bad caps causing the fuel pump to never turn on but I don't remember seeing anything with intermittent quitting.
Unread 09-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
How 'bout taking the guts out of the 4.2 with the bad block and building a stroker?

Shawn
If I had it to do over, I think I would have put the 4.0 in, run it awhile and then turned it into a stroker.
Unread 09-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

I would stay with a solid 4.2 lower, put a #7120 4.0 head on it then use the howel tbi. You will have plenty of power, low end and good gas millage
81azcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.