81 CJ5 Tailgate Latch and Cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ5 Tailgate Latch and Cables

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
NMPhi767

81 CJ5 Tailgate Latch and Cables

I have a feeling that the tailgate on my jeep was taken from a much older CJ due to the metal stamping. I could be wrong though. Nonetheless, I would like a functioning tailgate instead of just having it bolted together. I have found latch kits and cables for a CJ-7. Will these work with the CJ-5? I don't see why not, but you never know. Does anyone have a pic of their tailgate latches so I can see how to put them on?

[URL="http://members.cox.net/joshuaaragon/"]Money Pit[/URL]
NMPhi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
tacjeep99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMPhi767
I have a feeling that the tailgate on my jeep was taken from a much older CJ due to the metal stamping. I could be wrong though. Nonetheless, I would like a functioning tailgate instead of just having it bolted together. I have found latch kits and cables for a CJ-7. Will these work with the CJ-5? I don't see why not, but you never know. Does anyone have a pic of their tailgate latches so I can see how to put them on?
The cables might, but the latch kit won't. The CJ-7 tailgate fits in the tailgate opening, while the CJ-5 tailgate closes against the back of the body tub. You might be able to get the latches to work, but it is doubtful. What I did with my CJ-5 was use bolts through the tailgate chain holes and discarded the chains, a semi solid back as it were.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
NMPhi767

Damn. I guess I will just leave it as it is.

[URL="http://members.cox.net/joshuaaragon/"]Money Pit[/URL]
NMPhi767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.