81 CJ5 build ( Let the fun begin) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ5 build ( Let the fun begin)

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 05-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
JoeUSMC

81 CJ5 build ( Let the fun begin)

Well first off this is not my first post here on the forum, I changed to a new email account and of course I forgot my account password. I paid my dues and joined the form to be able to post pics of my build as I go and for all the help I am going to need along the way.

My rig is a 81 CJ5 that i traded my dad a boat to get. This is the 3rd jeep that I have owned. My first was a 77 CJ7, second was a 92 YJ and now the 81 CJ5.

My Jeep was bone stock except for the Runk Bumpers, and the Chevy 350 that my dad installed back in the early 90's. The motor came out of a 74 Chevy truck with 92,000 miles on it. The Jeep had 94,000 on it when the engine was installed. My Jeep currently has a lil over 96,000 on the clock.

I got the Jeep and after some helpful advise form other members on the forum, I installed a Black Diamond 3 inch lift and some MTR's. I drove the Jeep through the summer and day I destroyed the rear D/S. Fixed the D/S and about two weeks later i through the D/S taking off from a stop sign. The AMC 20 still had the straps and not the u-bolts to secure the D/S to the yoke.

I then deployed to Iraq and the Jeep has sat ever since. I returned home In December. I have since found myself having dreams at night about rebuilding this jeep from the ground up

With that being said, two weeks ago and a few beers later I decided it was time to get this party started.

img_0005.jpg   img_0018.jpg   img_0093.jpg   img_0095.jpg   securedownload-19.jpeg  

JoeUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
JoeUSMC

and some more progress
securedownload.jpeg   securedownload-10.jpeg   securedownload-18.jpeg   securedownload-1.jpeg   photo-2.jpg  

Unread 05-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
JoeUSMC

more progress
securedownload-2.jpeg   securedownload-3.jpeg   securedownload-5.jpeg   securedownload-6.jpeg   securedownload-9.jpeg  

Unread 05-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
JoeUSMC

And thats it for now
securedownload-7.jpeg   securedownload-8.jpeg   securedownload-17.jpeg  
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Yeah!! Another one. I hope yours goes faster than mine!! Good start. Welcome home, and keep the pics coming.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
JoeUSMC

Thanks for the inspiration, and the welcome home. Its going to be a long road ahead, its in my heat to do this build, this Jeep means allot to me, but by no means am I going to build a show Jeep. I want to protect the metal, rebuild the drive train, get rid of the AMC 20. I have not decided if I want to Rhino line the entire body or just do the belly and the floor. I really like the color red and white but well see.

Any advise and places to fine materials for the build will help out allot. I am by no means made of money and cannot afford a full restoration. If at any time you guys think I am doing anything stupid, PLEASE let me know. I have been in the Marine Corps for 10 years, i am vary thick skinned and can take it, so pleas dish it out if needed.
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice! Looks like a pretty solid platform to build on.

Before you get knee deep, I would suggest writing out a detailed plan. Try to list everything you plan to accomplish during the build and list it in a logical order. You can also use the plan to research prices on parts you intend to replace, work you plan to farm out..etc. In the end, it'll help you avoid wasting too much $$$.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a fun build. Seems like a good starting point for a project. Not sure about the red (or crimson?) and white for colors. I would go red and black.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Looks like it is in pretty good shape... about the same shape mine was when I started... I wasn't made of money then either, but I saved $100 a paycheck (200 a month) and when I had enough money, I bought the bigger items... took a couple of years and a lot of sweat equity, but in the end, it was something that I could say I did myself.

First up... buy some work boots... crocs will get your toes mangled.

I know some of us on here paint in flip flops... (ahem Fatman... cough cough.. Fatman), but doing dis-assembly will ruin your feet with all the metal, nuts, bolts and rust around...

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Carmell CJ
1978 CJ5 

First off, welcome home and thank you for your service to this country, I really appreciate it !

Looks like a good project and you have a lot to work with. Pretty cool your Dad installed the small block in it too

Have fun, keep the pics coming.
Unread 05-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Dislsmoke
1985 CJ7 

Looks good keep the pics coming man. And again thanks for serving.

Custom Dashs built to your specs dbldfab@gmail.com
website. http://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/
Dislsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
JoeUSMC

The tube is in great shape, the floor pans have a couple of pin holes but nothing major, in many places the frame still has the coating from the factory.

Louie4: I would never paint in red and white, HAHA! It would be red and black, or white and black.
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Semper Fi and welcome home! My only recommendation is to multiple the time and money that you think it will take/cost to rebuild this thing by 3 and you will probably have an accurate cost and time frame. That 5 looks like it is in decent condition, so you will have a nice starting platform. Just be patient and have some fun with it. Good luck and thanks for your service.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
JoeUSMC

My next step is to pressure wash the frame and take pictures of everything that is coming off. That way i know how to put it back together. Thus far I have bagged and tagged everything that has came off the jeep. It took over two hours to label and disconnect all the wiring.
Unread 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

A digital camera is going to be your best friend... when I did my first one... I had a 35 mm and had to get all the pics "developed"... perish the thought!

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.