81 cj5 85 chevy 350 engine WIRING HELP!!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 cj5 85 chevy 350 engine WIRING HELP!!!!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #31
pook

This may be cause the "main power" wire has a second wire spliced right in the center possibly a ground. Also the head lap tail lamp wires aren't wired yet so I wonder if it sense open circuit since there's not power to said switch

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
pook

Here is PIC with the jeep wired and able to start notice rear lights are on, either not controlled by switch or something is wrong

1378857204912.jpg  
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

I see what you are saying, but I am fairly sure the light switch was just supposed to complete the circuit. There aren't 'main power' and 'sense' wires for the lights, just individual power wires.

Is your reverse light switch (on the transmission) wired? Also, what exactly is the wire you mentioned connected to (both ends)?

Your best bet would probably be to pull off one of the taillight lenses and use a multimeter to find out exactly which wire is supplying the power.
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
pook

The wire powering em I know is the red 10g for main power. But with out that wire is won't turn over.

Which according to the firewall connector pic on the first page of thread. Main power (EY on firewall connector) also is power for all lights.

Unread 09-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #35
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

That 10ga wire is your main chassis power. It powers pretty much everything that isn't connected directly to the engine. However, keep in mind the bulkhead connector diagram posted before is a modified '84-'86 diagram. Yours may be (probably is) slightly different.

What I was trying to say before was that you need to check which wire is delivering power to the light itself (at the tail light end). After passing through the main chassis electrical wire to the bulkhead connector power runs several different routes to get to the tail light (via the brake switch, the turn signal switch, the light switch, and the reverse switch). You need to determine which one is at fault (the wires are color coded). My guess would be that there is a fault in the the reverse switch (mounted on the transmission).

According to the wiring diagram for '81-'83 posted by Jeephammer the three colors should be:
White = Tail Lamp/Brake Light
Light Green w/ or w/o Trace = Turn Signal
White w/ Trace = Backup Lamps
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

You could also check if it is the dual filament bulb or the single filament bulb that is lit up. That would narrow it down some as well.
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #37
pook

The reverse switch pigtail didn't feel like it made a good connect when I plugged it in

Unread 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #38
pook

This picture is the " main power and all lights " power wire. The pic shows where previous owner has a second 10-8g wire spliced in. Please pardon mess in pic I'm just doing test right nows once all is figured out and labeled it'll be cleaned up... Most likely respliced until I get a painless harness

Unread 09-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #39
pook

Just FYI for anyone to add to this post.

The open wire that's been spliced is not a ground wire. Already found that out the hard way

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.