81 cj5 85 chevy 350 engine WIRING HELP!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 cj5 85 chevy 350 engine WIRING HELP!!!!

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pook View Post
Wouldn't it technically be grounded by being mounted in place since the blocks grounded?
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
If your block is properly grounded then the starter solenoid mounted to the side of the Chevy starter should be grounded enough to function. However, a dedicated ground is a good idea.

Are you using just the solenoid on the starter or are you using a double solenoid setup (used for solving the Chevy hot start problem)? Either should work, but the wiring would be a bit different.

Stormpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
pook

Stock Chevy starter for now just to get it running. After its running I'm going to go back band do some house keeping in then engine bay before paint

pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

Double check that you have wire from the ignition switch connected to the 'S' terminal not the 'R' terminal.

After that I would disconnect it and hook it up to a multimeter to see if it is getting power when the key is in start position.
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

Oops, I think it is 'S' not 'I'... I edited that last post to correct it.
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
pook

The starter has no markings on the post. I have one large and one small currently the ignition goes to the small post how do I know which is I and which is r

Unread 09-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

They should be labeled if you look closely, but the small terminal closer to the block should be the 'S' terminal.

Here is a picture from a Chevy forum.

Unread 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
pook

My starter

1378767068606.jpg  
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

Yeah, that should be correct.
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
pook

So my ignition wire is correct and just Mount and should be good? Its not turning over but gauge lights are conning on innonnpositionnbut going off in start position like they should but starter isn't attempting to engage

Unread 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

I would go ahead disconnect the 'S' wire and test with a voltmeter to see if it is getting power when the key is in the start position.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
pook

OK i was able to get starter to spin and engage. But the rear breaks and reverse are always on, the "main" power wire runs to the large "power" post on starter. Obviously without it vehicle doesn't start. Previous own splice a smaller 12 to 8 g wire would that be the ground or would that be the wire to tie into the smaller post to bottom right of solenoid in my pic? Sorry new at wiring

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #27
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you are asking.

When setting up the Chevy starter with a dual solenoid system the 'S' terminal is jumpered to the 'battery' terminal with a short piece of wire. Does that sound like the wire you are asking about? If it does, you do not need it.

The starter in your picture appears to have all the necessary connections (the ignition switch wire connected to the small 'S' terminal and the positive battery wire connected to the large 'battery' terminal). The only thing missing is a proper ground. The starter was designed to be able to ground through the engine block. However, connecting a dedicated ground wire directly from the negative battery terminal to the case of the starter can eliminate grounding problems. The long bolt sticking out of the main starter motor housing (in your picture) would be an excellent place to connect a dedicated ground. Ideally you would want to use the same gauge cable for the ground as the battery cable, but most don't have one at all.

Here is a picture of Fatman's excellent starter set up with a dedicated ground. (His is also set up for dual solenoids. Your red wire should run to the ignition switch not jumper the two terminals.)

Unread 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
pook

I appreciate your help. I have the started mount and spinning. But the rear break lights are now constantly on with and without key in ignition. I'll post pics of starter wiring (if I can) and the lights if need be.

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

Oh... that is interesting....

Is it the brake (red) light or the reverse (white) light?
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
pook

Appears to be both in.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.