81 CJ Dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 81 CJ Dies

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
pickrng
1981 CJ5 

81 CJ Dies

My 1981 CJ seems to run perfectly, and in the last 5-6 times I have driven it 3 times it will run great, then it will just dies. Before I have always been able to start after 1-4 times trying, but this last time I ran the battery down and had to push it. Where should I start trying to figure out the cause of this.

pickrng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Does the engine die very suddently (electrical) or loses power, sputters, then dies (fuel)?
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

When mine did that, I found the cap on the coil was down to one strand of the red wire left.
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

These sudden and erratic failures are difficult to pinpoint. However there are some basic tests you can do when it stops.

FUEL
take off the air cleaner and work the accelerator, you should get a good spurt of fuel. If you have an electric fuel pump it could be an electrical or pump failure. If mechanical this is less likely but check you have fuel at the carb.

IGNITION
The other likely culprit is the ignition. You do not say what setup you have so I assume it is a Duraspark ignition module.

You need to isolate where the problem lies. It may start right up again so this may take some time to track down.

First thing is to get a test light (not the LED kind) and take the leads off the coil to test whether you have voltage and signal. The red with tracer wire should have 7V in Run and 12V in Start, a dim and a bright bulb when you connect to it and the -ve battery terminal.

The green wire should be connected to one end of the test light, other end to the battery +ve. the lamp should blink as you crank the engine.

If all athat works and there is no obvious flaw in the wiring you need to test the coil and distributor. Get an old spark plug and connect it to #1 spark plug lead and rest it on the cylinder head. As you crank you should get a bright blue spark and a good crack.

I suspect you will find it is an intermittent fault in the ignition. I had a short at the connector plug to the ICM, test procedure isolated it pretty quickly.

Once you have it isolated look up Jeephammer's old posts and there are more detailed tests that you can do.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
pickrng
1981 CJ5 

Dies suddenly, happened again last night so I checked to see if it was getting fuel and it is.
pickrng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I found my sudden dying problem was my red wire going to the cap on the coil. It was down to one single strand of wire left, and would randomly die on me.

There is a spade terminal inside the plastic cap, slide the cap off of the coil and have a look. It doesn't cost anything to try.
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Some good advice on here, and BagusJeeps troubleshooting tips are fantastic. His post is definitely the correct way to go about diagnosing your issue. I'm a gambler and have been ridiculously lucky when I foolishly throw parts at my Jeeps. Check for spark at the coil. Odds are it's the ignition module, or, on rarer occassions, the ignition switch under the steering column.
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I found my sudden dying problem was my red wire going to the cap on the coil. It was down to one single strand of wire left, and would randomly die on me.

There is a spade terminal inside the plastic cap, slide the cap off of the coil and have a look. It doesn't cost anything to try.
Just replace it as a maintainance item:

NAPA # EC238. $6.
But it's probably the module. Buy a good one.
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #9
RWise
1981 CJ5 

These modules fail way to often, I went with an MSD 6, more reliable, more power, better etc etc etc.

Put the coffee/beer down:
A friend found on his 'stang he could pee on the ignition module and it would cool enuf to run again, one night, drunk on his as* he forgot to turn off the ignition, when it cooled enuf to work again, well he changed it next day! Shocking,,,
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carberator , distributor , fuel pump

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.