'80 cj7 transmission full of water - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '80 cj7 transmission full of water

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
CallMe_Lockouts
1980 CJ7 

'80 cj7 transmission full of water

i just bought a 1980 cj7 3 weeks ago that had been sitting in a garage for 8 years. after driving it for 2 weeks the transmission started making grinding noises and would not go into 4th gear. i knew the clutch was bad so we replaced it at home and found out the transmission was full of water. we're talking removed the shifter and water was at the very top of the tranny like they poured it down the breather tube. so replaced the clutch and now it will not go into any gear except reverse. any ideas?

CallMe_Lockouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Time for a transmission rebuild...

We ALWAYS tell guys to CHECK EVERYTHING when they get a vehicle that is strange to them, you never know what the Previous Owner (PO) did to it.

Check your AXLES and TRANSFER CASE ALSO!
If the transmission is full, maybe it's a 'Flood Vehicle' that got under water,
Maybe the shifter boot is gone and with no top the water got down the shifter hole in the top...
Maybe it was just driven off into water that was way too deep without waterproofing the transmission, transfer case, axles, ect.

We spend a LOT of time making sure these things are water proofed when we drive through deep water, and now you are seeing why we do this...

By The Way, Welcome to the forum, and you WILL find people here that will work with you until you get this solved...
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
CallMe_Lockouts
1980 CJ7 

well i went out today and the clutch isnt engauging correctly so i'm wondering id i lost the fork ball. and i shifter the Tcase in neutral and can shift but thats about it. but i agree. 4th gear is probably blown
Unread 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

Depending on which tranny you have and where you live it would be pretty cheap and easy to just get a replacement. If yours really sat for 8 years full of water it might not be the best candidate for a rebuild. I know that around here you can find almost any Jeep tranny in working order for around $50-$150. I know for years I looked for a CJ t18 to replace mine instead of doing a rebuild but I had no luck, it did show me how easy and cheap it would be to find a t-176, t-150, t-4 or t-5, etc.
Unread 07-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo View Post
Depending on which tranny you have and where you live it would be pretty cheap and easy to just get a replacement. If yours really sat for 8 years full of water it might not be the best candidate for a rebuild. I know that around here you can find almost any Jeep tranny in working order for around $50-$150. I know for years I looked for a CJ t18 to replace mine instead of doing a rebuild but I had no luck, it did show me how easy and cheap it would be to find a t-176, t-150, t-4 or t-5, etc.
Agreed, even if you could clean everything up and get it back together it probably has some pretty bad pitting on the gear teeth that will make them weaker. Would suck to rebuild it and install it only to have a pitted gear pop weeks later.

You can buy replacement parts for everything, but depending on what you need exactly you likely would be cheaper finding a used one. I personally would not take the time to install anything unknown in to my jeep and have learned that lesson the hard way. Regardless of how few miles, how recent, how whatever the seller tells you I would rebuild it.
Unread 07-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

Might also want to think about finding/building a better tranny. An example of that would be if you have a blown T4 it might be time to put in a t-176 or t18. Just a thought since I think you might be transmission shopping this year. Novak has a TON of info on their site about all the swaps and stock trannys you might want to use, they also sell a high quality rebuild kit with foolproof instructions and no I do not work for them or own stock in their company, I just believe in their product. Good luck,.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
CallMe_Lockouts
1980 CJ7 

so i decided to just go to a self service junkyard in Indianapolis which is having a special that if you can carry any part you can have it for $40 and buy a whole new used tranny. what kind of transmission would be best to look for? and they don't have many wranglers, especially this old because usually they are picked clean so any other transmissions compatible with the 4.2?
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I'm not well versed in this but I'm going to give it a stab. Someone will fix my screwup if I screwup! I THINK you can look for manual trannys out of Ford trucks (T18?) or Chevy trucks (SM465?), but you may have to buy an adaptor (Advance Adaptors or Novaks). They are both very good transmissions, although they will shift like a truck! They will work behind the 258. Not sure what Tcase you have, but I'm guessing a D300.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , clutch , grinding noise , transmission , water

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.