'80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (: - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (:

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #46
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Getting ready for paint, almost there but found some major rust spots that the PO just bondoed :/ this is gonna be fun to patch

forumrunner_20120819_103328.jpg   forumrunner_20120819_103355.jpg   forumrunner_20120819_103426.jpg   forumrunner_20120819_103456.jpg  
Friesc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #47
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Will have more pictures up tomorrow, spent atleast four hours behind the blasting box to get all of the smaller parts done, hinges and what not. Also used some bondo and blocking sanding to even out the sides as the tub was quite wavy. I'm glad I don't work anymore until school starts up next Monday. I can get this done before then!
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #48
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

I'm really bad at following through with these posting pictures claims. Unfortunately it will go on break as I have to go back to university. I have put a layer of primer down on the sand blasted surfaces to prevent flash rusting and will, with luck, get home one weekend to finish the paint and drive it back to school!
Unread 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #49
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rhino on mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesc View Post
It's been too long but Ive got the jeep back and I'm slowly making progress! The tub is lined, and the dash is together for the most part, now I'm going to get the sand blaster out and do all of the smaller pieces like the seat mounts and pedal hardware. I will be out of town for about two weeks coming up so it will put a damper on things. I've got some picture to share!

These first three are stripping down the tub to get it ready.

This dag gamn torx bolt bent or sheared off three separate torxs. Once we got to drilling it out it ate 6 different bits.

Here are two more of the strip

After I got it stripped I was determined to have it prepped properly before I got the liner in. Sand blasting was very efficient.

and the final product of the line-X!

I also told you the dash was coming along. I have some picture of that as well.

The wiring is gonna be a long mess but I'll get it done!

Hope to have some more frequent updates!

I agree.. Looks really sharp! Pro is the way to go... I used rhino on my '65 inside of the tub and dash... Even wrapped the edge the same way you did... Nice build...

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #50
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Wanna trade? You have an incredible beautiful rig and I am envious. How long did that take for you to finish up?

Edit: actually, do you have a build thread?
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #51
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Took several month... 5 as I recall... A lot of planning... And I was able to divide and conquir ... A buddy did the seats from scratch... From a photo... It takes time and money!

Unread 08-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #52
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Thats fantastic. I looked into getting my seat reupholstered and they asked 1200 to do all three. I was put off, I already have around 9000 into it :/
Unread 08-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #53
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My guy owed me a favor... So he did it for $0.00. Refirbed the frames and springs... Retied and padded but they really came out sharp

Unread 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #54
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

I know it's late. Waaay late. If this were something for school I would have long ago failed out.

Here's a quick two min update.

Just picked up some parts from the Powder Coater. The pedals, seat mounts, headlight rings, hinges on the windshield, nearly every minor metal piece you can think of. They all look fantastic, they're in a matte black.
I am going to go pick up the body sometime this week from the paint booth, pulled a few favors and got it done for the price of paint and a case of beer
The biggest thing I'm worried about is going into this and getting the wiring under the dash done right. hopefully will be done by the 25th as an xmas gift to my self :P

Still looking at what I should do with the Hard Top. It's an ACME and It's in great condition except for two things. All of the locks/latches are broken on the Doors and the rear window and the paint needs to be worked on, which will be a pain in the butt. If anyone has any ideas on where to go for the top and locking mechanisms I would much appreciate it!
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #55
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

I have more picture! I am so excited. This look's incredibly good. I'm so psyched!

Here we go!

I'm so psyched! It looks so good! The painter is keeping the fenders, wanted to redo a little bit on the right front. So it will be about a week till I get it back.

What do you all think?
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #56
Brown80CJ5

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesc View Post
I know it's late. Waaay late. If this were something for school I would have long ago failed out.

Here's a quick two min update.

Just picked up some parts from the Powder Coater. The pedals, seat mounts, headlight rings, hinges on the windshield, nearly every minor metal piece you can think of. They all look fantastic, they're in a matte black.
I am going to go pick up the body sometime this week from the paint booth, pulled a few favors and got it done for the price of paint and a case of beer
The biggest thing I'm worried about is going into this and getting the wiring under the dash done right. hopefully will be done by the 25th as an xmas gift to my self :P

Still looking at what I should do with the Hard Top. It's an ACME and It's in great condition except for two things. All of the locks/latches are broken on the Doors and the rear window and the paint needs to be worked on, which will be a pain in the butt. If anyone has any ideas on where to go for the top and locking mechanisms I would much appreciate it!

I was looking into the same thing about my top a couple months ago and by searching this forum came up with the brand Eberhard. If your top is like mine (assuming it is since we both have Acme tops for 1980 5's) then this is what you're looking for. Never looked into it more to find a distributor because I ran into more important fixes (steering, front axle rebuilt, new windshield frame and glass). Looks like they have a lot of different options for this latch. Hope this helps.

Oh and good job on the restoration, its looking great

http://www.eberhard.com/details/pass...restraints/406
206-ur.jpg

Brown80CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #57
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

looks fantastic... we have a TJ in our club the same color... I like the rhino rolled over the edge... Take you time with the wiring... do it right the first time and you will have years of enjoyment. otherwise you will be chancing gremlins for ever.

Unread 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #58
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

@Brown80CJ5 - I found these the other day. Plan on giving them a call here soon to get pricing! Thanks for the link! I'm sorry to hear about the other issues with your jeep. They're always costing money!

@j_bydesign - The wiring is going to be a pain in the buttox. I have a wiring diagram that's even color coded. But for someone who as much wiring experience as me(none) it still doesn't help that much! Fortunately I've got some friends who are good with this kind of thing.

Also - forgot to mention! I ordered all of the the outer accessories in black. So hinges and what not are all going to be in black. Headlight rings and all.
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #59
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Placed an order on those parts for the top yesterday, the top is going to be a tough project on its own! If anyone knows of any resources that I'll probably need, I would appreciate a point in the right direction!
Unread 01-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #60
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

It's getting going. I should upload photos tomorrow. Getting all the wiring mess cleaned up, replaced the ignition key, did the Chevy blazer heater upgrade, hopefully will get the dash up tomorrow. Will also post some pictures.

If anyone goes to do the blazer motor upgrade on the heater, please don't forget you will need the cut out the firewall a bit. That led to frustrations as I didn't read up enough on that one.

Tags
cj5 , restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.