'80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (: - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (:

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Now I'm just waiting on parts.

Today I went in and gt the vacuum stuff coming off the carb all cleaned up, fixed/replaced leaky lines(power steering, radiator). The leaks seem to be done for now, and the back fire is gone. I am thinking that was in the carb somewhere.

Thursday I will be pulling all of the interior and taking it to Line-X of Boise to get done, while it's down there I will be re-doing the entire dash(replacing the pad, the entire panel, and the gauge plate, LED Conversion, and hopefully getting my temp gauge and fuel gauge working properly!)

Friesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #32
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Sneak peak of the dash here in a few days!
forumrunner_20120715_002611.jpg  
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #33
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Have you thought about lining the interior yourself vs having LineX do it? I just sprayed Raptor in mine for a whopping 130.00 (you can see it on the build thread on my signature). Unless the Line X people are giving you a sweetheart deal, doing it yourself can give you extra pocket money for other areas of your Jeep and keep you on your Daddy's good side.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #34
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

I did my TJ with herc, would prefer a profesiona
Job this time.
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
JeepJackwagon
1980 CJ5 

herc is like 30 grit sandpaper. Ouch.. i dont like it either. i have seen some good results with the Monstaliner. it is much smoother and looks durable. most of the labor is the prep work, but i can save you a few $$ if you DIY?? its a personal preference.
JeepJackwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #36
JeepJackwagon
1980 CJ5 

herc is like 30 grit sandpaper. Ouch.. i dont like it either. i have seen some good results with the Monstaliner. it is much smoother and looks durable and it is tintable. most of the labor is the prep work, but i can save you a few $$ if you DIY?? its a personal preference.
JeepJackwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #37
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

I think I'd like to go with the professional job
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #38
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

gonna call again tomorrow and see if they can do the line-x this week now that I have everything for the dash ready to go.

another sneak preview of the dash

Unread 07-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #39
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice build!! I can't wait to see it finished.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #40
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Looked at my list of thinds I'd like to get done before I go back to school.

Replace Radiator
Replace Clutch
LineX
Finish Dash Rewiring and lighting
Paint
Get the back seat and tuffybox in
Get my exhaust leak fixed

Sigh :/ should be uber busy.
Unread 07-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #41
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Not sure if I'm the only one reading this or if it's just cause no one is posting? Hmm Well I'll keep going!

Got the rest of my LEDs in for the full dash conversion AND FINALLY got my jeep forum Sticker, is it bad that I will be displaying it on my dash?
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #42
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Friesc,

You put your "Jeep Forum" sticker wherever the hell you want to. It is your jeep and your sticker. I wouldn't even be leaving such a subjective issue up to forum members. It is your jeep. Have fun. Put it where you want to.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #43
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

I freakin love this forum.
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #44
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Got my appointment to get the Line-X done - including the sandblasting of the tub and a area where I KNOW they will have to cut and weld in a new section (10 sq inches or so) it will cost $700. Goes in on the 25th - out on the 27th
The dash will be put together while the jeep is in, I will also be getting ready to paint and setting up my in home booth! It's almost all together for the summer list, just need to get my transmission looked at(can't seem to figure out where the rattle is from, but almost sure it's in there) and the radiator rebuilt.

Wooo!

Also - if anyone has experience replacing the entire handle on a acme hard top door I would love some input, Mine have rusted off completely and will need replaced before winter comes around.
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #45
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Been too long

It's been too long but Ive got the jeep back and I'm slowly making progress! The tub is lined, and the dash is together for the most part, now I'm going to get the sand blaster out and do all of the smaller pieces like the seat mounts and pedal hardware. I will be out of town for about two weeks coming up so it will put a damper on things. I've got some picture to share!

These first three are stripping down the tub to get it ready.

This dag gamn torx bolt bent or sheared off three separate torxs. Once we got to drilling it out it ate 6 different bits.

Here are two more of the strip

After I got it stripped I was determined to have it prepped properly before I got the liner in. Sand blasting was very efficient.

and the final product of the line-X!

I also told you the dash was coming along. I have some picture of that as well.

The wiring is gonna be a long mess but I'll get it done!

Hope to have some more frequent updates!

Tags
cj5 , restoration

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.